Koodo Community
Question

Why wifi calling doesn't work for non-koodo phones

• 1 September 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I've read lots of posts about wifi calling on unlocked/byod devices and it seems set in stone that only a few blessed models will support wifi calling AND that those phones must have been sold by Koodo.

Why?

This is my first post, so IDK if Koodo reps actually lurk on the forum, but I'd like to know the reason for this policy.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Their official policy is here https://www.koodomobile.com/help/wifi-calling

Actually, all Canadian carriers requires certain phones to be bought from them (or run their firmware) to have WiFi calling enabled. It wasn't an unique thing to Koodo.

The reason could be some of technical problems. WiFi calling redirect call/text/MMS through internet to a server. The server might require extra settings to make sure it is working smoothly and protects the privacy of the callers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Even the US carriers require phones that were supplied by them. I had an unlocked T-Mobile LG G3 that did wifi calling on their network years before Koodo made it available. Same phone with US firmware can't do it on Canadian networks.
Hello @BobTheElectrician and @Dinh. Thank you for responding, but I think you're both just speculating.

I'm looking at the US carriers and (albeit, I'm googling so maybe @BobTheElectrician is right) it seems as though the _do_ indeed allow unlocked phones (not sold by them) if they're compatible.

Also, Koodo's official policy doesn't actually say anything about the phone having to be purchased from them...

So, if the real answer to my question is "nobody knows why" that's OK -- I'll follow up with Koodo and see what I can find out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@EzGz I am not spectaculating. If you don't believe other you can spend your own time to do research then.
Userlevel 3
I have a Samsung S10 purchased directly from Samsung and Wifi calling works just fine on it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have a Samsung S10 purchased directly from Samsung and Wifi calling works just fine on it.
If you put the Koodo CSC code or use Koodo SIM to setup your phone the 1st time, then it is fine as Koodo firmware was loaded. That has been discussed at length in the forum.