Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Wonder if Koodo will match a Telus plan for a new phone

Userlevel 1

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unlikely. Koodo is also owned by Telus so I don't see much reason for that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Since you'd have to pay off your tab to get a new phone with koodo I'm curious why you wouldn't just switch to Telus to get the plan and phone you want?
Userlevel 6
  1. Wireless carriers do not do price-matching on plans. If you're lucky, your provider will have a loyalty offer to counter an inter-company offer (Koodo/Telus are same company, so they won't compete with each other).
  2. Telus competes with Rogers and Bell. They're better price-wise across multiple lines, higher-end handset promotions (trade-in offers, small business accounts) and bigger data plans.
  3. Koodo is used strategically to compete with Fido and Virgin. Only Koodo offers activation credits to my knowledge. In fact, you'll probably pay less by taking a phone on a tab with Koodo, then 90 days later, switch over to Telus on the plan you want while bringing the phone you got from Koodo...you wouldn't even have to sim-unlock the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
titaniumtux wrote:

[list=1]

• Wireless carriers do not do price-matching on plans. If you're lucky, your provider w...

• Virgin price matches a lot more than most people would think and has a few hidden offers that aren't available by looking at their website. You just have to call them. As well both Virgin and Fido offer activation credit on certain phones.
    Userlevel 1
    titaniumtux wrote:

[list=1]

• Wireless carriers do not do price-matching on plans. If you're lucky, your provider w...

• Thanks for all the replies.  Yes I know that Koodo is part of Telus and they don't compete with each other but I thought there might be a small chance since in the long run there's no dollar difference to them.

Goran, you're probably right but I'll ask them anyway.

Paul Deschamps - I don't have a tab with Koodo. I'm on prepaid and would be switching to Postpaid.  I will switch to Telus if I have to.

Titaniumtux -  I don't particularly want to move back to Telus but I will if I have to.

Allan - unfortunately, I'm in the Maritimes. Cape Breton Island. No Fido. Wouldn't go to Virgin anyway since I have no love for Bell. 
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +4
    titaniumtux wrote:

[list=1]

• Actually there are quite a few Fido stores in Sydney, one in Port Hawkesbury. May or may not be close depending where on the island you live. You can check out all the available stores here if you are interested: http://www.fido.ca/consumer/storelocator
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +4
    Parallel discussion here
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +4
    I'm curious as to why what plan you have in mind since Telus plans are typically more expensive than Koodo's.
    Userlevel 1
    Ivan, the plan's monthly payments are slightly more expensive than Koodo but the initial amount with Koodo is $560 and with Telus $320.  Strange. I too would have thought that Koodo would be cheaper.
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +4
    rgsherr wrote:

Ivan, the plan's monthly payments are slightly more expensive than Koodo but the initial amount w...

Telus: $320 with a minimum plan of $85/month (300min 500MB data) Koodo: $560 with a minimum plan of $59/month (unlimited min, 1GB data)
    Userlevel 6
    rgsherr wrote:

Ivan, the plan's monthly payments are slightly more expensive than Koodo but the initial amount w...

Like I said, Telus will offer bigger promos on more expensive phones.
    Koodo will offer a maximum tab of $504 at $21x24 installments on tab large. Sometimes $800+ devices get sizeable activation credits. If you're willing to wait until back to school or Black Friday, you might get the Galaxy S8/S8 Edge at a smashing deal on Koodo where you wouldn't have to pay too much up front. Otherwise, Telus will offer you for less upfront, but subsidize a more expensive phone on a more expensive monthly plan.
    If the Galaxy S8 is the phone you want...your options:
    • Pay more upfront with Koodo, maintain a lower monthly bill
    • Pay less upfront with Telus, maintain a higher monthly bill (over 24 months, probably works out to be a bit more than Koodo)
    • Buy the phone out-right on Amazon or from one of many carrier stores including Koodo, and maintain a very low monthly bill
    I'd still recommend waiting if you can. If you wait it out a bit to get the phone, you'll get a better promotion, more accessories will be available for cheap, more user feedback on the device will be available on forums including this one, and potentially important software updates will be available.
    Userlevel 6
    rgsherr wrote:

@Allan's options:
    1. Telus pay $2360+tax over 24 months upfront plus monthly
    2. Koodo pay $1976+tax over 24 months upfront plus monthly
    Koodo's option is still cheaper and includes more data.
    Userlevel 1
    rgsherr wrote:

You're right. Total price is definitely higher with Telus even with Koodo being a bit higher than $59/month - there's a $5 surcharge on Tab Large, I believe - and there's more data and talk with Koodo.  I'd just like to spread out my costs more. But I think I'll probably take your advice and wait a bit.