Koodo Community

Community

Solved

why am I charged roaming for text messages if I have unlimited text and never left Canada?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Gregory, are you near the border? If so go into your phones settings an manually choose to connect to Koodo instead of auto connecting to networks. Settings - More - Mobile Networks - Network Operators and let it search then select Koodo manually when carriers pop up after a minute or so
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Looks like you were in the US second week of July Gregory without a roaming add-on. Pay per use text is $0.60 you had 4, which equals to the amount you see on your bill.  
Bernard wrote:

Looks like you were in the US second week of July Gregory without a roaming add-on. Pay per use t...

I was no where near the US in July, I am at least 800km from USA border
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

Looks like you were in the US second week of July Gregory without a roaming add-on. Pay per use t...

So at no point neither you nor your phone was neither at the border or in the US at any time in July?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

Greg, best to send us a private message on Facebook where we can share more info about these texts and see if they mean anything or not. 
Userlevel 4
Hey to All,

Unfortunately by manually choosing to connect to Koodo you are in some places cutting access to the network at all. 

I will give some example what happened to me a few weeks ago when I went with a group of people to Tobermory  and Bruce Peninsuala  National Park in Northern Ontario. I set my phone manually to Koodo network. Connection on Koodo was very spoty already in this area it was constantly asking me if I want to connect to AT&T before my phone was unregistered from network at all.

On the other hand there was someone with us who was with Bell and had not only 4g data working but stable voice connection and ability to text without roaming.

That was puzzling  to me because there is Bell Tower in this area. Why Koodo cannot have access like Bell users to this tower and instead have to roam on AT&T and paying roaming fee while on Canadian soil.

Of course being more experienced I didn't allow that to happen but how about those like Gregory that maybe have no idea that in order to be connected at all he will have to pay roaming fees being technically in Canada.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jan Hope wrote:

Hey to All,

Unfortunately by manually choosing to connect to Koodo you are in some places cuttin...

OP is 300km from the closest US tower. 
Userlevel 4
Jan Hope wrote:

Hey to All,

Unfortunately by manually choosing to connect to Koodo you are in some places cuttin...

@Bernard

Actually I was thinking about it, and thought the message sounded pretty strange to me since I was aware that border was pretty far. 

The funny thing was that someone with Freedom with US roaming plan actually had connection. Chatr was totally dead and Fido was spotty. Rogers was OK. No one was on Telus but I assume if Koodo had problem Telus may as well since it suppose to use Bell towers.

Userlevel 4
Jan Hope wrote:

Hey to All,

I wonder if someone has had similar experience recently or in the past in this area of Highway 6 and Cyprus Lake Rd leading to Poplars Campgrounds, Horse Lake and ultimately to Grotto Caves.

As I mentioned before Bell had one bar but stable connection including data and texting even in the middle of the forest.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jan Hope wrote:

Hey to All,

Hmmm....we are talking about the East Coast for the user so that would be really strange if there were US towers. They would have to be on the water.