Koodo Community

Community

Solved

What Valid photo ID is acceptable? Wanting to upgrade my phone

What Valid photo ID can I use? I want to upgrade my phone. I have an old citizenship card (the laminated one) but the picture is from when I was a child. I have a current OHIP card (heath card with photo + signature), but I don't have a DL or an Ontario ID card. So should I just apply for an Ontario ID card and wait the 4-6 weeks or is OHIP + another peice of ID good enough? I didn't have this problem the last time I upgraded my phone but I recently learned the laminated citizen cards were no good anymore. Is there any way I can show valid ID without needing to wait for an ON id card?

12 replies

Badge +4
Health cards are not a recognized form of photo identification, any of the following minus the drivers license are accepted forms of photo ID. Valid Canadian Driver’s License - omit Valid Passport (Canadian or Foreign) Work Visa Department of Defense ID Permanent Resident Card Native Canadian Status Card CNIB Card Valid Provincial/Territorial Photo ID (government issued) If you don't have any of these pieces of identification, then you'll have to apply for the Ontario ID card.
Userlevel 2
rikkster wrote:

Health cards are not a recognized form of photo identification, any of the following minus the dr...

Actually health cards with picture in SOME circumstances are accepted as photo ID. The retailer or requester may not ask it however if presented must accept it as valid ID. (From experience) all depends on the situation.
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Health cards are not a recognized form of photo identification, any of the following minus the dr...

Under the Health Cards and Numbers Control Act, I respectfully disagree. No one can ask to see your health card other than persons who are employed in the health care profession. If the card is voluntarily surrendered, the information that appears on the health card cannot be recorded or stored electronically as this would be in violation of a person's privacy under the Act.
Userlevel 2
rikkster wrote:

You just clarified my answered. I stated it can be accepted under certain circumstances but you cannot be asked for it. As having gone through this before having no ID except for my health card with picture on it.
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

I am stating both fact and the law. Nowhere is it written in the Act that a health card can be accepted for the purpose of establishing ones identity under any circumstance other than what I've already mentioned. Koodo, along with their partnered retailers, are under no obligation to accept a health card as a valid form of identification and for good reason. The person who accepted your health card as identification could face a penalty in the form of a hefty fine. The retailer cannot make or store an electronic copy of your health card, so essentially there's no record of you in the system. You were either dealing with someone new or you just plain lucked out. The bottom line is that Koodo does not accept health cards as identification.
Userlevel 7
rikkster wrote:

Rikkster, you do know accepting health cards as ID is province specific, right?
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Yes I do and if that were the case, it should have been brought up. Gopaul mentioned Ontario in his original post so that's what I'm basing this on.
Userlevel 2
rikkster wrote:

I've dealt with OLG and other places and they can accept it but cannot ask for it if not other ID is available. I'm not gonna argue when I've been through it multiple times until finally obtaining the ontario photo ID. I am also in Ontario.
Userlevel 2
rikkster wrote:

Just an example if I walked into a store and had no other ID other than health card and presented it to obtain say smokes or a scratch ticket. The retailer must accept it for the purpose of ID. Yes you are correct it cannot be entered into any system other than a health care system. However for age or proof of who you are , OHIO with photo cards are accepted.
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Completely different scenario altogether. By retailers, I was referring to Koodo and their partnered retailers which is the basis of this topic. No need for an argument, I challenged your initial comment because in this instance, health cards are not accepted as identification. End of story.
thank you. Looks like im in for a wait before my next phone 😛
Badge +4
Gopaul Parbatie wrote:

thank you. Looks like im in for a wait before my next phone :P

You're welcome Gopaul. You may want to look at prepaid as an alternative.