Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why can't I send a photo by text? Data is enabled. And I'm on wi-fi anyway....

Tried sending a photo by text for the first time today.  It failed.  Three times.  I am on a prepaid plan, I have a data booster and my data is always on, but I'm doing this from home where I have wi-fi.  I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 in Nova Scotia.  

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Does your data work for other things?
Check under in your APN settings for APN type and see if it says "default, mms" or something similar. Also try turning off your wifi, leaving data on and trying to send it.

Note: MMS can only be sent over data, so a wifi connection makes no difference. 
Turned wi-fi off.  Internet works fine.  Trying to text a picture -- it's just sitting there with the little wheel going round -- just like it did before for several minutes before it failed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Young wrote:

Turned wi-fi off.  Internet works fine.  Trying to text a picture -- it's just sitting ...

Check your APN Type to make sure mms is included. If not, add it yourself.
Mark Young wrote:

Turned wi-fi off.  Internet works fine.  Trying to text a picture -- it's just sitting ...

APN type is now "default, mms" (without the quotes).  It's been twelve minutes of the wheel going round.  I deleted the earlier attempt (after 18 minutes).  Still waiting....

Mark Young wrote:

Rebooted the machine to see if it'd help.  It didn't.

Access point settings:
  • Name: KOODO
  • APN: sp.koodo.com
  • Proxy: not set
  • Port: not set
  • Username: not set
  • Password: not set
  • Server: not set
  • MMSC: http://aliasdirect.net/proxy/koodo/
  • MMS proxy: 79.49.0.18
  • MMS port: 80
  • MCC: 302
  • MNC: 220
  • Authentication type: not set
  • APN type: default, mms
  • (disabled) APN protocol: IPv4
  • (disabled) APN roaming protocol: IPv4
  • (disabled) Enable/disable APN: APN enabled
  • Bearer: unspecified
  • Mobile virtual network operator type: none
  • (disabled) Mobile virtual network operator value: not set
Proxy and Port had been set the same as MMS-proxy and -port, but I deleted those values because another community post said they should not be set.

Userlevel 7
Mark Young wrote:

At the end of the MMSC URL in your apn, add "mmsc" without the quotes.
Mark Young wrote:

Sorry, it was already there.  I had my phone in portrait and it showed just to the koodo/, which looked like a fine ending.  But when I turn my phone to landscape I see that it is, in fact ...koodo/mmsc

APN type was not set.  I've changed it to default,mms.  Trying again.  Still getting the little wheel....
PS:  before I started messing with it, I was able to attach a profile picture to a text (tho' the text didn't get sent).  Now it tells me that format isn't supported.  (I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round....)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Young wrote:

PS:  before I started messing with it, I was able to attach a profile picture to a text (tho...

What happens when you try a different text messaging app like Chomp, Handcent, or Textra?
Im just trying to determine if it is an app issue
Mark Young wrote:

PS:  before I started messing with it, I was able to attach a profile picture to a text (tho...

Are you asking about sending a photo at all, or about the profile picture in particular?

As for sending a photo, WhatsApp works fine.  I don't have any of the others you mention.  I considered downloading one of them (in case WhatsApp works differently), but *now* my internet is very slow when wi-fi is off -- so much so that google.ca timed out (tho' Girl Genius loaded eventually).  Trying to fix this problem is causing me more troubles. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Young wrote:

are you sending the photo via the sms network or are you sending it through Whatsapp's servers (like email)?  If you are sending it through their server, this is not related to the mms issues you are having. 

Mark Young wrote:

I'm afraid I don't know how my WhatsApp app works.  I push the button and it goes!  That's how I'd like my messaging app to work, too.

The App info for WhatsApp says, in the midst of a horrifyingly long list of other permissions, that it can send SMS messages and that this may cost me money.  When I turn wifi and data off, WhatsApp stops working.  
Mark Young wrote:

OK, installed Chomp and tried it out.  It sends the message.  Of course my son can't view the message using Messaging....  So does that mean it's a problem with Messaging?  On all our phones?
Mark Young wrote:

PS: it sends the photo -- or claims to have, anyway....
Mark Young wrote:

PPS: and, of course, my younger son is using Messages on an iPhone, not Messaging on an Android....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Young wrote:

Is his data enabled?  It wont work on wifi.  Cellular data must be on
Mark Young wrote:

Latest update -- chomp [i]says it sent the message with photo, but no message arrived (chomp on both ends).  I changed the settings to ask for a delivery report, and the photo is now sitting there in a "pending" state.  So it looks like it's not just Messaging that's the problem.
More information.  My elder son has the same kind of phone and plan; my younger son has the same kind of plan but a different phone (iPhone 5s).  Neither of them can send photos, either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Young wrote:

More information.  My elder son has the same kind of phone and plan; my younger son has the ...

Check settings, messages, check that mms is turned on. And yes whatsapp works strictly with data, WiFi or cellular, so it won't have the same issje.
Mark Young wrote:

More information.  My elder son has the same kind of phone and plan; my younger son has the ...

Well thanks for that suggestion, but ... uh ... what settings?  I've been thru so many settings in the last couple days making sure that they were this or that.  Mobile data is on; data roaming has been both on and off over various tests and is currently off (and it shouldn't really matter since I'm not roaming).  Flight mode is off.  My APN settings seem to be correct (see my messages above).  My Messaging app settings don't seem to have anywhere where I can turn mms on or off.  

Latest news is that chomp doesn't send/receive mms either.  

The problem is the same on two different Galaxy S-3s and one iPhone 5s.  

I've tried with wifi on and with wifi off.  With wifi off I've been able to use the internet, tho' there has been occasional slowness (to the point of timing out sometimes).  

SMS, but no MMS.  Such is my current status.  
Mark Young wrote:

Oh, and if you meant start the Settings app and go to the messages tab/command, then there is no such tab/command.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Young wrote:

Check to make sure the MMS Messaging Tab is turned on as shown below, I believe is what Goran is referring to.

Mark Young wrote:

Ah, the iPhone!  I was on my Android.  Checking that out now.

So something arrived (from iPhone to Android).  There's no picture, but there is a Download button that pops up the message "Currently unable to download.  Please try again later."
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark, at this point, I would contact Koodo. I have seen cases where this is fixed by Koodo enabling something on their end or doing a network reset on their end. It may be something simple that they can do to help you out.