Koodo Community

Community

Solved

What's eating data on a new phone?

How do you tell when and why you're using data? Admittedly I'm a smart phone newbie here. I just got the Samsung Note II a few hours ago but I have some technological smarts. I for sure haven't checked email or been on the internet - all I've done is set up my voice mail. Yet apparently I've already used 25 MB of my data. How? Is it getting eaten my some background function like reporting the weather on the home screen?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Samantha, If you want to check your usage for your data, go into Settings then select Data Usage, it will give you a list of what has been using your data in the background. Hope that helps 🙂
Userlevel 7
Any time data is enabled, your phone may fo things like update the news and weather, check for phone updates and upgrades or even just ping google services and say "hi, im here!, im active" To make sure this doesn't happen constantly, you can disable background data, also open apps and be sure they aren't set to update automatically. Alternatively you can shut data off and just use wifi where it's available. In the grand scheme of things 25mb isn't a lot of data. for example, Microsoft One Note for android is about 30mb. I suggest installing an app called 3g watchdog which will help you monitor and manage your data use. Hope this helps
Thanks! Ah, okay, I should've scrolled down further on the data usage page. Apparently simply glancing at the google play site (which now I think I did do but didn't engage with it) used a whole 16 MB. There's a bunch of other services I didn't access like hang-outs. Maybe it's some kind of set-up thing because I did give it my google account. Dumb question 1): how do you know if an app is going to use data (e.g. is self-contained on the phone) or do they all call home and therefore connect to the internet? Dumb question 2) The data usage is also still climbing, I guess because it's checking for new gmail messages. How do I stop it doing this? At this rate I'm going to go through my 500 MBs in a few days!
Userlevel 7
Samantha Thompson wrote:

Thanks! Ah, okay, I should've scrolled down further on the data usage page. Apparently simply gla...

1. They will automatically connect to the internet when data is active, and 2. When you click into the app that it shows using data you can disable background data so that it won't run in the background, otherwise you can simply disable your data when not using it (when disabling an app for background usage it will not send updates unless you go into the app, or you're connected to wifi) Hope that helps 🙂
Userlevel 7
Samantha Thompson wrote:

Thanks! Ah, okay, I should've scrolled down further on the data usage page. Apparently simply gla...

There are no dumb questions Turn your data off and attempt to use an app. If it doesn't work it probably needs data. Secondly, connect to Wifi as much as possible. Wifi over rides network data in almost every instance (except sending pictures MMS)
Userlevel 5
Hi Samantha, Under your email settings, you can select how often you want your phone to check for emails. That being said, as this is a new phone, it's like trying to do a full download of your mailbox. I recommend connecting to WIFI (if available) and leaving this on at all times. Some will argue that this eats into your battery life but I personally haven't seen it make that big of a difference (Blackberry Z10, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6). I leave the WIFI on my phone always on since the moment I'm in place I'm frequently at (i.e. home or office), my phone will automatically use WIFI vs. 3G/LTE. Unfortunately, AFAIK, there's no 'easy way' to know if the app is going to use data. Your safest bet here would be to manually disable data before launching an app. That being said, you can probably 'guess' if the app will use data (i.e. social media app vs. a calculator app). Hope this helps somewhat.
Thanks all, I really am a newbie. I'll try to see how to shut down some of the automatic connecting it's doing if it really eats into my data.
Userlevel 7
Sounds good, like Chad said, there are no dumb questions, if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to post a question on the Koodo community or refer back to this thread if anything else comes up. 🙂 Above all, enjoy your new phone!
Userlevel 5
+ 1. Welcome to the forums 🙂
Yo that's not Dumb question relly default Gmail is little Dum a bit don't worry you won't need to use the default Gmail just look for invlop from there setup is easy fill out your Gmail username password It will ask you use time schedule time end time don't worry about that just put your inger on there send I hope this helps I hope this make sense to you please take care
Thanks Peter - is there some way to stop the phone accessing data all the time even when WIFI isn't available - e.g. how do you disable data? Is this right: under "more networks"/"mobile networks", uncheck "mobile data"? I don't have WIFI in work, sadly, but do at home. The WIFI switch on my phone is enabled right now where I am but I don't have a password for any of the secure networks showing up. sigh. You guys are great.
Userlevel 7
Samantha Thompson wrote:

Thanks Peter - is there some way to stop the phone accessing data all the time even when WIFI isn...

Hi Samantha,

You can also toggle data on and off from the Data Usage page in settings. Turn your data off when not using it.

Hope that helps 🙂
Userlevel 5
Hi Samantha, We're here to help 🙂 You're 100% correct on how to disable data (under "more networks"/"mobile networks", uncheck "mobile data")