Koodo Community

Community

What kind of SD card can I use with Moto G 3rd gen?

I've tried several different SD cards, but every time I format them to internal memory I get an error message saying the SD card is slow and may cause apps to stutter. The SD card will work for a short time, then it will suddenly stop accepting apps altogether and my phone will error saying I don't have enough memory, even when I still have over 10 gigs of memory left on the SD card. I've tried more expensive high performance SD cards, but I still get the same problem. Exactly what kind of SD card do i need that will actually work with the Moto G 3rd gen?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Any class 10 card will work fine with that phone.
Chadwick wrote:

The SD card currently in my phone is class 10, but I got the same slow down and error messages and now it won't accept apps at all
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Is it a popular brand card? Maybe the card has been written too many times and is no good I'm not too sure why it's not working. Have you tried searching forums and YouTube for answers? Maybe Google?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Need more info here. Name and brand of card. How old is it. What was it used for before this?
Chadwick wrote:

lexar 633x 16GB micro SD HC I class 10
Chadwick wrote:

I bought it specifically for my phone so it's never been rewritten
Chadwick wrote:

I've also checked every source I can find, but everyone just keep saying class 10 should work
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Your Lexar 633x 16 GB, Class 10/UHS-1 microSD card should work, however I usually go for the highest capacity microSD card the phone will allow. In this case 32 GB. Internal storage isn't what it's all cracked up to be. I've run into issues related to poor read/write speeds and sluggish performance with some phones and tablets, while using reputable name brand microSD cards. Switching back to portable storage corrected the problems. "Downloaded applications, their data and media can be moved to the Adopted card, as long as the application developer allows for this feature with their application". Meaning, that some apps will remain in the phones' internal storage/memory area. Do you have the 8 GB or 16 GB Moto G 3rd. Gen?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some background reading on using the SD card for apps:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/105572/p/30,6720,939...