Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why is data usage on my Samsung Note II so high?

I just bought the Samsung Note II. It was hard to get connected to the play store to download my aps, so I fiddled with some settings, turned my phone off and on again and then got connected. I am monitoring my "Nationwide" usage (not even sure what that is), and it is already at 138MB in one day (max is 400MB). I'm trying to figure out why it is so high. Is it because I had to download all my aps again? I've turned off WiFi and data, so not to get charged any more usage. Just wondering what I can turn on so my data doesn't keep getting used so much? Can I just use the WiFi, or does Data always need to be on? On my last phone, the LG Black, I always had WiFi scanning and Data was always on, but never noticed and increase in data usage. Any help would be great, thanks ! 🙂

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Did you download your apps on wifi or over data?
I'm thinking it made have been over data. I checked the usage for today, and at around 345pm, data used was almost 100mb (i believe). I assume that is from downloading all the aps again ?
Userlevel 1
You checked on your phone or SelfServe? The phone can be set to count both wifi and data service. But 100mb to download apps over data sounds right if you had to download them all
Checked on Self Serve. Okay, that's what I thought it probably was. What is better for me to have on during the day, WiFi or Data?
Userlevel 6
Sarah Jane wrote:

Checked on Self Serve. Okay, that's what I thought it probably was. What is better for me to ha...

Your phone (if given the choice) will always try to use WiFi before 3G. WiFi needs to be turned on and connected to a wireless network that's within range though. If the phone can't find any working WiFi network, then it will use 3G (what Koodo sells you as "data") to download/update/whatever. If you want to avoid this, you simply need to turn off your data, from your phone settings. You can also turn it back on any time you want in case you want/need to use your 3G data.
Sarah Jane wrote:

Checked on Self Serve. Okay, that's what I thought it probably was. What is better for me to ha...

Thanks. I'll just turn on WiFi for now ... What difference does data do from WiFi ? Never really needed to know, but now that I'm keeping track of my usage, it would be good to know.
Userlevel 6
Sarah Jane wrote:

From a technical point of view, only the method of delivery to the end user differs. WiFi comes from a wireless network provided by a wireless router installed at home, work, neighbor, public hotspot, anywhere really. You simply need to have access to that network to be able to connect to it. Some are protected, some aren't, it's up to the admin to decide. It's also widely available almost everywhere in larger cities. 3G data sold by your mobile carrier has the same function as the data provided by WiFi, it allows you to use the Internet like you would any other way. It reaches your phone from those very tall towers you see everywhere. Those towers are equipped with powerful emitters that send wireless signals all around, and by placing them (the towers) strategically, your carrier aims to cover most of the land within certain areas. Your phone in turn uses those signals to place phone calls, send texts and use the Internet. Since you likely have way more allowance from your WiFi network than from your monthly plan with Koodo, it is recommended that you use WiFi when available. It is also how your phone acts by default: WiFi first, with fallback on 3G if no WiFi available.
Userlevel 1
Sarah Jane wrote:

Virtual Star
Userlevel 6
Sarah Jane wrote:

Well, thanx Mo! :oD