Koodo Community

Community

Solved

wifi disconnect

Userlevel 2
Until recently, my Samsung note 2 was keeping a solid connection to the Internet. Now, however, I have been experiencing random sudden and often frequent disconnects. There are even times when I have received the message that the password is incorrect. Mostly though it is a simple matter of reconnecting. It had been such a pleasure to enjoy solid connectivity, unlike previous experience on our LG. So would be happy for some threads of advice on this. Thanks Koodo Community! 🙂

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Actually I have a new theory for consideration. I have been having this experience from a position with a variable wifi signal and wondering whether that figures.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From a few weeks ago: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/dropping-home-wifi
Userlevel 2
I generally do not have the data option on. Strange thing is that in the same location, a problem emerged. Previously, the bars indicating strength of the connection went up or down but then, the wifi connection started dropping out altogether. Hope this issue goes away...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What brand of router? Once you have done all you can on the router side, tell the Samsung to forget your current wifi network and then sign-in as a new client. Download a wifi signal strength meter from Google Play. This will help you find where the signal is the strongest, if that's an issue at all. I winter in a mobile home with paper-thin walls, and it's amazing how much a signal can degrade if any metal object (like an appliance) is in the signal path.
Userlevel 2
Haha! Similar situation here. Hanging out in the camper van. Yes tried the forget thing. Oddly my going into the house and working full strength signal for a while has been a prelude to a less troublesome connection now. Good to know about the signal strength app but does the signal on the phone with 0-4 bars not suffice?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
frananddave wrote:

Haha! Similar situation here. Hanging out in the camper van. Yes tried the forget thing. Oddly my...

Bars on the phone are just barely a decoration. Big circular interactive dial lets you find the sweet spots faster. Something as simple as changing the channel can help. Getting out of your Farraday cage and enjoying some fresh air may also help. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer
Userlevel 3
One other reason might be the default setting for "Advanced Wifi"...which is NOT to keep wifi on during sleep. May wanna check that too. In my case (Note 3) the phone is the only device in the house that disconnects and re-connects (no manual intervention required) fairly often, no matter if on 2.4GHz or 5Ghz. Given that I don't want to give up "Power save" mode, I assumed I have to live with it. 2 tablets, 3 PCs and a wifi-bridged router NEVER disconnect, so I know it's not my main router.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You have 2 very dear friends, but put all three of you in the same room and it's not the same any more... let the shouting match begin. I can only vouch that a DLink DIR-655 (refurb for about $30) set up with a fixed address for the Note 2 and other hogs like Sony BluRay streaming boxes works flawlessly in my house.