Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why does the app not work when i deny it use and managment of my calls and pictures?

I don't see why I should give koodo permission to manage my calls and access to my camera. Why would they need this to let me see and pay my bill? This is a violation of privacy. Since I deny the permissions it will not let me use the app!

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Access to camera is most likely gallery or camera incase you wanted to add a picture to your profile. And calls, we'll I'm not sure why. But I can assure you Koodo doesn't need your call history. It's a safe app honestly I believe there is nothing to worry about. If your worried just activate the permissions in applications and when Ur done using the app block those permissions again.
If it doesn't need this information or they're not using it for something they should not be asking to have full access to my phone. It doesn't make sense. Especially for a Service you kind of need to track your history since they refuse to send paper bills now. I'm hoping a koodo rep. will answer this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amanda wrote:

If it doesn't need this information or they're not using it for something they should not be aski...

There's not always a Koodo rep around to answer. But I'm sure one will very soon 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amanda wrote:

If it doesn't need this information or they're not using it for something they should not be aski...

Camera access is indeed there because the app gives you the option of adding a profile photo. Read phone status and identity allows the app to know when there is an incoming call, ensuring that calls don't vanish into the background because you're using the self serve app. Read and write access to the sd card allows the app to store your settings information, such as language, username, etc. Location allows the app to determine where you are, so that it can auto-select the correct province when looking at plans.
Userlevel 4
Amanda wrote:

THIS SOUNDS VERY LOGIC. IF KOODO DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION WHY THE HELL ARE THEY ASKING PERMISSION TO OBTAIN IT?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amanda wrote:

I have no clue what you're driving at. I've just told you [i]exactly what the app is using this information for.
Userlevel 4
Amanda wrote:

My comment is not anymore in the correct order. May be this is another attempt of Koodo to mix up things.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can of course use the website, which does not make these requests. Your choice.

Userlevel 4
David wrote:

You can of course use the website, which does not make these requests. Your choice.

Are you trying to be funny?
Userlevel 6
David wrote:

Not sure about being funny, but I use the website for self-serve on my phone. I see no benefit in using the app.
Userlevel 4
David wrote:

Good for you but I find more practical to use the app without anyone snooping on me.
Making me use the website is not a "choice".
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amanda wrote:

You have the choice to use another avenue provided. How is it not a choice to give two options to use?
Amanda wrote:

Either give up my privacy or use the web is not a choice when I'm forced to use the crappy website. Therefore not a choice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amanda wrote:

Koodo has all your info from your phone anyways without the app, as does every single cellular provider out there so in reality if they wanted to do anything your scared of the App about they can already do it.
Amanda wrote:

Then why ask for the permissions in order to use the app? They don't have permission to manage or make calls from my number as far as I know. At least there is nothing in the terms and agreements I have. Wether they have my information or not is not a legitimate concern. But thanks for your unhelpful comment 😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amanda wrote:

But they're not [i]asking for permission to make or manage calls. Their asking for permission to read phone status and identity:

Amanda wrote:

I can't upload a pic from my gallery of the screenshot.. But it's asking to manage and MAKE CALLS from my phone.. Don't tell me they are not when it comes up on my phone. It may be different from yours that does not make you right now buggar off you are of no help
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amanda wrote:

It's. The. Same. App.
Amanda wrote:

Your. Still. Wrong.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amanda wrote:

Whatever. You asked a question, you received an explanation. Complete with illustrations. Not my problem if you choose not to believe the answer. I'm not the one who will be inconvenienced if you decide not to use the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amanda wrote:

The site can be annoying but it is still functional. So yes, it is still a choice. Tell me what you cannot do that only the app allows, and then we can talk about it not being a choice if you need whatever functionality it is that's different

It's the generic subject when you first run your app and it asks 4 out of 4 permissions being "Allow Self-Serve to make and manage phone calls?" More specifically under that heading, it is shown in settings what that's for. And in the self-serve app's case, it's as the screenshot above that Timo uploaded.

Do you alwaysa tell people who try to help and you disagree with them to bugger off? That's a quick way to get no further help.
Amanda wrote:

Obiviously I don't want your help if I say buggar off.. Buggar off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Amanda wrote:

It's a public forum, sweetheart. You don't get to choose who is allowed to comment.
Amanda wrote:

Then go ahead and keep wasting your life commenting on my question... Not my problem.