Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why do I keep getting data charges?

Just got my new bill and have a $7.50 charge for data. I do not have a data plan. Do not want a data plan. Have turned off everything I can think of to turn off in the settings. This is the second time this has happened in less than a year. Getting frustrated!!!!!!

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you or someone you know turned on data on your phone? Have you sent any picture or mms messages recently?
Allan wrote:

Have you or someone you know turned on data on your phone? Have you sent any picture or mms messa...

I'm the only one who uses my phone. Have not sent any anything. Data is turned off.

Userlevel 6
Hey Gail,
If you want to block your data, you can add a $2 Data Block with Picture Messaging add-on. It will block your data and will still allow you to send and receive picture messaging. If you feel like this is a good fit, you can add it by going to your Koodo self-serve account at koodomobile.com/selfserve
Erwin wrote:

Hey Gail,
If you want to block your data, you can add a $2 Data Block with Picture Messaging add-...

Don't feel like I should have to pay to not get a service I don't want. Is that a one-time charge or monthly?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

Hey Gail,
If you want to block your data, you can add a $2 Data Block with Picture Messaging add-...

Are you sending picture messages? If so, the data block Erwin mentioned is a good value, as it blocks ALL data, except picture messages. If you do not send picture messages, then turning off data SHOULD stop data. What does your detailed invoice say about the amount, and days data was consumed?
Erwin wrote:

Hey Gail,

I don't send pictures by text message. Occasionally I email photos I took with my phone to my laptop but have never seen a charge for doing that as I connect to my wifi signal at home. On my detailed invoice all it says is 0.284 MB data, but no date.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

Hey Gail,

Hello Gail,

If your data was turned off all the time and you used 0.284 MB, then there might've been a leakage. I'm sure Koodo will waive off the charge for thes particular one time. Give them a call!
Userlevel 3
Hey Gail! 

I checked your account to try and figure out what happened and I noticed that you had the same charge back in February. I can see that you either sent or received a picture message that same month so it seems as if  you had opened your data to either send or receive that picture. Is it possible that you did the same last month as you were expecting to receive a something? 
Julie wrote:

Hey Gail! 

I checked your account to try and figure out what happened and I noticed that yo...

Thanks for checking Julie. I've been very careful to keep everything related to data turned off. Have told all my friends to not send me any photos via text. Both times this has happened, has been after my phone all of a sudden went dead and I had to take out battery and sim to restart it. Could that have something to do with it? If this keeps happening, it's going to cost me a lot everytime the phone goes dead!

I have notices now that there are updates but I'm afraid to do them if it's going to cost me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Julie wrote:

Hey Gail! 

I checked your account to try and figure out what happened and I noticed that yo...

Allow your updates to occur wile you are connected to Wi-Fi, and you will be OK. You can turn data off entirely for the duration of the download and reboot, then check to ensure data is still turned off.