Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why doesn't the Nexus 5 that I ordered from Google Play work on Koodo? Or does it?

Hello, I recently ordered a Nexus 5 phone from the Google Play store. It arrived yesterday and I went to the Koodo store (actually Black's Photography, which is affiliated) to get it set up today, but the guy trying to help me couldn't get it to work. He made some calls (I'm guessing to Koodo tech support). The conclusion was that my phone won't work on their network. Can anybody here explain why? Or if there's anything I can do (or tell him to do) to get it to work? I've looked around a bit and I gather it has something to do with what bands are being used. According to the Nexus 5 page on the Google Play website (https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_5_black_16gb), the bands/frequencies are 2G/3G/4G LTE GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz CDMA: Band class: 0/1/10 WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19 LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41 Thanks for any help!

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Several mobile masters have successfully used a Play Store Nexus 5 with Koodo so it's definitely compatible. Have you ensured that your network settings were changed to either 3G or LTE? Did the rep test the SIM in another phone to see if that could eliminate the possibility of a faulty phone or SIM card.
Jonathan I wrote:

Several mobile masters have successfully used a Play Store Nexus 5 with Koodo so it's definitely ...

Hello, The preferred network is set to LTE. Is there another network setting that I should also change? The rep did not test the SIM card in another phone. In fact, I don't think he even tested it in this one. He seemed to be having problems even before he tried to get the phone itself set up. It looked like he was entering information about the phone into his computer and he was getting errors.
Userlevel 6
Are you sure you've properly setup the APN?
John Burke wrote:

Are you sure you've properly setup the APN?

Right now the APN is not setup at all. All of the fields are blank. I would assume that setting up the APN is something that the Koodo reps would take care of (and further assume that the road-blocks he encountered happened before he got to that stage). Just in case it's relevant, I should add that I'm currently with Telus, so I don't have the APN info for Koodo yet. Today was supposed to be the day I made the switch.
Userlevel 7
Try rebooting the phone. Any info with the phone on the computer is irrelevant because it's not a Koodo Nexus 5. The phone will work unless it's a defective unit. Go back to the store and have them activate your account as SIM only (if you're a new customer) or have them make sure the correct SIM card was activated.
Jonathan I wrote:

Try rebooting the phone. Any info with the phone on the computer is irrelevant because it's n...

I'll suggest that to the rep when I go back tomorrow. It did appear that this was the first activation he's done for a Nexus 5 that was bought directly from the Play Store, so maybe he didn't know (still a bit surprising). One would think that whoever he called (he called twice and talked to two different people) would have suggested that, rather than saying the phone is no good on their network. My old phone is regular SIM and the Nexus 5 is MicroSIM, so I'll be getting a brand new SIM card. I imagine this means that whatever MicroSIM card they pull off the shelf is the correct card?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You said that your coming from Telus so I'm curious if you ported your phone number you had with Telus to use that phone number with Koodo? If you did then it could very well be that the port just didn't go through quite yet and it could just take some time for the phone to begin working
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

You said that your coming from Telus so I'm curious if you ported your phone number you had with ...

The plan is to port my phone number, but I don't think that part of process got started yet.
Userlevel 7
I'm confused. Did you try to activate your phone today? Did the rep not give you a sim?
Chad Burr wrote:

I'm confused. Did you try to activate your phone today? Did the rep not give you a sim?

There was a sim on the counter ready to give to me, but he never actually put it in the phone as far as I could tell. I was a bit baffled by this myself, actually, but I figured that was some later part in the process that he never got to because he encountered the error.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

When you do go back try to get maybe a different rep. When I ported from telus it was instantaneous. Ask the rep to try an active sim in your phone to be sure. And the rep will give you the most current sim when you do get one (to answer your other question)
Chad Burr wrote:

When you ported, were you porting with the same phone or getting a new one at the same time as porting? I'm asking because I wondered if I could use my old locked Telus, since they're affiliated with Koodo, without jumping through any other hoops and use that phone until I get this all sorted out.
Chad Burr wrote:

I'm not sure if could get a different rep. It sounds like they've only got the two who were there today, and the other one there didn't know anymore than one I was dealing with.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

I was porting to a new phone. Which phone do you have now?
Chad Burr wrote:

I've currently got a BlackBerry Torch (9800).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

Ya you won't be able to use the torch unless it's unlocked and not a CDMA device
Hey everybody, Thanks for all the help. I went back to the store today. The rep did a sim card activation, so I'm all up and running. The only annoying thing is that even with tech support on the phone, it still took over an hour. The problem, as far as I could see, was that even before he entered any info about the phone the software made him verify that the phone wasn't lost. He entered the IMEI (for the sake of verification, I guess) and the system kept telling him that the phone wasn't valid. He was eventually able to get things to work with the help of Koodo tech support and some instructions from Google Play Support.