Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why is my 4G signal so weak?

On the nearest major road (10 m away) I get full bars. By the time I hit the bottom of my driveway, I'm down to 3 then I have 2 once I'm in the door of the ranch style home I live in. In the basement I get 1 bar, so trying to use my phone at all is pointless.

What can I do to improve the signal strength?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Basements are a terrible place to try to get a cell signal these days. You can purchase a signal Booster like ones sold in bestbuy.ca from a. Company called Wilson. Other signal amplifiers may also be available elsewhere. Check the Internet for more options.
Chad Burr wrote:

Basements are a terrible place to try to get a cell signal these days. You can purchase a sign...

My main concern is the 2 bars I'm getting on the main floor of the house. I'm close enough to downtown Ottawa that signal strength shouldn't be an issue.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Basements are a terrible place to try to get a cell signal these days. You can purchase a sign...

Could be any number of factors Distance from the tower Trees Older houses near you Older house. Height of your land. A signal amplifier might get you to three bars on the ground level.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I only get 2-3 bars at all times where I live and never had any issues what so ever, never had a dropped call or any type of connection issues. Are your calls actually getting terminated mid call or not connecting or are you just worrying about the amount of bars your phone is presenting you with no actual connection issues?
Badge +4
You can try switching network modes. In some cases, switching to WCDMA Only will show a slight increase in signal strength. I’m not sure which Android device you have, but the path to network modes is similar. Go to: Settings > Mobile networks – tap Network mode and select WCDMA Only, (if listed). Do not reboot your phone. You should see a slight increase in signal strength.