Koodo Community

Community

Question

what phone should i get next? G5?

Currently have a Nexus 5 and absolutely love it, but it's starting to die on me a bit. Looking for input on what phone I should get next... thinking LG G5? NO Iphones & NO samsung phones. Don't want anything too large.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
For the price, the G5 is probably your best option for a phone from Koodo considering price and performance. There are plenty of options for unlocked phones from other retailers though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you have the money for the G6 get it, I chose it over the S8+ because I'm not a fan of curved displays and I'm glad I did I absolutely love it. The camera is amazing or cameras I should say since it has dual rear cameras. The build is the most solid build of its kind I've seen and the flat metal side rails make it very easy to hold compared to rounded thin side phones. IMO its the best looking phone I've ever had in the platinum silver model I got. The display is IMO the best looking display I've ever seen as it is crystal clear and has bold colors without being over saturated like Samsung's displays. I also like the software on the phone better than Samsung's. The battery life is pretty great I'm getting 5.5 hours SOT on average over the day and when it does die it charges nice and quick. Its speaker actually sounds really good for a single bottom firing speaker and definitely better than Samsung's. From the speaker sound you can't even tell its waterproof like you can with Samsung's as it has a nice depth to it and it isn't tingy sounding. I do wish it had more than 32gb of storage but there's an SD card slot so it's not a huge deal. Oh best thing over Samsung's is the fingerprint sensor which is fast and accurate and in a great place on tbr back UNDER the camera in thr middle where you finger naturally goes. The sound over headphones sounds better than most phones as well. It also has wireless charging built in. I've had many flagship phones over the years from every major manufacturer and the G6 is my favorite phone I've had yet and highly recommend it.
Userlevel 6
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

If you have the money for the G6 get it, I chose it over the S8+ because I'm not a fan of curved ...

What you said, exactly. I had two (both defective) S8+ before I switched to the G6, and the G6 is superior (IMO). It's faster (NO lag), display is better (and flat!), Dual camera setup is better, battery life is superior, and the fingerprint sensor is actually in a useful position.
Userlevel 6
G5 or G6. I have a G6 and it's awesome. It's as smooth as my Pixel was. It's only a few months old though, so the price is still up there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
G5 is right up your alley then. Price is right. There's also a wide range of phones you can buy not sold by Koodo. What's your budget? Do you have a positive tab with Koodo?
Goran wrote:

G5 is right up your alley then. Price is right. There's also a wide range of phones you can buy n...

I have liked $40 positive tab.... not much but something. Don't want to spend a lot... maybe liked $50 or something, but no more. that why i'm thinking the G5 might be right for me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

G5 is right up your alley then. Price is right. There's also a wide range of phones you can buy n...

Just to clairfy. If you get the phone on Tab Medium, it costs $100 up front, then $15/month for 2 years ($360). With your tab discount you would pay $60 up front but the total cost of the phone wont be $60, in your case it would be $420 + tax.
Userlevel 6
Goran wrote:

If you want good bang for your buck, buy a Leeco Maxx 2 online. Pay less than you would for the LG G5 and still get good bang for your buck. I'm no Samsung fan, not much of an LG user either, and doesn't look like Koodo's Android line-up offers much else. Going mid-range would land you an LG Stylo 3 (newer phone, but not a flagship) or Galaxy A5 (but you said no Samsung). Moto G4 Play is probably too low-end for you and Moto G4 Plus is kind of a dud (not a popular phone across all carriers due to the higher entry cost for an elevated budget device). LG G5 you're just delaying the need for another early upgrade (with the bootloop risk).
If you're in the market for a Sony, depending on where you're located, you could get an XA1 Ultra (Koodo won't carry Sony's). Retail for $420, Freedom and Videotron carry it, but pretty good specs for the price. No good deals on a "hit and run" with those carriers so probably best to buy it outright and grab the unlock code for it on eBay.
You're coming from a Nexus, and Pixel phones are still expensive. $904 on Koodo for a Pixel, plus I've heard about many Pixels being sent in for repairs. Cheaper alternative to the Nexus/Pixel are Moto phones. Moto Z2 Play (2017) just launched on Bell ($800), Freedom and Sasktel (both $700). None of 'em offer much of a deal as the phone is still new (but if you're OK to buy out-right, still cheaper than a Pixel and unlock code for $2 on ebay). MZ2P includes the rev 2 speaker mod until supplies run out. Koodo ran out of stock for the Moto Z Play (2016), but it's available (I think) at Costco for $650 (unlocked).
If you plan on getting an LG G5 as an upgrade on Koodo, I recommend going to Wow Mobile and doing a trade-in. The trade-in plus the tab credit will likely grind you down to paying roughly nothing up-front and going on tab small.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

The LG G5 is covered for an extra year for any bootloader issues now.
Userlevel 6
Goran wrote:

@Paul: that's great, but that means the user must back up everything perhaps at least once per month (as LG will never compensate for loss of stored files on the device), just to have the phone replaced with another LG G5 in case of a bootloop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Are backups so difficult? Mine automatically backup each time I charge them.
Userlevel 6
Goran wrote:

@David: Not necessarily. Obviously things such as contacts, emails, etc. are mostly cloud-sync'd. But things such as texts (SMS/MMS), miscellaneous downloaded files, etc. might not be backed-up and someone could be out on a lot of personal digital property should their daily driver land a bootloop.
The fact is, users shouldn't have to "anticipate" that their handset would brick if they're not messing with developper features.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Everyone has learned to back up their computers even throughout creation of projects incase of catastrophic failures and as smartphones are basically tiny computers one should really be treating their smartphone the same as they do their computer (PC/Mac).
When setting up anyone's mobile device for them I always set up everything to back up automatically when connected to a wifi signal and saved many ppl from losing things none of which had a LG G5 and NONE having messed with any Dev settings, things happen with all devices and one should plan ahead for that.
Userlevel 6
Goran wrote:

Agreed that cellphone users should back up everything at least one a while. But to take a phone that has a standing chance of bricking on its own within the 2 years is not promising...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

@Paul - unfortunately lots of folks still do not back up their computers 😞

@titaniumtux - properly backed up devices will also back-up SMS, photos, etc. Random downloaded files can be re-downloaded. You don't backup because your phone might brick. You backup due to any number of unforeseen circumstances, such as your phone being stolen, going for a swim, or even a trial by fire. Backups are an important step to be taken seriously as there are many instances of loss of data other than by the bricking of a phone.

Userlevel 6
Goran wrote:

@David: I agree with you. Yet some people have an extremely safe lifestyle that makes theft, swim or even a trial by fire less likely to happen than a bootloop. Such people have the luxury of migrating everything to their new phone when they upgrade, even if they don't have anything backed up 😃
I'm just saying that bootloops shouldn't be one extra reason for ppl to back up their stuff.