Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why does my Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime prompt not enough storage and I have 39 gigs available on SD card?!

Galaxy Grand Prime recognizes SD card but won't let me store there. Out of storage space and tried all the fixes I've read on other forums and still no resolution to problem. Help....please! Thank you.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Lauren Is your SD card compatible with the phone? Have you tried putting it in another phone?
It was in my Samsung Note2. Worked fine. Also Grand Prime recognizes it under Storage space.
Userlevel 7
Lauren Joy Patar wrote:

It was in my Samsung Note2. Worked fine. Also Grand Prime recognizes it under Storage space.

And your phone camera is storing pictures on the sd card? Have you checked your settings to see where downloads go? Depending on the version of Android you have, sometimes the SD card can't be used for much more than document and music storage. But you need to check each app to see where it's storing those files and change the app settings accordingly.
Lauren Joy Patar wrote:

Version 5.1.1
Hi Chad. No, even photos are not stored on SD card. Says not enough storage space. I was prompted to allow photos to store on device or memory card. I chose memory card and then got the error about not enough space. I already checked apps and get the same error. This storage issue pretty much renders the phone as useless. I don't see how anyone can function with 3.5 G of free space. Why would it recognize SD card and not allow me to use it?
Lauren Joy Patar wrote:

Hi Chad. No, even photos are not stored on SD card. Says not enough storage space. I was prompted...

I did things like the *#9900# and that didn't do anything either. Samsung live chat rendered no solution either. I had already done everything they suggested. I still maintain something is wrong. I also don't see how reformatting the SD card to free up space will resolve anything when it shows 39 gigs available. Hate to spend money on new card for no reason.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lauren Joy Patar wrote:

Hi Chad. No, even photos are not stored on SD card. Says not enough storage space. I was prompted...

Make sure that everything you want is off your SD Card and then format the card in your new phone within storage settings in the settings menu, it may have become corrupt. Like I said make sure you have everything off your SD card because formatting the card will erase everything on the card.
Userlevel 5
Lauren Joy Patar wrote:

Hey Lauren,

Have you tried Paul's suggestion?

Thanks
Badge +4
Hi Lauren,

How old is the SD card?

SD cards don't last forever and degrade over time. While the SD card may appear to be performing normally and reporting the amount of storage space left, the fact that the card is unable to save data is often an early warning indicator that the card may be on its way out. The Note 2 shows a release date of September 2012, if you bought the Note 2 and the SD card around the same time, there's a good chance the card may be showing signs of age.

Formatting the card will only mask the problem. The card may work for a little while until it reaches the problem area and then you're back to where you are today. Worse, the card could fail completely and you'll have little chance of retrieving the data stored on the card.

What is the capacity and class rating printed on the card?

A new card is worth the investment, especially if you keep a lot of photos and music. A class 10, UHS-1 card in either a 32 or 64 GB capacity from a reputable manufacturer, (Kingston, Lexar, SanDisk or Samsung), should be sufficient. I'm guessing the card from the Note 2 is 64 GB, though the speed class rating may be class 4 or 6.

A class 10 card will have a slight improvement in data transfer speed and compensate for fragmentation compared to earlier class 4 or 6 cards. The class designation is a letter 'C' with the class number printed inside the letter.

Thank you all! I bought a new SD card and all appears functional now. 32G class 10 C UHS-1 400x. Guess it was corrupt. Appreciate all your guidance!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Happy you got your problem fixed. Even tho we didn'T find out what that SD card had.

Have a wonderful day.
My image won't up load but it was a sandisk 64g ultraXC1