Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will I have to get a new plan if I get the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge?

I was asking a guy at Best Buy about preordering the Galaxy S7 Edge.  I told him I was on a $44 plan with Koodo, on my current S5.  He said the S7 Edge is a high-end phone that can't be on so inexpensive a plan.  He said it would have to be $80, and it didn't sound like he was talking about the Tab.  So is that true?  Or can I keep my current plan if I preorder a Galaxy S7 Edge here?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There's no minimum plan requirement in order to pre order the S7. Maybe there's others carrier that does this but not Koodo
Robert wrote:

There's no minimum plan requirement in order to pre order the S7. Maybe there's others carrier th...

I got the same response from Best Buy Guy in Calgary when I tried to preorder.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

There's no minimum plan requirement in order to pre order the S7. Maybe there's others carrier th...

You can keep your plan if you use Tab.
If you want to use Tab plus, then yes, you have to pick one of Tab plus plan.
Userlevel 3
You should be okay keeping your $44 dollar a month plan as long as you use the $15 a month tab option and not the $21 a month tab plus and pay a little more up front. It may be better if you go to a koodo shop as they're generally better with this than a third party store (like bestbuy). I'm not sure if it'll work with an online upgrade, if there is an option to use your existing plan as I haven't tried it. 
Userlevel 7
Andrew wrote:

You should be okay keeping your $44 dollar a month plan as long as you use the $15 a month tab op...

In order to get the phone on Tab Plus, he technically wasn't wrong. He just didn't give OP all of their options. Keep in mind Best Buy also has all the major carriers for less bias, doesn't work off commission, and usually has better girt card incentives (unless it's an upgrade) so you're usually better off going there instead.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andrew wrote:

You should be okay keeping your $44 dollar a month plan as long as you use the $15 a month tab op...

On the other hand, it also means that employees have to be familiar with the details of every plan from every carrier, which increases the chance of mistakes due to confusion. Do your research ahead of time if you go to best buy, rather than assuming the employee has all the details right.
Userlevel 7
Andrew wrote:

That's fair too. But not everyone can be as awesome as I was, I suppose 😛