Koodo Community

Community

Solved

What is damaged

Hi my brand new phone felt down from 30-40cm inside my car, it was with Otter box protectior.The didplay didn't even get a light scratch on it -it is in perfect shape, but inside I see some scratches, under my display glass and all the display is black. When I connect it to the pc I see the device but there is not any information....How can it broke this way with the protection cover and without any phisic damages?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Was it sitting outside in the car or somewhere for awhile? This could make things very brittle and when dropped things can get damaged not usually from such a short distance though. Can you post a picture of the device in the case showing the screen where it's damaged?

You can see a light scratch but it is under the display glass, not on it
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The case clearly didn't absorb enough shock. This could be due to a poor build quality of the case and/or the phone as well as other factors, such as initial point of impact or ambient temperature. As Paul mentioned, if the phone was left in a cold car, this could've made the internal components more susceptible to damage.
Userlevel 7
If you bought the case for very little off of amazon, it could be a fake one, and would cause it not to absorb the shock. I've had my S4 in one for years and it went flying down stairs, tossed in the air and never did it scratch or get damaged.

I would also echo that if it was in your car, the temperature could be the main factor in the screen cracking on such a small drop.
No the phone was bring to my car with me and felt fown from the seat durimg the trip.I suppose that I can not ask for garanty repair even if there are noot phisic damages on the display.The case was bought from a koodo shop at the same time ad the phone and it's supposed to protect for 50$ price....And another question is it normal that every file on the phone is missing?
The phone was at my office before same as me and it wasn't so cold yesterday
Userlevel 7
In terms of uour options with Koodo, all you can do is send it in for a quote for repair because warranty won't cover this. The otterbox issue is with otterbox, maybe ask them to reimburse you or something
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sadly nothing is 100%. As echoed before, low temperatures make things more brittle. It was very likely a contributing factor.  It could have taken a micro fracture from some other fall or manufacturing defect, and the break occurred from that point. Of course there's no way to find out.

I've been told that Otterbox has some sort of guarantee for phones breaking due to falls, but I can't seem to find it. You can try to see if they can/will help. Otherwise, unfortunately you'll have to repair the phone or get it repaired. I don't know where you are located, as the cost varies by tens of dollars for most repair locations. Just about any screen on amazon or ebay goes for 90-120 dollars assuming you do it yourself. Add labour for an idea of what a repair store would charge.
Thak you all! Do you know some trusted seller for screens.? I can't find any for my model, it is samsung galaxy s5neo g903w.there is for others g903 but for the w serie.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
They're the same phone except for frequency bands. After looking into it, the g903w is the Pacific market lte-a variant. The screen should not matter. I don't know any personally I go by seller feedback if online.
Userlevel 4
Check your local kijiji or fb phone groups. I find there's always a couple locals offering screen replacements but be aware that if you do go to a third party for this it will likely void your warrenty if you still have one on the phone.