Koodo Community

Community

Solved

While in the USA I was connected to a private Wifi network and still got dinged for data. What did I do wrong?

I was in the USA (Whidbey Isl) and was connected to the home wifi network. After arriving back home I realized that I had incurred a fair bit of data usage while connected to WIFI. How is this so? I confirmed that my 'keep wifi while screen off' setting was YES.

Thank you.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Could be a few reasons, did you have data turned off? Even with data roaming set to off it is possible for data to leak before the system realizes you're roaming and shuts it down. For this reason, I recommend turning data off if you're not planning on using network data.
Hi, thanks. I'd been in the states for a day already. Memory is fading on the Data setting. Having read a few other posts it seems the phones are not dependable to focus data while connected to Wifi so I'll look into a data toggle widget.

THANKS
Userlevel 2
Jade Carter wrote:

Hi, thanks. I'd been in the states for a day already. Memory is fading on the Data setting. Havin...

I was in Buffalo NY on Jan. 2. I turned off data but still got charged for 0.001KB which both Koodo and I didn't know why. I called *611 and they gave me $5+tax refund.
Userlevel 3
Word of caution: some data toggle widgets will not function properly on some brands of phones or may not work on all models so be sure to test it out well before you need it.