Koodo Community
Question

Which is better Galaxy or iPhone?

?????

This topic has been closed for comments

28 replies

There is a lot of misinformation I think from people that either did not use at all or did not us...I think you are confusing different things just because they have the word "cloud" in them... Google Drive is indeed a cloud service, Gmail is a cloud service, Hotmail (outlook.com now) is a cloud service, etc. iCloud is an umbrella term, positioned by Apple as a product which encompasses many cloud services: mail, contacts, calendar, your device back-up settings, office documents, bookmarks, reminders, notes. In addition iCloud encompasses photos and videos sync, music books, etc. There is no equivalent for Google drive in iCloud. You do not get access to a "drive" with folders and files, but applications can store things, things which are only visible to that application across devices. It is less flexible but easier to use for many people, because they do not have to save documents or application settings anywhere explicitly, it just happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There is a lot of misinformation I think from people that either did not use at all or did not us...Google Drive is a full cloud service, Google has it covered with a few different apps that all integrate together. Jailbreaking the will not be able to be done soon as Apple stated last week that they have fixed a couple more of the exploits used to jailbreak and that they are working towards have them all closed off soon.
There is a lot of misinformation I think from people that either did not use at all or did not use an iPhone much: - mp3 files are not converted to anything by iTunes by default. I think there is an option somewhere if you want to explicitly convert everything to AAC, but you need to explicitly turn that on. - any mp3 (ripped, downloaded) can be added to iTunes; I have yet to find an mp3 file that I cannot add. - iCloud is different in how 3rd party applications can transparently sync their settings and content between various devices using the same application. It is not just for contacts, email, calendar. In fact I personally use Google for these basic sync services. iCloud is very useful for all the other apps, in the sense that it does not require a specific setup. It just works. - Apple does sometimes, not always, close gaps allowing jailbreaking, but the same applies for other Android vendors which they do not allow the "rooting" of their device. The last few releases, did not break jailbreaking. In any case, what is better is relative and subjective. There are many things that need to be taken into account, that is why I am not saying which one is better for everybody (I can say what is better for me), I just wanted to clarify some misconceptions...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Had to post this after ppl thinking iPhone is perfectly safe and Android is vulnerable to viruses...It's data snatching and if your sharing with a simple share button on any website it is giving out your info to whoever website it is, so a hacker could easily know this and set up a website just for that or some sites can select that data and sell it which happens all the time
Userlevel 7
Had to post this after ppl thinking iPhone is perfectly safe and Android is vulnerable to viruses...That has nothing to do with viruses and "data snatching" is misleading because its not like a hacker is accessing your info
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Had to post this after ppl thinking iPhone is perfectly safe and Android is vulnerable to viruses & data snatching http://www.androidtaskforce.com/2013/03/ios-apps-like-to-share-your-personal-data-more-then-android-says-this-recent-report/ Don't believe everything apple tries to make ppl think
thanks ppls not sure which one yet not my choice my girlfriend going to choose got no say lol
Sorry it's the chamfered edge that ends up looking like crap not the actual backplate I guess the...That is made of the same material too. It is true that if you hit the edges very hard or drop the phone, the anodized black layer will eventually scratch and the aluminum silver color will show. But hey, that is better then broken plastic. Many people worried about the scratches, are getting the white iPhone 5 which has the silver edge and back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sorry it's the chamfered edge that ends up looking like crap not the actual backplate I guess the ring around the phone that connects front to back, that chips and scratches and that piece isn't anodized, the back piece is indeed. sorry I worded it wrong
Userlevel 1
I'm assuming you're comparing the latest of each? Either phone should provide you with similar...Kid, don't exagerate, the plastic cover of the S3 will not look like the first day you bought it if you don't have a case for it... (the S3 is still a better phone than the iphone 5 in every other way though)
I'm assuming you're comparing the latest of each? Either phone should provide you with similar...The point is it does not chip off or scratch that easy. I will post a picture if you really want me to. Here is the info about anodized aluminum on the Apple website (http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/): "The back of iPhone 5 is made of anodized 6000 series aluminum — the same material used in Apple notebooks". Don't you think if they would have lied, all the media would have been all over them?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm assuming you're comparing the latest of each? Either phone should provide you with similar...There is no way it's anodized or it wouldn't chip off and scratch that easy.. Post a photo of the back and sides of your iPhone 5 so I can see that there is no chips or scratches.
I'm assuming you're comparing the latest of each? Either phone should provide you with similar...BTW, the black iphone 5 is not painted, is anodized. See wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing. Anodizing (also spelled 'Anodising', particularly in the UK) is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metal parts.
I'm assuming you're comparing the latest of each? Either phone should provide you with similar...Good point. If you like plastic and not metal and glass, get the Galaxy. I am not sure the glass backing of iPhone 4 & 4S is better than the metal backing of the iPhone 5. I think the iPhone 5's is better. I have no case since last September, and I got no scratches. I tried a few cases, but I hate them. The iPhone 5 looks best without protection 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm assuming you're comparing the latest of each? Either phone should provide you with similar...The build quality on the iPhone 5 is not great, it looks like crap after having it for a few months no matter how much you baby it, the badly painted metal back scratches and chips leaving you with an ugly looking phone after a few months. While the Galaxy S3 plastic is looking like the day you bought it after a few months and even more. iPhones with the glass back are much better than the 5 as long as you don't drop it. That's when they had great build quality but they lost that with the 5 for sure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm assuming you're comparing the latest of each? Either phone should provide you with similar level of satisfaction. I'd give the iPhone 5 an edge in design and build quality, while giving the Galaxy S3 an edge in price and customizability. Go to Best Buy (or some other place with working display models) and compare these phones (and you might find other phones that interest you as well). Both are excellent devices so it'll come down to your personal preference.
Of course, jumping to the next version of any OS before it's been thoroughly tested isn't always the best thing. Think of the many iPhone users that jumped to iOS 6 and had troubles using their device for navigation as a result of Apple removing the favoured Google Maps for their own untested maps app. Sometimes it's a good thing to wait and see what bugs come to light. Ultimately it's up to you, and you should try both out at the shop if you can and see what you like best. I know many people that have jumped ship from Android to Apple, or Apple to Android because they weren't happy with what they were using. Yes, some Apple folks have second thoughts too. For those using phones already, you'll find there are those that love Android, those that love Apple, and those that want a cheaper phone that works well and has relatively new technology. Personally, I love gadgets, and I want something that is relatively up to date technology-wise at a good price. Apple won't give that to me - their phones are all high-priced. I can get similar or better tech at cheaper prices in the Android lineup. If having the newest OS appeals to you, and you want Android, look at the cheap and powerful Nexus 4 - Google will roll out its newest OS updates straight to their devices because there is no manufacturer customization to the OS to be made, it's pure Android running on Google devices. But then you run the risk of being the first to hit bugs... Waiting 6 months isn't always the worst thing. Of course, you can always use a Cyanogen mod on your device for the newer OS if you want it and it isn't available through the manufacturer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Get an iPhone 5, it is LTE capable, uses iCloud to sync all your apps, photos, documents and othe...I like how ppl argue about the I Cloud being so great, hello Google has the exact same thing. Must be more blind eyes to believing what apple tells them. Unless you have a Mac then I don't see the point in having an iPhone at all, because anything Apple can do Google can do better.... and cheaper. Apple does have more high quality games right now but Android is slowly catching up on that & I suspect a surge of great games to come soon to the Play store.
Get an iPhone 5, it is LTE capable, uses iCloud to sync all your apps, photos, documents and othe...Yes, goodness, we wouldn't want to allow people to do what they like with their devices... I funnest Apple experience was doing tech support for a lady who wanted her iPod installed on her laptop. I watched for hours as the crazy iTunes converted all the industry standard mp3s she had into its own format.... That was enough for me years ago. My Apple loving friends keep bugging me to upgrade to 'something good' and I just laugh, knowing I can use standard equipment to access and charge my phone and not have to worry about Apple changing connectors to rake in a few million more in adapter sales.
Userlevel 6
Get an iPhone 5, it is LTE capable, uses iCloud to sync all your apps, photos, documents and othe...Apple also updates the iDevices rather quickly not because it feels like it, but to counter released jailbreaks. It's always the cat/mouse game between Apple and jailbreakers. Apple should have got it over the years that people will jailbreak no matter what, but no, they keep imposing "their" way onto their users. They decide what you like, they decide how you use it... hell, they even decide how you should hold your phone up to your ear!! I had had enough after the 3GS and never looked back after I bought my HTC Desire (have had many more devices since then, but this one was my entry into the Android world).
Userlevel 1
Get an iPhone 5, it is LTE capable, uses iCloud to sync all your apps, photos, documents and othe...AMEN to everything you just said Kid. May I add ITUNES !!! What a craptaculous waste of human resources to make a device that you need to go through such a restrictive program just to add music to your phone (and btw, if you have mp3 that are not certified, itunes will give you the hardest time of your life just to download it on your phone).... and btw Erwin, there is Dropbox that is multiplatform compatible and clouds as well and even easier than icloud...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Get an iPhone 5, it is LTE capable, uses iCloud to sync all your apps, photos, documents and othe...Gee are you an isheep or what, you need to get your facts straight before you just push what you've been lied to about by Apple. Antivirus on Android checks every single app you download before you install it to your device, that is if it ever finds a virus. I've been an Android user for years now and NEVER have I encountered a virus. I'd go on but I'm refraining from bashing apple. LTE is garbage right now, it makes your battery last half as long as the same device without It, I don't know about you but I'd rather use my phone for twice as long without having to charge it then to get a Web page a second faster. If you really want LTE the Galaxy S3 has LTE, which you forgot to state. You are comparing the iPhone 5 to the Galaxy S2x and saying the iPhone 5 is so much better which isn't true they are about the same but you forgot to say that the Galaxy S2x is HALF THE PRICE Actually less than half the price of the iPhone 5, & the you didn't dare compare it to the Galaxy S3 because the Galaxy S3 is better in every single way then the iPhone 5 yet they are priced the same pretty much. Also Apple pushes out their updates fast, well of course they do because they have to update 1 device basically. Look at all the issues they had with IOS 6 even though they only had to make basically one update it was laughable. I hate apple but I didn't just say that apple sucks and Android is the best line you have just the other way around and full of lies lol Oh and Jelly Bean wasn't released in 2011, it was released in July of 2012.And it s on the Galaxy S3 right now
Userlevel 6
Get an iPhone 5, it is LTE capable, uses iCloud to sync all your apps, photos, documents and others. You are guaranteed your iPhone will be continuously updated to the latest iOS immediately when it is released. With android, if google releases an update, typically you have to wait 6 months to a year before seeing it into your phone. Like the Galaxy sIIX, google released Jellybean on 2011, until now, it is still using the old OS, they have plans to update it but they keep pushing it back. PLUS, apple takes care of their phones, if there is a virus out there, they are quick to issue a fix. With android, it is all up to you, you have to download an anti-virus (doesn't do anything just checks your settings) and thats about it. Go for Apple and you won't have second thoughts.
If you already have Apple products and have bought apps for them, then you might want to stay with Apple and have those apps on your new phone. If you haven't bought anything Apple, then you might want to consider what type of app store you enjoy. Apple is very restrictive with their devices, and if Apple doesn't want you to have something, you won't see it in the Apple Store, and if you really want it, you'll have to jailbreak your phone to get it, something Apple is trying very hard to stop people from being able to do. The Android system is very open, and you can load apps from anywhere. That being said, you should be careful where you get apps from to avoid malicious apps. There are plenty of free apps on the Google Play store that cover a multitude of interests, and it is growing very fast. Don't find what you want on the Google Play store? Maybe you can find it elsewhere. Just be careful. Ultimately, you might want to check out each store and see what is available in your interest areas, and what kind of prices you'll pay to get what you want. If you don't like the idea of big brother making the choices of what you can and can't have, you might want to stay away from Apple.
It depends what you prefer and what Galaxy your looking at. If you are looking for the best phone...My brother has the iPhone 4 while I have the Galaxy S2X, both are great phones and now fairly close in price (S3 and i5 are also close to each other in price) but like Kid Android said, the customization options for the Android are far superior over any Apple phone (in terms of layout, widgets, etc.) while iOS is simple, clean, and elegant. iCloud is probably the best cloud-based app of any phone, so if you will use it the iPhone may be the better choice. The rest might be considered little things, but the little things tip the balance for me, though. Expandable memory on most Android phones, the removable battery, NFC and Wi-Fi Direct (two very nifty little tools), and the relative ease with which certain Android phones can be unlocked and used on other networks in other parts of the world (which I need), all make it, in my opinion, a more versatile and useful phone. Not necessarily better, just more versatile.