Koodo Community
Question

Why would my phone be roaming ?

Why would my phone decide, for no apparent reason, to start roaming ?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Darren, are you close to the border? That might be why your phone started to roam. On most phones, you can also disable data roaming in settings if that's something you find useful. Hope that helps 🙂
I am very close to downtown. Actually, I am pretty sure I can see the tower. If I disable data roaming and select Koodo only, I get zero, zip, zilch, nada. Well, thats not entirely true. I get an adorable little triangle that tells me I have no service. Then this little thing pops up and says "Emergency calls only" I believe.

Now I have been told that it might very well be my sim card, so I had it replaced. So, I am told it might be my sim card , so should I have it replaced again ?  

No ?! Then, quite possibly its the phone. These things happen. I mean, it was happening on my old phone all the time, but I got a new phone last wednesday, January 11th 2017. Maybe I need a new phone as well. 

I will pepper these very silly things out there, just so I can hopefully save someone else the time of saying them and looking stupid. 

My battery might be too low to make the connection to the tower. Presently I am at 93%. Let me plug it in and see if that helps. 

While waiting on hold with Koodo for 25 minutes, I kept hearing over and over that my answer was probably on the forum. Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone. That way if a roaming charge appears on my next statement, while I was on the phone trying to get a hold of someone from Koodo, all the while searching and eventually posting on the Koodo forum ... all my bases are covered. 

Anything else you think I should try Daniel ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I am very close to downtown. Actually, I am pretty sure I can see the tower. If I disable data ro...You could try to tone down the sass. And the douchiness of "saving someone" the trouble of looking stupid. That'd be a nice start. I'm sure that you're frustrated but it's not a good start to getting help. It's however entirely possible that you got another bad Sim card or phone. It's unlikely but it does happen. I've known people have a bugged out phone and the 4th replacement they finally got a working phone. Are you actually sure or just "pretty sure" that you have a direct line of sight with a Telus tower?

Is this issue only in your home or anywhere you go? Do other people with Telus / Koodo that you know have the same issues where you are? Are you able to get another device or have someone over swap Sim cards into each others phones? You can go to a Telus, or Koodo store or bestbuy or Walmart and likely get a demo Sim put into your phone and your Sim a into a demo phone to see if the problem follows if you don't know anyone with Telus or Koodo.

I'll assume that you've done other basic troubleshooting such as restarting your phone or pulling out your Sim card and putting it back in and such.
I am very close to downtown. Actually, I am pretty sure I can see the tower. If I disable data ro...I can physically see the tower on 8th street.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=49.848150&lng=-99.957694&zoom=13&a...

I am very close to downtown. Actually, I am pretty sure I can see the tower. If I disable data ro...That being said, I am toned down. A nice start ?  How about a company that doesnt count on the helpfulness of people who "guess" rather than actual paid employees ?

As far as I know, the issue is now everywhere I go. While I am driving down the street, I tend to not pick up my phone and check to see if I am finally off EXT and on an actual Koodo tower. The police tend to frown on that around here. 

If I put my sim into my much older phone, that Koodo talked me out of using, in favour of a new phone, it works perfectly. 

That being said, with all douchiness added, my replacement phone cost me $90. The replacement sims were  $10 each I believe. So if you are correct, and I may not get a working phone until my 4th replacement, at $90 a piece, this is a money pit. 

The nice lady at Telus/Koodo keeps telling me to switch to Telus. I liked Koodo. I liked my old phone. I never had issues and therefore didnt have to worry about sub par customer service. 

Frustrated ?  Not really. I had to post here. If no one helps I get to point out that I at least tried what they suggested. I asked a question that NO ONE on the forum could help with. Kinda defeats the purpose of a digital cup and notation of mobile master beside someones name. You have to take a chance. Heck, for all I know some guy could pop up and say "oh man, I had this before. This is what you do". You dont know if you never try. 

Remove the sim card while installing the battery, while holding home , power, volume up and repeatedly pressing 2 ... on an android phone. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I am very close to downtown. Actually, I am pretty sure I can see the tower. If I disable data ro...Great, go insult Koodo and not us then. Plus basic troubleshooting is pretty universal.

Great, so walk a little or stop occasionally and see. Or at your destination. Also, which is it: emergency calls only, or EXT?

Are you using an extended warranty to be charged 90 dollars each time rather than an exchange within 15 days? That's also assuming it is your phone each time.

Yeah mother Telus would prefer if people paid more for the same service.

Frustration via you insulting us as opposed to via you coming here is the basis of me mentioning that. Guess your default is to be insulting?

See Bob's responses.

I am very close to downtown. Actually, I am pretty sure I can see the tower. If I disable data ro...Yes I am paying for an extended warranty. In my line of work, construction, I was always worried about breaking my phone. I was told specifically by the nice lady that sold it to me, that the warranty would cover everything except a lost phone. 

No matter where I drive to, the service is always EXT after the phone was set to auto. Prior to that it was sporadic as to whether it would catch the Koodo tower or show emergency only.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Stoopid question no doubt... same problem with [b]2 phones. Where did you get them? Stop spending money on that account.

EXT should work OK at no charge to you.

Are you actually being [i][b]charged for roaming or is this a precautonary tale?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Stoopid question no doubt... same problem with [b]2 phones. Where did you get them? St...On further study, there are 3 towers in your neighourhood. The MTS and "other" cover all the frequencies, while Telus/Koodo only covers the data range.

Explains why you see EXT for your basic service... at no extra charge to you.

Thank the CRTC for forcing the providers to implement this but basically not communicating anything to the general public.
Stoopid question no doubt... same problem with [b]2 phones. Where did you get them? St...Bob, I hadnt noticed in the past if I was charged. This is the longest I have gone where it adamantly refuses to grab the Koodo provider. Koodo told me to set the phone to Koodo only. Thats how they fixed it in the past. I had to reboot every morning. I missed calls and unless they left a voicemail, I didnt know. 

Now, it constantly said no network or emergency calls only. I set it to auto and it grabs EXT. They lady at the Telus said I shouldnt be charged but WTF. 
Stoopid question no doubt... same problem with [b]2 phones. Where did you get them? St...To answer your other question, the new sim cards I got directly from the only Telus/Koodo store in town. The phone came from some insurance company that Koodo deals with. I cannot recall the name but it will be on my CC bill as they charged me $90 for it. 

"Telus/Koodo only covers the data range". I am not sure what that means. Kind of bewildered as to why all of a sudden the koodo tower is non existent.