Koodo Community

Community

We need more affordable data "only" plans

Userlevel 1
Why are we being deprived of data,the koodo plans are just as bad as the rest of the bunch,not much data at a reasonable price,unlike the US where one  can get unlimited 3 G data for $8 a month on the largest provider or Mexico where one can get 1Gig for about $23 a month.  

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Yes, I needed a data only plan and as it is something Koodo doesn't offer I had to go with one of their competitors. As a matter of principal I wouldn't use Telus because they own Koodo 🙂 I figured if they were going to pass up business by not offering something they easily could then they should really not get the business 🙂
Userlevel 6
If Koodo ever releases a data-only plan, I'm sorry to tell you that it won't be much cheaper than the same plan with unlm voice+sms. Bundling makes plans more "appealing" (for lack of a better/worse word) so since minutes are in lesser demand, bundling them along in an unlimited fashion makes the high price of data a bit more swallowable. Take that away (and SMS) and you're still left with data that's sold at a premium in Canada. I can't see more than $5 being shaven off a plan by taking out voice and SMS. As long as demand will be up AND people willing to pay even more for it, data will remain über expensive, plain and simple.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

If Koodo ever releases a data-only plan, I'm sorry to tell you that it won't be much cheaper than...

Virgin has 5 GB for $35. How's that not a lot cheaper?
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

If Koodo ever releases a data-only plan, I'm sorry to tell you that it won't be much cheaper than...

It's "officially" a tablet-only plan Ivan. Of course we can use it as long as we use an IMEI's that's not in Virgin's database, but for the average Joe, it's a tablet plan, not a "data-only" plan and Virgin will sell it as such when people ask. That's why I think that if a carrier was to promote a data-only plan intended to be used with smartphones, it wouldn't be a whole lot cheaper than a full blown plan.