Koodo Community

Community

Why am I getting billed roaming charges in Sault Sainte Marie Canada because if soon Michigan towers

6 replies

Badge +4
You probably have roaming turned on, on your phone. Sault Sainte Marie is quite close to the U.S. border which would explain the roaming charges.
Userlevel 5
This is known as accidental roaming - US towers are more powerful so they pick up signals from our phones. There may be a free addition if you live near a border, otherwise you would have to keep an eye on your bill to see that it does not happen again. So you know most phones will say that you are connecting to US towers now
I put it on airplane mode and they still charged me after I called them and told them how long I was staying etc....
Userlevel 5
Chérie Zivny wrote:

I put it on airplane mode and they still charged me after I called them and told them how long I ...

It can also take up to 90 days to be billed to your account. Since your phone was in airplane mode there may be a problem with your phone....if it is under warranty then take it to a kiosk to send away for repair.....but talk to customer service/tech support first.
Userlevel 5
You can also change the settings on your phone so that it only connects to koodo towers Try calling tech support to make these changes 🙂
Userlevel 7
Dave wrote:

You can also change the settings on your phone so that it only connects to koodo towers Try ca...

All you need to do (since you tagged android) Navigate to Settings... Wireless and networks... More.... Mobile networks. Change NETWORK SELECTION to manual. Your phone will perform a scan that may take up to 2 minutes. At the end of the scan you'll be presented with a list of available networks. Choose Koodo or Telus. Note: this disables international roaming so if you go to the states and want service you'll have to change it back to automatic.