Koodo Community

Community

Question

why is my picture messaging using data?

have a plan that has unlitited province wide calling unlimited text and picture messaging but still using my data and 1gb of data. picture messaging is using up my data

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MMS may show as data being used on your phone's data tracker but Koodo doesn't count it towards your data usage on self serve.
As well, you may subsequently end up using data on background applications while turning it on to send MMS.
Userlevel 1
Ok, so even when I am connected to wifi, and turned my mobile data on, , it showed I used 1 MB to send a text attaching 2 pictures. How do I know how much is charged to my 2 GB of free data? Why is it using data when I am connected to wifi when I turned my mobile data on? Does my mobile data need to be turned on when I send a text with a pic attached?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DADuh wrote:

Ok, so even when I am connected to wifi, and turned my mobile data on, , it showed I used 1 MB to...

Yes your data has to be turned on to send MMS.
Your phone will say that you have used data for MMS but Koodo doesn't count it towards your usage, so via self serve, you shouldnt see any extra data used for it.
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

Ok, so even when I am connected to wifi, and turned my mobile data on, , it showed I used 1 MB to...

My data showed 11 MB before I sent it, and 12 MB as soon as I sent it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DADuh wrote:

Your data on self serve showed 11 and then 12?
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

I didn't go into my self serve acct. Will look in there and check. It showed 12 MB in my settings where I turned on mobile data?
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

I have 2 GB free. So it shows no cost. But it does show the .82 used to send a pic text today. So presumably counted towards my free 2 GB??? Even though I was on wifi?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DADuh wrote:

Is that around the time you sent the MMS?
The only other possible answer is that a little bit of data leaked while you were using it, or something like wifi assist was triggered.
Userlevel 5
DADuh wrote:

@Deb MMS cannot be sent via Wi-Fi, so you need to have mobile data turned on in order to send and receive MMS messages.  It does *use* data to do so, but it does *not* count against your 2GB of included data in your plan.  

Your phone doesn't know that MMS data doesn't count, so it counts it as regular data.  This is why when you looked on the phone, it looked like you used up some of your data.
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

The pic I sent above though was my slf serve acct which shows .82 MB for the text with 2 pics, while connected to home wifi, and mobile data turned on. While it shows $O that is because I have 2 GB free. It shows $0 the day before when I believe I also used data to look up something in addition to sending some texts with pics.
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

Today I only turned data on to send one text with 2 pics to one person. .82 MB shows on my self-serve account. The $0 charge presumably is because I have 2 free GB?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DADuh wrote:

Deb, the data amount could be from something else. Each picture should cost you 2-5MB
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

I only had data on, while connected to wifi, for less than 1 minute. Only to send the text with 2 pics attached
Userlevel 5
DADuh wrote:

I'm not sure what to tell you,@Deb.  I just tried the same experiment, I sent an MMS photo to my mother, and checked my usage online before and after, and they both appear identical.

I think there is some minimal amount of data "leakage" even while attached to WiFi.  For example, I'm working from home today, have not left the house so far and have a strong and consistent WiFi signal.  Yet here is my usage so far from today (as of about 2:45PM Pacific time):

You can see there is a small amount of data usage somehow.  I believe this is actually normal.  [EDIT: or at least, unavoidable]
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

So, the trick is how to track no cost unlimited picture texting in the event I go over my free 2GB. With PC Mobile, I was dinged $11 for a minuscule amount of data, not even close to 1 MB because I did not have any free data with my plan. It cost $11 for the first 500 MB. Every month I had to phone to have them take it off. From June to Dec 2017, this never happened. Yet all of a sudden it started happening every month since January 2018. Even though they took it off, the last 3-4 months when I complained and they could see it was minuscule, I had to go through the same rigmarole explaining it. So, I switched to Koodoo"s offer since PC Mobike and Koodo were amalgmating anyway. I wonder if there is a technological glitch given both are on Telus lines??? I will try phoning Koodo, but hoped to get an official Koodoo response here. I see official Koodoo responses are sometimes on here?
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/photo-video-messaging This Telus one says no charge if sent in Canada. Not sure if that is the case if travelling in USA with a pkg though. Good question to clarify ahead of time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DADuh wrote:

With Koodo's Shock-Free data, you can't go over your 2 GB unless you specifically authorize it. You can do a LOT of phone use before you consume 2GB of data, as long as you are not streaming video.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DADuh wrote:

In the USA, sending MMS will use your data, and you will be charged for it according to your rate plan. If you have Easy Roam, every picture you send while in the USA will consume part of your 2 GB of data.

Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

I would not go with easy roam though as I am in the YDA for long stretches, not just a day here and there. So, will double check how much data I get will a pkg. Thx.
Userlevel 5
DADuh wrote:

@Deb by YDA do you mean the Yukon?  Is it not part of Canada?  
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

Darn, autocorrect. USA it should say
Userlevel 5
DADuh wrote:

@Deb I think it was on another thread, but the other day I suggested you try WhatsApp group messaging rather than group texting.  Now that I know you spend time in the USA, I should point out another advantage of using WhatsApp, even for individual messaging as well as group messaging.  Since it's not tied to your SIM card/phone number, it makes using a local USA SIM or an alternate service like Roam Mobility much easier--or, even just to be able to message over WiFi.  As long as your phone is unlocked, you can just swap out your Koodo SIM for a Roam Mobility, local USA provider, or other international roaming service SIM card and continue to message with your friends and family over WhatsApp like normal.  

I should point out that this is true of all (mostly all?--I think all) data-based messaging services such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Skype, Line, WeChat, Slack, BBM, Hangouts, Allo, etc.  For me, WhatsApp is the "sweet spot".  Both it and FB Messenger are very popular, meaning many of your contact will already be using them.  But for those that aren't, FB messenger requires a Facebook account, and some prefer not to use that service at all. 
Userlevel 1
DADuh wrote:

Great, thanks! I also have used Hangouts on my tablet before, which I liked fir phone calls. My old BlackBerry wouldn't work with it, but I do have the app on my new Samsung phone now, but still need to try it. Just downloaded WhatsApp this morning