Koodo Community
Solved

Who does Koodo partner with for Roaming in the USA?

• 26 February 2019
  • 10 replies

I am travelling to a region where T-Mobile is horrendous, AT&T or Verizon are the go-to carriers in that region. I rely on my cell phone due to disability issues, not just as a convenience.
icon

Best answer by Mats 26 February 2019, 01:53

If network selection(in settings of your phone) is set to automatic your phone will automatically select one. If you want to choose then select 'manual'. It will take a bit to search and then you'll be able to select what network you want.
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Normally T-Mobile and AT&T. You'll be fine.
Normally T-Mobile and AT&T. You'll be fine.
T-Mobile frankly sucked the last time I was there. I was stranded. But AT&T seems to one that pops up favourably. Do you know if Koodo's roaming system chooses for you or can you choose a partner network when in that area? I can't find anything in the knowledge base.
Badge +4
If network selection(in settings of your phone) is set to automatic your phone will automatically select one. If you want to choose then select 'manual'. It will take a bit to search and then you'll be able to select what network you want.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So your phone tends to pick the stronger signal. All the more so if you can't even connect to one and the other is available. To be sure, go into connection settings. Your speech manual network mode and wait for the list to populate and select your preferred carrjer. Your phone will only connect with that. It depends on your phone the exact name of the settings but generally it's connections. You can google how to manual select network for your particular phone for the steps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Was in Manhattan all last week, phone was mostly on T-Mo, occasionally on AT&T. Either seemed to work fine for the most part. Parts of the subway tunnels were dead spots but I kind of expected that. The stations were fine, I'm talking in some areas between stations.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
On an android phone, you can choose network providers. Choosing automatic is usually your best bet. In Canada your phone will transparently get service from Telus and Bell towers, and then other Canadian carriers if neither of the above are available for post-paid customers.

If you use a manual connection, the phone will tell you to wait a few moments while it displays all the available signals. Stay away from Verizon or Sprint while in the US if they pop up in the available choices, as their tech is really only compatible for data, not voice or text. Choose AT&T or T-Mobile, though picking one will lock out the other valid roaming partner.

On your return home, you will also have to remember to go back to the automatic setting, or you will get no service while your handset tries to find AT&T or T-Mobile in some Canadian locale.

Settings => Network => Mobile networks => Network operators
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
On an android phone, you can choose network providers. Choosing automatic is usually your best bet. In Canada your phone will transparently get service from Telus and Bell towers, and then other Canadian carriers if neither of the above are available for post-paid customers.

@BobTheElectrician is that not an option on an iPhone, to manually choose a network? I've never had an iPhone, but just assumed all phones would give you the option.

On your return home, you will also have to remember to go back to the automatic setting, or you will get no service while your handset tries to find AT&T or T-Mobile in some Canadian locale.

@BobTheElectrician I'm actually the opposite. I prefer manually choosing Koodo while in Canada so that I don't accidentally wind up on a US tower if I happen to be near the border (do spend some time in White Rock and south Cloverdale, for example). If I didn't, I may end up with some extra $8 Easy Roam charges I didn't mean to have. When I'm in the US I flip it back to automatic so that my phone can roam, as I want it to at that time.
Badge +4
Bob mentioned Android because the OP ticked off Android for his question. Yes an IPhone is capable of manually selecting a network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob mentioned Android because the OP ticked off Android for his question. Yes an IPhone is capable of manually selecting a network.

Thanks @Mats , that makes sense. Yeah I can't see why they wouldn't offer this ability.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@BobTheElectrician is that not an option on an iPhone, to manually choose a network? I've never had an iPhone, but just assumed all phones would give you the option.On your return home, you will also have to remember to go back to the automatic setting, or you will get no service while your handset tries to find AT&T or T-Mobile in some Canadian locale.
@BobTheElectrician I'm actually the opposite. I prefer manually choosing Koodo while in Canada so that I don't accidentally wind up on a US tower if I happen to be near the border (do spend some time in White Rock and south Cloverdale, for example). If I didn't, I may end up with some extra $8 Easy Roam charges I didn't mean to have. When I'm in the US I flip it back to automatic so that my phone can roam, as I want it to at that time.

Yes. In that circumstance it makes sense to pick Koodo / Telus / Bell manually back in Canada to prohibit unintended roaming. You may also find that when you cross into the US, your Canadian signal will linger a little longer (allowing you to roam for free) because the phone won't hop onto a suddenly stronger US signal. Koodo fades 500 meters into Vermont near my crossing when left on automatic, but is good for another kilometer when locked manually, good enough for cross-border shopping jaunts.