Koodo Community
Question

Why are Ontarians getting left out in a deal like this?

• 3 September 2013
  • 64 replies

Why isn't Ontario getting this amazing offer?? I'd jump on this in a heartbeat!!! Quoted from MobileSyrup.com: El Tabador, Koodo’s mascot, has launched a promo plan that is specifically designed for those in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. This is a ‘limited time offer’ and is a solid deal. Here are the finer details of the plan, but make sure you compare to other competing offers from SaskTel, MTS, Virgin and Fido. $55/month includes: - Unlimited Anytime minutes - Unlimited Evenings and weekends - Unlimited incoming calls - 5GB data - Unlimited messaging (text and picture) - Canada-wide calling and Unlimited Canada-wide calling - Call display, voicemail, call waiting and call conferencing

64 replies

Userlevel 6
It's likely due to strong competition in those Provinces. I agree it should be available to all Provinces.
Userlevel 4
Because sasktel and MTS are not in Ontario
Userlevel 2
It's likely due to strong competition in those Provinces. I agree it should be available to al...Yeah, I would think the same thing John. I also agree that it should be in every province.
Userlevel 4
It's likely due to strong competition in those Provinces. I agree it should be available to al...I had a post about this awhile ago about the same issue. I think it was a similar plan in MB and SK. I was pretty upset about it lol. EQUALITY FOR ALL!
It's likely due to strong competition in those Provinces. I agree it should be available to al...I sent an email to TopLevelService@koodomobile.com yesterday (see copy/paste below) about the very same offer, in reference to not being available in BC/Alberta. I received a call back today from Koodo/Telus loyalty retention: 877-279-3100. Unfortunately, I was not at home; however, the message they left stated they would be calling me back on Monday, in reference to the email I had sent them. You, and all the other unhappy persons, may want to do the same, as it seems to have been read and heard. I have a new "unlocked" Nexus 5 and have been looking for a plan that offers a decent amount of data at a reasonable rate. I am really frustrated with all the offers being for places other than BC and Alberta. I did a test & according to that I would need between 2 and 3 G's off data. From Nov 15 to 25, I have used 1.4 G's of data from my own wi-fi network, although, that does include the initial setup and downloading of all the apps I want. None of the plans up to 1 G are any good for me. I would like to know when we in BC and expect a decent plan at a reasonable rate, like the one below. I would like to know why the hell there are no "deals" or "good data plans" offered to persons in BC Canada ........ seems one has to be from saskatewan, manitoba, quebec, or ontario to get a decent rate ...................................................... Why don't you care to go after the business of persons from BC... I would like to be offered this plan: Koodo rolls out $55/month Unlimited talk, text, 5GB data promo in Saskatchewan and Manitoba $55/month includes: - Unlimited Anytime minutes - Unlimited Evenings and weekends - Unlimited incoming calls - 5GB data - Unlimited messaging (text and picture) - Canada-wide calling and Unlimited Canada-wide calling - Call display, voicemail, call waiting and call conferencing I was a telus customer for years; but when I get a new land line; it will not be with telus; as you don't seem to care about BC
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's likely due to strong competition in those Provinces. I agree it should be available to al...Don't hold your breath. They aren't calling to offer you an out of market plan. They're calling to explain in person why this plan isn't offered in your area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario, I think the answer becomes clear, Koodo can't afford to offer it to Ontario. Whilst in the prairies Koodo's market share isn't as high and the population is lower. Not a lot of people available to take advantage of it. Competition is different in sparcly (sp) populated areas. My two cents, your mileage may vary
Userlevel 2
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...What do you mean Koodo can't afford it? Are you suggesting it costs Koodo more money to offer this plan in Ontario then it does in the Prairies? Keeping in mind they've previously offered 6GB here numerous times.... I don't think it has anything to do with the costs involved, they don't offer it here because they have no reason to and its obviously more profitable to have higher price point plans with less data. I'd imagine that if either fido/virgin/bell/rogers came out with a 6GB plan for roughly the same cost, Koodo would follow suit. And they'd make money on it, it's not like they're going to go into the red....
Userlevel 2
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...General rule of thumb, you make more profit when you offer something at a cheaper rate and 100,000 use it rather than an expensive plan and 10,000 use it. $35 rate plan x 100,000 = $3,500,000 $55 rate plan x 10,000 = 550,000.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...I think that based on population it's not feasible to offer that in Ontario. Voice and Txt are cheap ,Data and bandwidth are not. Now everyone has 5gb of bandwith a month to play with? I'd jump in that plan in seconds and probably so would a mega ton of others. Talk about network congestion. I don't think you'll see that offered in high pop areas any time soon. The Telus network might slow to a crawl jn the Toronto area alone. Keep in mind this is just my opinion.
Userlevel 2
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...I dunno. They've offered 6GB plans previously in Ontario (for a very long period of time tbh) and it wasn't an issue, plus carriers around the world offer similar plans, even unlimited, and still make massive profits (at lower pricepoints). I don't see why Ontario should be different. I get that the Prairies have a lower population, but I don't know if you can necessarily say that equates to less congestion. They probably have a lot fewer towers, so it's possibly that the average connections per tower could be higher out west then it is in the GTA.
Userlevel 2
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...The 6Gb plan that was Canada was only around for less than a month, so it wasn't around that long. We can only really speculate as to why Onarioians don't get this promotional plan. It could very well be to compete with MTS and SaskTel, but we won't ever really know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...Let's put it this way. Voice over LTE is coming. Sooner or later cell phone service will change and everything will be data and require bandwith. They have to think about what's coming down the road. If you look at more recent plans available in Ontario, the bucket of data has been reduced. Bottom line is people are using less voice and more data. Eventually itll all be data. Koodo doesn't force people to change plans to upgrade so you could be looking at a large number of people with large data buckets in a future where it's all about your bandwith. You can't charge grandfathered plan keepers more so how do you earn enough to evolve your network?
Userlevel 2
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...Koodo has offered a 6GB plan on 3 or 4 separate occasions, Rogers had it available as a $30 addon for a few years almost, Bell/Virgin/Telus all offered it numerous times as well, it's not really something new. I fully understand that consumers value data more then voice and txt, that's the reason why 6GB isn't being offered these days imo, data is where the money is. It's not because Rogers/Telus/Koodo/Bell would go bankrupt if they offered that in Ontario, because the financial viability of providing that service would put them in the red or something. You're completely right that the bucket data has been reduced and the price for data has increased, I don't think that's coincidence, and I don't think it's because of tower maintenance costs or fear of congestion, it's just because that's what's in demand so their is a premium on it. Where should these carriers find the money to evolve the network? How about from the tens of billions of dollars they profit year after year? It's not like they're hard up for cash. We unfortunately don't really know what their 'break even' pricepoint is for the services we get, I'd bet though that they could offer 6GB Data and unlimited text/voice for $30 if they were forced to, and still make a decent profit. The problem is they have no reason to do that here, so they don't. Whereas in the Prairies they have a little more regional competition, so they lower the prices accordingly. You can bet they're still making money though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...Those plans were introduced before the abysmal new CRTC guidelines came down. The costs of doing business have gone up. Koodo can no longer reap benefits from a tab that takes forever to pay off. Nor can it's competition. I'm sure there's some right in your opinion. Just as I'm sure there's some right in mine. The only people who really know the answer likely will never answer. When I say can't afford it. I'm not necessarily talking about money, more bandwith, which is becoming more and more valuable.
Userlevel 3
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...I do not see how the new CRTC Wireless Code of Conduct affected Koodo, except on the iPhone contract plans. For all the other plans, there was no contract and I wouldn't consider a "TAB" a contract. So it should be able to last more than two years. The biggest loss for carriers will be the roaming cap, A welcome protection for consumers. If they had just lowered roaming rates to a reasonable profit margin, there wouldn't have been a need for that rule and the CRTC review now in the works.
Userlevel 2
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...The cost of providing the data hasn't gone up though, has it? The cost to the carriers for providing 1GB of data is the same now as it was before the CRTC ruling. Which was also a pretty clear attempt to make the plans and prices more transparent and clear to the consumer, and lower the contract term when a subsidized device was at play. It's a shame the carriers manipulated this and decided to increase prices across the board and in the case of Koodo, implement a tier subsidy system with additional monthly fees. IMO things are certainly less clear then they were before, and even those who never took a term subsidy have been effected, which definitely wasn't the intent of the CRTC guidelines....
Userlevel 2
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...Jack, the Tab system is a no fixed term contract. A concract is a leagally binding agreement between two parties. This is why Koodo has set up the tab system this way. And any negative balance after 24 months gets cleared automatically.
Userlevel 3
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...Its a month to month contract. Lets just say that the new Wireless Policy makes it so that what you say is true, after 24 months the tab is wiped, that does not increase the price of service, just the price of the hardware. @10% credit each month, its a crap shoot on how many months it will take to pay it off as the service value can change monthly. I think Koodo et All are wise to get clarification on the intend of the policy. Its for the protection of the consumer. Koodo has the best concept in the market for the consumer when it comes to plans/no contracts (IMO). So why mess with it. Although lately our government is on a mission against Canadian Telecom....
Userlevel 2
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...The CRTC ruling was only for the contracts. There was no mention of how carriers are to handle the pricing of their equipment/rate plans. This is what the people wanted(no more long contracts) and this is the end result of it. Becareful what you wish phone. And even if Koodo worded it as no contracts, it's still a legal binding document. So the legal intent is there, for those that want to search it out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...I don't buy that Koodo can't afford it. They don't want to. As long as we're willing to pay what they're asking, the prices won't go down. Asking for lower pricing, no matter how nicely, will not impact the pricing scheme at all.
Userlevel 2
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...That's what funny about this whole thing, the way I see it no carrier really had horrible term contract terms before the ruling. Koodo never had contracts, except for the iphone. Rogers had three year contracts, but the cost to cancel early was $12.50 + whatever subsidy was left on the hardware. It's pretty much the exact same as it was now. Cancel whenever you want but pay the subsidy back. So we have essentially the same terms as before, but it's a 2 year term instead of a 3 year term, but it doesn't really matter because if you cancel early you're still responsible for whatever the outstanding balance now. The only difference is that all of a sudden, prices have gone up across the board. I think no matter what any legislation says or is designed to do, the carriers will just spin it in a way that ends up reflecting in higher prices.
Userlevel 2
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...Regarding the congestion issue, here's some quick figures. Completely unscientific of course.... Sask: Population = 1.3 Million -> # of cellular towers = 1018 -> 1277 people/tower Manitoba: Population = 1.2 Million -> # of cellular towers = 547 -> 2194 people/tower Ontario: Population = 13.5 Million -> # of cellular towers = 8560 -> 1577 people/tower
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...I think the carriers have to look at the guidelines and say. Okay within these guidelines how can we make more money than last year and continue to grow for our shareholders. RoBellUs isn't going to turn to its shareholders and say "sorry y'all, new regs, better luck next year" nope they want to continue to be increasingly profitable. The CRTC solved a non existent problem for value carriers like Koodo. I was happy with Koodo, today's plans however, meh
Badge +4
If you think about how many people live In the prairies as opposed to how many reside in Ontario,...The rich get richer...