Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will I need to unlock a Telus phone if I use it with Koodo?

Userlevel 3
I want to get the HTC one however since for some stupid reason Koodo isn't carrying this phone . My question is will any android phone purchased at Telus work on Koodo's network without unlocking the phone (excluding nexus devices) . I went in person to the Rideau mall Kiosk in Ottawa and i was told that an android phone must be unlocked in order for it to work on koodo. I'm a little confused because the forum is saying the complete opposite and that i dont need to unlock my phone.

Im referring only to android so please no responses regarding the Iphone , Windows or Blackberry OS.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Generally speaking, android devices from Telus always need to be unlocked before they can be used with Koodo. There are occasional exceptions but the bottom line is, if you put in a koodo sim card and it asks for an unlock code, you'll need to unlock it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Generally speaking, android devices from Telus always need to be unlocked before they can be used...

But in theory it should work without unlocking, shouldn't it? I thought that all a SIM restriction does is check the MCC-MNC values of the SIM card. Both Telus and Koodo are 302-220. As Koodo was never a standalone company, it was never assigned a different MNC #. In any case, if you really want to buy the phone from Telus, go ahead and try it with your Koodo SIM. If it doesn't work, you can purchase an unlock code from www.cellunlocker.net. It's where I unlocked my HTC One and the code was delivered within an hour or so. I paid ~$20 if I remember correctly.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Generally speaking, android devices from Telus always need to be unlocked before they can be used...

Telus and koodo are the same company... just like fido and rogers and bell and virgin. One of the top 3 owns the cheaper counter part. For the most part all phones that work on one should work on their counterparts unless they don't have sims and that's where it gets weird
Userlevel 7
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Hi Adrian, it's cool that you're adding your input. But this thread is 9 months old. 🙂 You can always help out on newer threads
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Not just that, but the information is wrong. A lot of phones aren't interchangeable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The only phones that will for sure work without unlocking are iPhone 4 & 5.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Yay iphones 😛
Userlevel 6

lol! teasin' much now Dennis, eh? 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You never know. Paul's next phone may be the iPhone 5S
Userlevel 6

Pics or it didn't happen 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Lol, They'd have to change alot more than what they are in the 5s to make me ever even what an iPhone & then there's the fact of how Apple does business which is the biggest issue that will make me never buy their products. The only devices I'd ever consider buying that aren't Android are Blackberry 10 devices, I'm really excited to see what the BlackBerry Z30 is like when finally released.
Userlevel 6

Gotta agree with ya Paul! I think iPhones are awesome pieces of hardware (and hardware only). It's the company behind them and their philosophy that I have problems with...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does it help that I own shares

nope u dont need....i'm running a telus htc one with unlocking..and its running perfectly
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is a 9 months old thread, PriOm, it's great that you want to be helpful but please check the date before you reply 🙂
Userlevel 6
I thought the HTC One is factory unlocked. Amazon.ca sell then that way anyway. http://www.amazon.ca/HTC-One-Factory-Unlocked-International/dp/B00BR16MJE
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

I thought the HTC One is factory unlocked. Amazon.ca sell then that way anyway. http://www.ama...

Just like every Android flagship you can buy a factory unlocked model (I use to have the factory unlocked Galaxy Note 2 I bought from expansys) Also known as the international model from online retailers or direct from the device maker, but any device purchased from a provider is locked to said provider. The exception is Nexus devices that come factory unlocked even when purchasing from a provider such as Bell, Telus, Rogers, AT&T, T-Mobile, ect all others are always locked from them.
Yup you should unlock your handset to change carrier... anyhow you can do that by purchasing unlock codes from any vendors online like http://www.unlock-zone.com
The best way to do it is to buy the HTC One then put a Koodo SIM card and see. If it asks you for an unlock code, then you need to unlock lock it.
Userlevel 3
Thanks, guys for the information i got an S4 from Koodo.
Userlevel 1
For the record, a previous thread (http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/does_the_telus_htc_one_work_with_koodo_without_getting_it_unlocked) seems to confirm that the HTC One from TELUS will work with Koodo without the need to unlock it.
Userlevel 7
Besides what's been mentioned, it seems that Blackberries don't have problems flipping between Telus/Koodo. Other Telus phones I've personally seen work with Koodo without an unlock: 9320, 9790, and the Z10 (I'm assuming Q10 will too).
I tried moving my Samsung Galaxy S2 X SGH-T989 from Telus to Koodo today. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to recognize the Koodo SIM card because it's asking me for the "SIM network unlock PIN". Rats.
Ped wrote:

I tried moving my Samsung Galaxy S2 X SGH-T989 from Telus to Koodo today. Unfortunately, it doesn...

Hahah sucks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ped wrote:

I tried moving my Samsung Galaxy S2 X SGH-T989 from Telus to Koodo today. Unfortunately, it doesn...

Ped, yes it's true 😞 The Samsung Galaxy S2 will need to be unlocked... but other than it setting you back between $20 and $30, it should be easy to do so from a 3rd party unlock service. Let us know if you need recommendations, and stay away from scam services! Darko, please try to be helpful in your replies, thanks 🙂