Koodo Community

Community

Solved

when is android 4.3 being released for the nexus 4?

As posted on the Nexus 4 fb page. Google Nexus 4 to get Android 4.3 today(7/24/2014)*Koodo date yet unnanounced?* Google officially announced the latest version of Android operating system, 4.3, at its event today. Android 4.3 will bring new capabilities to the multi-user mode that’s already available on Jelly Bean tablets: restricted profile. Thanks to the restricted profile feature, tablet owners will be able to customize the kind of access other people have on certain devices, a feature particularly useful for parents that share tablets with their children. In restricted mode, apps will be available to multiple profiles, but they will behave differently. For example, in-app purchases won’t be available to a restricted profile, so a child won’t be able to purchase anything by mistake. Bluetooth Smart (or Bluetooth Low Energy) will finally be supported by Android 4.3 – just as previously rumored – which means users will be able to pair a variety of Bluetooth-enabled devices to their Android 4.3-running devices. Android 4.3 comes with OpenGL ES 3.0 support, which means game developers will be able to offer even more impressive games to tablet and smartphone users that run the latest Android version. The new OS also brings new DRM APIs that will offer hardware-based encryption for videos, a feature that will be already used by the Netflix app for Android. The company has listed several other Android 4.3 features without specifically stopping to detail them, including: easier text input faster user-switching Hebrew and Arabic RTL Bluetooth AVRCP background Wi-Fi location dial pad autocomplete Africaans, Amharic, Hindi, Swahili and Zulu support As you can see – and as we’ve seen already in those leaked Android 4.3 builds – Android 4.3 isn’t a major update, but rather a minor one that brings several improvements to the OS. A full changelog for Android 4.3 was not available online at the time this article was written. The Android 4.3 Jelly Bean page went up. Android 4.3 will be initially available on the New Nexus 7, but it will be rolled out to existing Nexus devices including Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 10, Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Nexus devices will only get the OTA update later down the road.

10 replies

Just to be clear JellyBean 4.3 was announced today...NOT neccesarily released for Koodo today...Just to be clear.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sav Age wrote:

Just to be clear JellyBean 4.3 was announced today...NOT neccesarily released for Koodo today...J...

It will be sent out in batches with ppl who bought the nexus 4 from the google playstore being first & specifically in the US usually. Then other countries will roll out, only google knows exactly when the update will be rolled out to each country but Canada shouldnt be too long after the US.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
running Android 4.3 on my Koodo Nexus 4 as I type this. If you havent recieved it yet you will soon. i got it by doing multiple manual check in's to trick it into getting it.
By "manual check in's" do you mean pushing the Check Now button in System Updates?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Guiltysprk wrote:

By "manual check in's" do you mean pushing the Check Now button in System Updates?

No by force closing & clearing the google services app and then quickly going to your dialing app and dialing the manual checkin code and then going back into settings pressing the check for updates button. You have to do all of it super quick before the phone reads checkin succeeded. Its not easy to do and I had to do it like 15 times before it would take and display the update.
Guiltysprk wrote:

A noob here but have to ask where do I find the manual checkin code?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Guiltysprk wrote:

Search the Web you might get lucky, I can't give it out I've been sworn to secrecy, sorry 😉 It's rolling out in Canada now so your Nexus 4 should be getting it now anyways. Turn your phone off and on and check it again you should have it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I've noticed one great thing with the 4.3 update so far and that's reception quality. On 4.2 I had 1 or 2 bars most of the time to a max of 3 bars, Now on 4.3 I'm sitting at a full 4 bars constantly i haven't seen it drop below full reception since I updated last night. I'll let everyone know notice any other upgrades or other random goodness 🙂 Its also even snappier, it seems almost as fast as my Galaxy S4 now. very impressed by the update for those 2 things alone .
Userlevel 6
My favorite new feature of 4.3 (as I'm sure Paul will agree with) has to be the new Notification system!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Burke wrote:

My favorite new feature of 4.3 (as I'm sure Paul will agree with) has to be the new Notification ...

Oh hands down its a killer feature that makes it so if you have various notification apps running you don't have to delete each and every one one by one including the ones in the notification bar. You delete the message from one and it disappears from all which is amazing. Probably one of my favorite features on an update ever which is surprising considering 4.3 seemed so non exciting 😉 It will also delete notifications from showing up on your other devices if you've already cleared or responded them from one device they will not show or clear from other devices as well. Devices running 4.3 also that is. This is really handy for us with multiple Android devices because I hate turning another one on and the notifications flow I'm for like two minutes with the device singing like a hip hop jam with notification tones chopping their way out into the night air like some funk master flex scratch track lol. All the little behind the scenes things 4.3 has brought is really getting things ready for Android 5.0 KLP to blow the roof off the mobile world 🙂