Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why can I no longer get Twitter messages via SMS?

Can no longer get Twitter posts as text messages/mobile notifications on my phone.

43 replies

Userlevel 7
Did you accidentally block the twitter messages? Try restarting registering for them.
Userlevel 2
I'm having the same issue. Everything is set up properly on twitter acc't and nothing is blocked on my phone. Haven't gotten a twitter text since June 30~
Yeah I didn't change anything on my phone or Twitter account and also haven't received a tweet via text since June 30th also.
Same problem on my end. No changes made to my account. Stopped receiving all tweets after 10:36 AM Pacific Time on June 30, 2016
Userlevel 7
Have you all tried removing the nunber from your twitter and re registering
Chad Burr wrote:

I have deleted the number and re-registered. No change.
Two things I have noticed:
1. Some time after I re-registered my number and set it to send messages via sms it switched to sending the messages to the twitter app on my phone. Not sure if twitter did this but I did find in twitter support that they will do that if messages are not being received on my phone via sms
2. When I send a text to the twitter number (21212) via sms I get a reply from m
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

What was the end of #2?
Chad Burr wrote:

Oops, sorry about that.
When I send a text to the twitter number (21212) via sms I get a reply from (438) 300-0048 instead of 21212.  Eg. I send “ON” via 21212 and get the reply “Notifications are now on.” Via (438) 300-0048

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

You seem to be having no texting issues otherwise and a few people here have said it went out on the same day, I'd try contacting twitter support over it.
Userlevel 6
Hey guys! Seems like Twitter has a problem with this functionality right now and it's not only with Koodo. Our support teams are investigating with them. Thanks!
Melissa wrote:

Hey guys! Seems like Twitter has a problem with this functionality right now and it's not only wi...

Thanks Melisa. Please keep us informed on the support teams progress.
Melissa wrote:

Hey guys! Seems like Twitter has a problem with this functionality right now and it's not only wi...

Issue also appears to be affecting straight Telus users as well.  Myself (Koodo) and my coworker (Telus) are no longer receiving SMS notifications.  After working with different settings; I cannot even turn on mobile notifications for people I'm following now. 
Melissa wrote:

Are there any updates on this?  Has Twitter responded to this issue anywhere? 
Userlevel 6
Melissa wrote:

Hey Jacqueline, no updates unfortunately 😞
Userlevel 1
This also impacts public safety messages (e.g. Tsunami warnings) received from Twitter via SMS. The error message says "Sorry the FOLLOW command is not supported on your carrier."
So this does seem to be a carrier problem rather than a Twitter bug. Funny how the 'carrier' stopped supporting this functionality on June 30.
Userlevel 1
Jacqueline wrote:

So this does seem to be a carrier problem rather than a Twitter bug. Funny how the 'carrier' sto...

That's the error message I received when I sent [b]follow NWS_NTWC (tsunami warning system) to 21212. A similar response was received from the USGSted earthquake alert system. Both worked perfectly for at least a year until recently.
Userlevel 1
Well well .... I asked a friend who is on the Bell / Virgin Mobile network to attempt to [b]follow NWS_NTWC  On that system the "follow" command worked perfectly with NO error message. So I believe we can now say that this [b]IS a Telus/Koodo problem.
Userlevel 1
Rick wrote:

Well well .... I asked a friend who is on the Bell / Virgin Mobile network to attempt to [b]follo...

After this post I again tried the [b]follow NWS_NTWC and I received the same error message that the "Follow command isn't supported on your carrier".
Userlevel 1
[b]Okay Koodo --- What gives? It certainly looks like the problem is in your court!
Userlevel 1
Still not working. This is [b]VERY annoying.

Since Koodo is ignoring this problem, I will attempt to move this up the chain in Telus. Perhaps they will notice their potential liability concerning this public safety issue!
Thanks Rick, lets hope you get some traction.

Same problem as everyone's listed. Sometime around or before June 30th I stopped receiving SMS notifications from Twitter. I know other people who have no problems. The couple of people I know who are having problems are, surprise, Telus or Koodo customers. So... What gives? We've given you a timeframe so check what you changed with the network around then. This shouldn't still be broken after a month of notice.
Userlevel 4
Jeremy wrote:

Same problem as everyone's listed. Sometime around or before June 30th I stopped receiving SMS no...

Hi Jeremy, this situation is not due to a network change or an issue.  Koodo does not control Twitter’s functionality on the Koodo network. Twitter opted to deprecate certain functionality, specifically the ability to subscribe to SMS notifications of tweets and originate a tweet from a text message. There are exploratory talks to bring back this functionality however currently nothing is certain and no ETA.
Userlevel 1
Jeremy wrote:

Same problem as everyone's listed. Sometime around or before June 30th I stopped receiving SMS no...

Levis thank you for the explanation.  However, where have you been for the last month and what did Koodo/Telus do to upset Twitter?

You (Koodo/Telus/Twitter) have, in my case, disabled a public safety bulletin with zero warning. It is my guess that there are 100s if not thousands on the BC coast using the tsunami warning system. Other carriers seem to have no problem continuing this service (e.g. Bell/Virgin). My service from my carrier has been degraded and it seems to be only Koodo/Telus who have been impacted by this  issue.

I have enjoyed my time with Koodo but this feature is VERY important to me and, consequently, I may be forced to move to another carrier!