Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why don't you offer the 16gb moto G?

After using the Moto G for 2 months I'm very happy with the phone and Koodo's service, my only complaint is the serious lack of storage space on the 8gb Moto G.  Not having micro-sd storage is by far this phones biggest flaw in my opinion but for the price it was still very good value and i was willing to deal with what i thought would be about 7gb of storage for music/photo's

In reality that 7gb of usable space that i was expecting turned out to be about 3.75gb.  I have 3.4gb of music and about 125mb of apps...and it's full.  All the google functionality apps take up about .75gb and after the recent 4.4 update it seems that you need to keep 500mb of free space so you get 4gb of space at best to use.

This really is next to nothing, even for a budget phone, i happily would of paid the $20-25 price difference for that extra 8gb of space.  Why is it not offered?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have the Moto G as well, and as you said the lack of space is really noticeable, especially because there is no expansion slot. I guess Koodo wanted to offer it for the lowest price possible but I too wish they had offered the 16GB model instead... considering how great the phone is in every other way.
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

I have the Moto G as well, and as you said the lack of space is really noticeable, especially bec...

I have a 16GB US GSM model myself that I enjoy quite a bit! It's really a shame that only the 8GB was offered. As Sophia mentioned, it's an all around stellar performer given its price, but storage that low can quickly kill what would be an otherwise enjoyable experience 😞
Userlevel 1
Sophia wrote:

I have the Moto G as well, and as you said the lack of space is really noticeable, especially bec...

Dealte app what you are not using to free some space up belate apps you are not using takes space up may make your phone run faster because motor g dose not micor SD card meens ever thing backs to Google account? Be shour that you take off apps what you are not using same thing over gen wen can thay make phones with out errors just belate phone rest program it over gen os software dose not get error message
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

https://translate.google.com/ To the rescue....
Userlevel 7
This might not be the most convenient option, but the Moto G does support something called USB OTG (on the go), which is a little plug adapter that allows you to use regular USB flash drives with your phone.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

This might not be the most convenient option, but the Moto G does support something called USB OT...

This does work very well, indeed, and is a boon to large music libraries. However, on long road trips, the fact that you can't both charge and use OTG simultaneously is a major downside 😞
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

This might not be the most convenient option, but the Moto G does support something called USB OT...

They need to invent a dual port USB OTG adapter for this very reason.
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

I think it's down to the specs, Jonathan. IIRC, the OTG specs did not allow for simultaneous charging 😞
Userlevel 5
Yeah unfortunately models are listed as #GB but because of software, OS, etc. it takes up a lot of the internal storage away.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Simple. It's $50 cheaper than the 16 GB model and Koodo was able to price it at $150 for the Tab S. $0 upfront sounds better to people than $50 upfront. 16 GB is my own bare minimum (in phones without a card slot, with a card slot I can tolerate 8 GB). I think that Koodo made the right decision overall even though I'd prefer the 16 GB as well.
Userlevel 6
Ivan wrote:

Simple. It's $50 cheaper than the 16 GB model and Koodo was able to price it at $150 for the Tab ...

You can buy an unlocked 16 GB Moto G from Staples, but it will cost you $250.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Simple. It's $50 cheaper than the 16 GB model and Koodo was able to price it at $150 for the Tab ...

That's just Staples' markup. In the US the 16 GB G is $199:

Here is the Staples link:  http://www.staples.ca/en/Motorola-MOTO-G-16GB-UNLOCKED-Smartphone/product_1013953_2-CA_1_20001