Koodo Community

Wifi Calling Keeps Turning Off - Samsung S20 FE 5G

Can someone in Koodo please fix the Wifi Calling de-registering issue for Samsung devices?

Normally, it unregisters my Koodo-purchased Samsung S20 FE 5G once a week, which I can live with, but now it’s doing it 5+ times a day.

I have called Koodo Tech Support multiple times to no avail. Only once a higher tier Tech Support person said that they are having issues with Samsung devices and Wifi calling deregistering and are trying to fix it, and that was months ago.

I don’t think it’s a Samsung issue, as I have family members with Samsung devices with other providers and they don’t have any issue with maintaining Wifi calling being enabled.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you sure it’s not wi-fi problem? The way your router is set up. 

1. In rare cases, your internet service provider (ISP) may affect your ability to connect. If you are not able to connect through the following ISPs, you can change the DNS IP address of the Wi-Fi connection on your phone to Google public DNS IP address: 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 and try again. Please contact us if you are still not able to connect after the DNS change

Not the Wifi signal of my router. Losing Wifi signal from your router should not deregister you.

And by deregister, I mean having to go through “the Turn On Wifi Calling, put in your cell phone #, get the 6-digit code via text, and go through the 911 registration” steps every single time.

I tried the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (recommended by Koodo Tech Support) and still deregisters me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Where are you residing? Are you currently in Saskatchewan or Manitoba?  and who is your ISP?  Did it work before?

If I recalled correctly, one customer had similar issue with that and change the DNS address and it worked for him. If it was the phone, have you got any opportunity to try the SIM in another phone and test wifi calling there?

AB and Shaw is my ISP.

Wifi Calling has always deregistered ever since I upgraded from a Pixel 3a (Koodo-purchased) to this Samsung S20 FE 5G (brand new).

There was never an issue when I used the Pixel 3a. No change in ISP, router, etc. since changing phones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Shaw DNS should not have issues with Telus/Koodo. As you mentioned, the wifi calling worked fine before. I guess there were issues with the phone firmware or phone settings. 

If possible, I would suggest you tried to reset the network settings of the phone and see if it can do anything. 

Another Telus customer mentioned he/she had to register the IMS with Telus to make it work here https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Services/Wi-Fi-calling-activation-Galaxy-S9/m-p/106394#M8243

I am not really sure  if IMS registration was the culprit but you could try. 

IMS is registered and I reset the network setting, and the phone deregistered in an hour.

Still doesn’t make any sense that a mobile network loses functionality with Samsung phones and hasn’t done anything for months to fix the issue.

Thanks @Dinh and @Robert T for the responses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don't think it was a prevalent issue. Otherwise we would see many Samsung phone owners complaining left and right in the forum. Having said that, Samsung phone had certain VoWiFi configurations that is different from other manufacturers and require diffrent settings. 

Anyway, I assumed you bought the phone directly from Koodo and had the correct CSC code set to KDO? And there was a volte access add-on in your koodo selfserve. 

Also, I assumed you didn't use any VPN for your internet networking and the router didn't have custom restriction on certain ports. 

I would check those parameters again. If those are set correctly, try to bug koodo tech again. I would suggest you ask them to remove the ims and koodo volte access add on then readd them again. Hopefully that would help. 

You could also test with other wifi network and see if the problem was from the router. Sometimes an update from Shaw could mess up things. 

Just a quick update:

Still getting Wifi Calling disconnections, checked the CSC and it is KDO  (also the phone came from Koodo directly).

Don’t think it’s a Shaw or internal networking issue, as none of the other phones in the house are having Wifi Calling issues.

Wi-fi calling is a nightmare with my Galaxy s9+ and Koodo. It idiotically tells me to go into cell range to turn it on (WTF?), then when I do that it tells me to be on my home wifi (WTF?), then when I manage to somehow get it turned on it just deregisters constantly and makes me go through the whole idiotic  dance again, repeatedly, and to no avail. I’m a first responder and people’s lives are in danger from this shitshow. Koodo tech refuses to help because it’s my phone and I didn’t buy it from them. Totally outrageous.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just a quick update:

Still getting Wifi Calling disconnections, checked the CSC and it is KDO  (also the phone came from Koodo directly).

Don’t think it’s a Shaw or internal networking issue, as none of the other phones in the house are having Wifi Calling issues.

This link has worked a few other times for people having activation issues with wifi calling. The past few times it was more so not being able to get registered period, not it deregistering but it's worth a try I suppose?

https://ent.telus.com/acmegw-android/entitlement/e911