Koodo Community

Community

Solved

When will the MotoG (2nd gen) be available?

I have 2 friends who are current unhappy with their phone providers and am trying to recommend to Koodo. they both are looking for the 2nd generation MotoG phone, does anybody have any ETA on when it might be available?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Couldn't tell you. Just keep checking the FB page. I loved the original G so adding a better camera, bigger screen, and microSD slot without increasing the price is a win for me. I hope Koodo picks it up considering the success of the first.
Userlevel 7
Hi Alex, There hasn't been any official announcement in regards to when Koodo will receive the Moto G (2014), the best way to find out when Koodo will get it is when they announce it. You can check the Koodo community or the Facebook page for updates when a new phone comes available. Hope that helps
Thanks for the answers guys, hopefully they will release it soon but on the off chance my friends can't wait to swap to kodoo do you know if they would just be able to use their existing phone and upgrade to the 2nd gen motoG on a tab when it is in fact released?
Userlevel 7
Alex West wrote:

Thanks for the answers guys, hopefully they will release it soon but on the off chance my friends...

It all depends on the phone and carrier they have. If they are with anything other than Telus they will need to get the phones unlocked beforehand. Keep in mind that not all Telus phones will work with Koodo (android phones normally have to be unlocked first). They would also qualify for the No Tab discount on their accounts when signing up for a plan when bringing their own phone. Hope that helps too! 🙂
Alex West wrote:

Thanks for the answers guys, hopefully they will release it soon but on the off chance my friends...

Hmm it's an older blackberry model that's not with Telus, do you know if they would have to pay a fee to get it unlocked with koodo?
Userlevel 7
Alex West wrote:

Koodo used to unlock phones for free a while ago when people were signing up for a new account. Not sure if they're doing that anymore, I'm sure someone will speak up and say whether or not that is the case. Also certain models of Blackberry phones (2G) won't work with Koodo so they will need to find out if the phone they have is compatible with Koodos network.
Userlevel 2
Note that Motorola and the Canadian carriers have cooked up exclusive deals, and Motorola blocks unlocked retail-channel sale of the LTE model in Canada. The original G wasn't available unlocked for at least six months after its release, and with that pattern the LTE won't come along until after Christmas. For the 2nd gen G, it will be in the retail channel at launch (Staples will carry it), so no carrier exclusives. Wind is going to carry it (no pricing yet), and it will be interesting to see which carriers take it up. Like the Moto E, Motorola has set an artificially high list price and blocks Amazon from selling it, so Canadian are yet again getting hosed compared to the US, UK and EU.
My old Canadian carrier which I switched to Koodo from carries it; Speakout 7eleven for $199, though it just sold out a couple days ago. http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cellphones