Koodo Community

Will Koodo enable VOLTE support on the Samsung Galaxy S7?

• 18 October 2018
  • 27 replies

Will Koodo enable VOLTE support on the Samsung Galaxy S7? The phone is capable and Telus already supports it.

Thanks,

MB

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No. I'm actually annoyed as I could have sworn at one point the s8 / note 8 was on the list. Koodo's current list of supported phones are:
1] Supported devices: LG G7 ThinQ, LG Q Stylo+, LG X Power3, LG G6, LG V30, LG Q6, LG G5, iPhone X, iPhone 8 / 8+, iPhone 7/7+, iPhone 6S/6S+, iPhone 6/6+, iPhone SE, Samsung Note 9, Samsung A8, Samsung GS9/GS9+, or newer

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/voLTE
I too am wondering why Telus/Koodo isn't activating VoLTE on the S7?! VoLTE for this device has been supported on the Rogers network for over 2 years already. Can a rep/mod speak to the reasoning for not enabling these devices?
Badge +4
The Galaxy S7 has had VoLTE baked into its firmware since its inception, nearly two years ago. If a device like the LG G5 is supported, I'm not sure why the S7 is not appearing in the list. Both devices were available at roughly the same time, (Feb. 2016), give or take a few months with release.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7821&idPhone2=7815

Side note: (Some of you may already be aware). Galaxy S7 & Android 8, (Oreo), Samsung moved the location of VoLTE to: Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks - VoLTE calls.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The S7 wasn't on the list of VoWifi and VoLTE at Telus https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/wifi-calling-explained

Right now, the S7 wasn't even on sale at Koodo &Telus, the chance of it getting Vowifi, VoLTE support is slim. If those features are essential and you cannot afford another device, Koodo might not be the right choice.

Anyway, when you joined Koodo, the S7 wasn't on the Vowifi/volte list, and they didn't promise the S7 would be on it either.
Badge +4
The S7 wasn't on the list of VoWifi and VoLTE at Telus https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/wifi-calling-explained

Right now, the S7 wasn't even on sale at Koodo &Telus, the chance of it getting Vowifi, VoLTE support is slim. If those features are essential and you cannot afford another device, Koodo might not be the right choice.

Anyway, when you joined Koodo, the S7 wasn't on the Vowifi/volte list, and they didn't promise the S7 would be on it either.

The link you're referring to is for Wi-Fi calling, not VoLTE.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The link you're referring to is for Wi-Fi calling, not VoLTE.

@rikkster
They didn't list the devices in the voLTE https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/how-to-use-volte
Koodo did include volTE and voWifi devices in one page, so I thought that was the link.

Here is a q&A in telus forum about it, and it routed to the page without any device https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Services/Volte-availability/m-p/72749

Hopefully you can get another better link. Otherwise, from current practice of Koodo, those are the devices supporting VoLTE & VoWIFI
Badge +4
No need to hunt around for links, Goran pointed us to a page specific to Koodo and VoLTE only. Yes, the S7 is absent from the list. What struck me as amusing is that the LG G5 has not been on Koodo store shelves for quite some time either. The comment about the S7 not being sold at Koodo right now... priceless. One device gets VoLTE support and another doesn't, both approximately the same age, and one that actually has VoLTE built-in. C'est la vie.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No need to hunt around for links, Goran pointed us to a page specific to Koodo and VoLTE only. Yes, the S7 is absent from the list. What struck me as amusing is that the LG G5 has not been on Koodo store shelves for quite some time either. The comment about the S7 not being sold at Koodo right now... priceless. One device gets VoLTE support and another doesn't, both approximately the same age, and one that actually has VoLTE built-in. C'est la vie.

I had no clue about the G5 and why it was there. It wasn't even on the list of Telus.

My reasoning about the S7 availability was because they put the word "newer" after the list of Samsung devices. I assumed they had a plan for newer devices but not the "older" one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is interesting now as my note 8 has it enabled in settings but it's not shown as a supported device. I still wouldn't hold my breath for the S7, despite the similarities rikkster pointed out. And let's not get started with vowifi and only having the lg v30 for Android devices.
Badge +4
Very interesting, considering Bell shows the Note 8 as a supported device. Not losing any sleep over the S7, but it too is included in the list... and Blackberry, wow!

https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/VoLTE
No doubt that it's not worth loosing sleep over.

For a discussion piece, I don't see any reason other than try to move customers up the device food chain by getting a VoLTE device on a tab, I don't see any practical/technical reason this is not being permitted on the Telus side, especially if it's being permitted on the partner network (in Bell) in some places in Canada.
This is interesting now as my note 8 has it enabled in settings but it's not shown as a supported device.
Is your note 8 from Koodo ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes it is.
Badge +4
Another point of interest. Bell and Rogers do not impose restrictions on BYO devices and VoLTE. Curiosity got the better of me, so I tested this theory yesterday with my Telus S7. The results from both carriers; the S7 is VoLTE compatible, will work on their network, and when can we take your money, (setup a rate plan).

A post from Telus' Neighbourhood community dated at some point in December 2017, reads: Note: "Most newer devices will be VoLTE enabled as they become available. Devices not purchased from TELUS will not be VoLTE enabled at this time". Unless I'm missing something, as of today, I could not find this statement anywhere on their site.

Koodo, on the other hand, continues to maintain this restriction, stating: "To make or receive a VoLTE call you need to: Be using a VoLTE compatible phone purchased from Koodo. Bring your own phone (BYOD) from other carriers will not be compatible with this feature".

I believe this is a misprint and applies to VoWi-Fi, not VoLTE. The two carriers I researched simply told me that a compatible VoLTE device is all that's needed.
Another point of interest. Bell and Rogers do not impose restrictions on BYO devices and VoLTE. Curiosity got the better of me, so I tested this theory yesterday with my Telus S7. The results from both carriers; the S7 is VoLTE compatible, will work on their network, and when can we take your money, (setup a rate plan).

A post from Telus' Neighbourhood community dated at some point in December 2017, reads: Note: "Most newer devices will be VoLTE enabled as they become available. Devices not purchased from TELUS will not be VoLTE enabled at this time". Unless I'm missing something, as of today, I could not find this statement anywhere on their site.

Koodo, on the other hand, continues to maintain this restriction, stating: "To make or receive a VoLTE call you need to: Be using a VoLTE compatible phone purchased from Koodo. Bring your own phone (BYOD) from other carriers will not be compatible with this feature".

I believe this is a misprint and applies to VoWi-Fi, not VoLTE. The two carriers I researched simply told me that a compatible VoLTE device is all that's needed.

To my understanding only Koodo and Telus are the providers that do not restrict BYOD with regards to Volte.
I know for sure Bell and Rogers do not allow Volte on non provider devices

There are many users in this forum who have non Koodo devices and have Volte.

Having said these, I have a BYOD Note 8 and has been trying to get VOlte to work for the past few weeks with nothing positive. The same sim card works well on iphone for volte.

I think its something Koodo has to work on to fix these inconsistencies
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To my understanding only Koodo and Telus are the providers that do not restrict BYOD with regards to Volte.

Having said these, I have a BYOD Note 8 and has been trying to get VOlte to work for the past few weeks with nothing positive. The same sim card works well on iphone for volte.

Well, as far as I know, they don't require Koodo/Telus IMEI with Vowifi/VoLTE but they require the devices running on their firmware. Also the note 8 wasn't on their list of support as of now (Goran had a Koodo note 8 and it didn't work). I would suggest you wait or get an iPhone or compatible Android devices if VoWifi/VoLTE are "must-have" features.

Well, as far as I know, they don't require Koodo/Telus IMEI with Vowifi/VoLTE but they require the devices running on their firmware. Also the note 8 wasn't on their list of support as of now (Goran had a Koodo note 8 and it didn't work). I would suggest you wait or get an iPhone or compatible Android devices if VoWifi/VoLTE are "must-have" features.

Koodo firmware is not much different from any of the other Canadian devices. There are only few files different. Just need to change CSC and it will work.
However Canadian firmware is quite different from international devices.
Badge +4
“To my understanding only Koodo and Telus are the providers that do not restrict BYOD with regards to Volte”.

As I mentioned earlier, I could not find anything relating to a BYOD restriction/VoLTE with Telus. With Koodo, the restriction is there in plain sight. Here’s the link. https://www.koodomobile.com/help/voLTE (see heading: How do I use VoLTE? - second bullet point).

"I know for sure Bell and Rogers do not allow Volte on non provider devices".

If referring to your international version S9+, this is probably true.

"There are many users in this forum who have non Koodo devices and have Volte".

Good to know, but with all due respect, that's not what we’re discussing here.

"Having said these, I have a BYOD Note 8 and has been trying to get VOlte to work for the past few weeks with nothing positive. The same sim card works well on iphone for volte".

SM-G965F, Exynos 9810 SoC vs SM-G965W Snapdragon 845 SoC. A CSC change would render your S9+ to nothing more than a glorified paperweight. I think you'll have to forget about VoLTE for now. If everything else works, you still have an awesome phone.

"I think its something Koodo has to work on to fix these inconsistencies".

Since Koodo did not sell the G965F, you’re pretty much on your own for support. Add to the fact that very few people here have this device, seeking assistance from others will definitely be a challenge. If referring to Goran's Note 8, then yes, I agree on fixing this inconsistency.

As I mentioned earlier, I could not find anything relating to a BYOD restriction/VoLTE with Telus. With Koodo, it’s there in plain sight. Here’s the link. https://www.koodomobile.com/help/voLTE (see heading: How do I use VoLTE? - second bullet point).

I agree what is written in help section. But What I am saying is that atleast the tech support I have to talked to and from users it is clear that pretty much most of the W devices ( Like N950W, N960W, G965W, etc ) running Canadian firmware ( XAC group ) are getting Volte and Vowifi working. I have not seen non canadian devices ( ie F or U grp of devices have trouble getting it to work.

Good to know, but with all due respect, that's not what we’re discussing here.

I agree. I am stopping after this message 🙂

SM-G965F, Exynos 9810 SoC vs SM-G965W Snapdragon 845 SoC. A CSC change would render your S9+ to nothing more than a glorified paperweight. I think you'll have to forget about VoLTE for now. If everything else works, you still have an awesome phone.

CSC files are not always device specific and if you know how to change them using the appropriate files then you wont have a problem.. But again this is not a developer community and hence I am stopping here.
Sorry for dragging off topic.
Badge +4
CSC files are not always device specific and if you know how to change them using the appropriate files then you wont have a problem.. But again this is not a developer community and hence I am stopping here.Sorry for dragging off topic.

No apology necessary 🙂. This community has an area called a Playground where we and other community members can talk tech, share ideas and discuss anything related to the telecommunications industry. Looks empty there now, be the first to start a conversation!

https://community.koodomobile.com/playground-232902
**EDIT** I was wondering why I didn't have any Koodo apps, turns out I'm on XAC firmware (G935W8VLS5CRJ2/G935W8OYA5CRJ2/G935W8VLS5CRJ2). Even though I specifically selected KDO and it's the current selection in phone app. Can't believe I overlooked this. Maybe I'll get Koodo firmware if I re-insert the SIM, but at this point it's honestly not worth it. Just sharing my experience, see what was originally written below.

I changed the CSC of my S7 Edge which was bought straight from the Samsung store from Virgin Mobile to Koodo. Virgin happened to be the first carrier SIM I put in my S7 Edge over 2.5 years ago, then I switched to Wind Mobile, Public Mobile, and finally Koodo over the years. What I tried was this code you enter in the phone app, which will reset your device: *#243203855#

My phone was also slowing down, draining too much battery, etc. So with most things backed up via cloud and Helium backup, I decided to take the plunge. And I must say, other than having improved performance and battery life, it appears I have VoLTE! Although I can't find the setting anywhere, when I make a phone call now, the cellular network icon changes from LTE to 4G instead of 3G (disconnected from WiFi to see).

I can't be completely sure though, because I don't have the setting. I did try testing a download; it didn't stop when I made the call, but paused for a bit during the switch. I don't recall what the behaviour was when it switched to 3G, mainly because I don't download often on my phone. The speed was around the same during call, though not outside the realm of 3G due to relatively bad reception.

Maybe I'll test at an area with good reception next time, but in the end: VoLTE is simply a plus and I don't think it's worth being the sole reason for resetting your phone.
Badge +4
'it appears I have VoLTE! Although I can't find the setting anywhere"

Samsung moved it from the Phone Settings menu, to this area.

Settings > Connections > Mobile networks - VoLTE calls

It's not there, probably because I don't actually have KDO firmware. But I'm 100% certain the icon is 4G, though I kind of stopped caring after finding out. May do a proper 4G LTE speed test on call if requested, but otherwise I'll just move on and forget about it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's not there, probably because I don't actually have KDO firmware. But I'm 100% certain the icon is 4G, though I kind of stopped caring after finding out. May do a proper 4G LTE speed test on call if requested, but otherwise I'll just move on and forget about it.

4G display wasn't a LTE connection but a HSPA+ (3G) https://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/What_is_HSPA_or_HSPA_plus

4G display wasn't a LTE connection but a HSPA+ (3G) https://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/What_is_HSPA_or_HSPA_plus

That would usually show an H+ icon instead. AFAIK, 4G equals LTE on foreign phones.

Guess I'll try the speed test after all, maybe today around lunch.