Koodo Community
Solved

$10 data and SMS charge unexplained

I have a $10 Data & SMS charge on my bill however my data usage is well within my plan.  The link on the bill indicates that my data was well within limits. Why am I seeing this charge?

Thanks!

Steven

icon

Best answer by Mayumi 10 August 2021, 06:38

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you post a screenshot of the charge without personal info.

And what plan do you have?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This screenshot us from your overview page.

If you download PDF E-bill, it will show you what the charge is for.

Do you recognize the number, or was it for premium number?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you mind providing us with a screenshot of the data overages or the number you texted that resulted in the additional amount? That way, we can help you out. 

OK. Thanks for that tip.

So, the charge was for US data roaming however I never went to the US. I did not want US roaming. I was on a boat trip and near the US border so it must have picked up the US network. How do I prevent this from happening?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OK. Thanks for that tip.

So, the charge was for US data roaming however I never went to the US. I did not want US roaming. I was on a boat trip and near the US border so it must have picked up the US network. How do I prevent this from happening?

For future reference, you can manually select your network to Koodo. That way, it will not search for any nearby roaming towers. Note that you need to do this again every time you restart your device. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OK. Thanks for that tip.

Go to phone setting and  disable auto select for network operator.

My phone is already set this way. I have (and did have) data roaming turned off and the network operator set to Koodo as below. At the time I received Koodo’s Easy Roam text message stating to reply TRAVEL to add this to my account but I did not do this. I assumed by not taking any action that it would not incur any US roaming charges.  Is there something else I should be doing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My phone is already set this way. I have (and did have) data roaming turned off and the network operator set to Koodo as below. At the time I received Koodo’s Easy Roam text message stating to reply TRAVEL to add this to my account but I did not do this. I assumed by not taking any action that it would not incur any US roaming charges.  Is there something else I should be doing?

That is strange. Other than manually selecting your network and turning off data roaming, there isn’t much else you can do to prevent this from happening again.

The Network Mode auto-connect you are referring to is for LTE/WCDMA/GSM network modes. The only manual options I have are WCDMA or GSM. If I select either of these I would not be able to connect to an LTE network. In any case, why would this setting matter? If I receive a text offering me US Roaming and I don’t respond...why am I being charged?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I meant network operator's auto select off, and manually choose Koodo.

Thanks for the clarification.

On my phone, this option is only activated manually, that is, by clicking the “Select automatically” then the phone will pick the network (there is no toggle to make it do this all the time. Clicking “Select automatically simply selects the network automatically at that moment). Furthermore, if I attempt to connect to another network I get a message that I’m unable to register on the network.

All this shouldn’t matter, however. I have data roaming turned off and I did not respond to the text I received from Koodo to add US roaming. I was not roaming in the US. This charge should be reversed. Are you able to facilitate this?

Thanks! 

i have the same problem , i havent been and we are not even allowed to go to the US but i got charged for it twice this month while i golfed at a course near the border. cant even find a number to try and call to tell them that. it sucks

Hello, How do I go about escalating this issue?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello, How do I go about escalating this issue?

Thanks!

Did you speak with a Koodo rep? For your future reference, you can schedule a callback through Koodo Assist or send a message on Facebook Messenger or Twitter to dispute the charges. In the meantime, I have flagged a Koodo rep to help you out.