Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why my phone will work on telus but not koodo?

I have a ulefone Power. I also have a ulefone Be Touch 3. One works with Koodo, one doesn't. Is there any chance that koodo will be updating or changing the bands so that the Power is included in koodo's networks? The Power works on all telus networks so I am not sure why it wouldn't work on Koodo's since they use Telus towers? 

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The issue is not that Koodo has changed or not updated bands. It's all the exact same as the parent company Telus for frequency bands. According to Ulefone.com, the Power only has 900/2100 for 3G, so it shouldn't be working for Telus either, and the only frequency band in LTE is 2600 so I believe it should only work for data in markets with Telus/Koodo for LTE-A. Are you sure that the Power is the one that works on both 3G and LTE with Telus?
No, that's the issue. The Power doesn't work, its the Get Touch 3 that the koodo sim works in. I use the Power, so I am hoping that koodo can help me somehow get service to the phone I am using...
http://willmyphonework.net/

shows that the power works with telus, but not koodo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You said that the power works with Telus but it's not supported according to ulefone.com so I'm asking if you're certain that it's the power that worked on Telus? There is no way to get it to work. You unfortunately got an incompatible phone. I suggest for future reference double checking frequency band compatibility. Willmyphonework.net is an excellent resource.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As I said it would only maybe work with data where lte-A is available. I don't know why it doesn't say the same for Koodo but neither Telus nor Koodo have VOLTE (voice capabilities over lte) yet so it would not work fully regardless. You further said it works on all Telus networks but again as I said that's not supposed to work on 3G at all with Telus/Koodo so are you sur you had th power on Telus or are you saying you looked online an it "sgould" work on lte?
yeah. I have only been with koodo. I want to stay loyal so I have only done research. 

http://ulefone.com/products/betouch3/spec.html

that shows the Get Touch 3 specification also to a max of 2100, but I KNOW (cause I tried my koodo sim in it) that it works... So I am right back to being confused. :P 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
That one is a quad band 3g phone. It has 850/900/1900/2100 and Telus/Koodo uses 850 and 1900 whereas th power is 900/2100 which Telus does not use. Therefore the touch 3 will work. It's not a max thing so much as these are the specific frequencies that work thing.
Any chance this might change in the near future? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Brodi Scott wrote:

Any chance this might change in the near future? 

No. Certain bands are not available in Canada. There have been no licences issued by Industry Canada for their use for Cellular networks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nil. It's all about who owns what spectrum. It seems like an alright phone for a price but there are viable alternatives if you are looking for phones not offered in Canada normally I generally recommend the xiaomi redmi note 3 pro nowadays ever since they expanded its lte bands to be useful in North America. I've only seen the international edition on geekbuying.com but it could be elsewhere. Whatever you decide it needs 850/1900 for 3G (quad band or pentaband are the standards) and 1700 for LTE, at least until 2600 is widespread, possibly 700.