Koodo Community

Community

Solved

will Lg g3 work in extended coverage area? Previously only CDMA worked. Permenent home in extended area

Three questions:
1: primary residence in north manitoba where CDMA was the only option in the past. Will new extended coverage means new phone can be used?
2: Lg g3 will work? my primary residence is in extended zone.

10 replies

Badge +4
Without knowing your location, (e.g. closest town or exact location), that's a tough question to answer. Churchill, MB is an example of a northerly town where when you change from CDMA to HSPA/LTE coverage, according to Koodo's coverage map, doesn't show EXT or HSPA coverage. http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/coverage-maps Below is a disclaimer that mentions the conditions and limitations of the EXT service. "Manitoba extended coverage available to customers with HSPA/LTE phones. To be eligible for this coverage, customer’s primary residence and billing address must be within Koodo’s own HSPA+/LTE network coverage areas when they buy or use Koodo services. Not available with prepaid service". "Data transmission speeds are lower, resulting in longer load times for video streaming applications and file downloads, and some applications are unavailable in extended coverage areas. Use of voice, text, and data services respectively in any month is limited to half of total usage for such services in such month". The LG G3 and EXT service should work, provided that you live in an area that has HSPA/LTE coverage.
rikkster wrote:

Without knowing your location, (e.g. closest town or exact location), that's a tough question to ...

i live in lac du bonnet
rikkster wrote:

Without knowing your location, (e.g. closest town or exact location), that's a tough question to ...

i live in lac du bonnet
rikkster wrote:

i live in lac du bonnet
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Given what's written in the disclaimer and since your primary residence is in the EXT coverage area and not in the HSPA/LTE coverage area, I could be wrong, but I don't think the LG G3 will work in that location.
Userlevel 3
rikkster wrote:

Hello KM, 

Rikkster is right. If you live outside of our own HSPA coverage (even if it's in the Extended coverage area) you will not be able to use our service there. 

Many thanks!
rikkster wrote:

I just came from city. I bought the phone outright. My plan has not changed. The person at koodo store assured me nothing will change. I will not have data or low data which i do not care about. I am not buying new plan or something it is existing plan. Phone worked when i came home. Seeing above answers why different information? Phone is working here. She said no changes in terms. no changes in service of my 25$ plan which is old plan. plus i got text from koodo it self to get new phone plus 100$ offer. I do not think anything should change. Are all the CDMA customer are going to lose service?
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

"Use of [b]voice, [b]text, and [b]data services respectively in any month [b]is limited to half of total usage for such services in such month". The information I quoted is direct from Koodo's coverage web page. The rep may not be aware of the fine print when using EXT or the gradual phasing out of CDMA services.

To answer your question, yes CDMA service is scheduled to be phased out. From the reports I've been reading, it's difficult to pinpoint an exact date. Some reports suggest July 1, 2015 as the cutoff date for CDMA, while other reports suggest early 2016.

Your phone is likely set to automatically roam in order for it to work in the extended coverage area. Instead of seeing Koodo or TELUS, you may see a roaming icon in the notification area of your phone. According to TELUS, (Koodo is a subsidiary of TELUS), "Use of extended coverage each month is limited to half of your total monthly usage (voice, text and data respectively). If this amount is exceeded, your access to the extended coverage may be turned off". http://www.telus.com/en/mb/get-help/c...
rikkster wrote:

so i should buy higher plan in case i exceed my half limit? currently i have unlimited messages, and 100 minute + unlimited evening and weekend. Shouldn't this kind of thing communicated properly? What are my option. I do not think i will be only one having this issue.
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

I suppose you could go that route and purchase a plan with additional minutes, though I don't think that's the most practical solution. I doubt you'll want to call up your friends or relatives and have to cut them off mid-conversation because you may run out of minutes. I noticed MTS and Rogers cell towers close to your area, so that may be an option worth looking into. Other than that, your options are limited given your location. As for communicating the phasing out of CDMA networks properly, TELUS/Koodo has sent out messages to those affected by the change and have offered discounts for new phones. I haven't seen any indication of TELUS expanding their HSPA+ network into Lac du Bonnet according to their coverage map. So again, changing carriers might be the only option. TELUS network coverage map (MB) http://www.telus.com/en/mb/mobility/network/coverage-map.jsp Cell Tower Locator http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html