Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Waterproof Case problem for Samsung S4 apparently


I bought a new cell phone from Koodo in July.  I discovered while on vacation the speakerphone didn't work.  When I returned to the Koodo Kiosk I was advised because the cell was older than two weeks but under a month, I had to wait a month for repair assistance, there was nothing they could do. (I posted this complaint at the time.)  When I returned the rep suggested it was the SIM card & replaced it ...but the speakerphone still was not working...I returned again, was advised it was a software issue because the phone rang ...so the software was rebooted ...but the speakerphone sound still was broken-up (can't understand the other person).  I returned to the Kelowna Kiosk the 4th time ...which was actually the sixth time (twice I had to leave the long wait because of work), I was told it was the waterproof case I purchased with the phone ...and because it is sooooo long since I purchased it, there was nothing Koodo could do.  I asked to speak with a manager who refused to speak with me - name Prabhjot Singh ...then advised if I find the receipt with transaction #, they might be able to exchange.  Of course the first two times I went to Koodo, I brought EVERYTHING. (The almost $100.00 waterproof case was on a separate receipt because initially I declined buying it, as was recommended but returned a half hour later, before closing to purchase it ...Koodo did say it was the best!)  I am searching for the receipt because I recently did a major paper purge (local shredding fundraiser).  It appears after months of different suggestions, I am out almost $100.00 because I won't do was rep briefly suggested, sell it on line to someone else.  (He did take back that suggestion when I asked why would I sell this case to someone else so they will apparently have phone issues.)  Thanks for wasting my time and money ...at least the last rep sounded sincere in expressing his apology for this process ...the others couldn't have cared less. It is a busy spot but nobody took the time to see if any of the solutions worked, it was on to the next sucker ...I mean customer with an obnoxious 'it's fine now'.  Anyone else have this problem after an expensive waterproof case purchase for the Samsung S4?  If Koodo wanted to help me, they could easily find the transaction number for the case because I have the date and likely time.  I think I was about the last customer that day.  Again, thanks for selling me a defective product that cased lots of frustration and then refusing to do the right thing.  I will be looking elsewhere for a cell provider to transfer my account.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Christene, that sounds horrible! I can't believe they didn't replace it for you or repair it as it's still under warranty. The speaker phone shouldn't have been damaged by the case unless the phone was dropped in water and the case was defective. Have you tried the speakerphone when the phone is out of the case?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Curious what case it was exactly, could you give us the name and possible model and a photo Christine?
It's a Lifeproof Nuud Case (white with clear back) for Samsung S4 ...it apparently negatively impacted speakerphone capability for this cell phone.  ...At least my cell phone ... or this one specific case.  My speakerphone hasn't worked for the entire 3 months I owned this cell phone. And yes, I kept the bottom tab open (where charger enters) as it was claimed the speakerphone wouldn't work with it closed ... which seemingly negated the point of buying this highly recommended, expensive waterproof case from Koodo.  (I heard that on the second visit when SIM card was changed in the phone).  The phone now works with it out of the case ... attempted on FOURTH return to Koodo with problems.  One positive but now I have a useless, very expensive case .....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So the case is muffling the speaker phone which is a given considering it has to be sealed to keep the water out so not sure why the phone was ever sent for repairs or the SIM Card switched if it worked fine out of the case as the case is the issue not the phone and really it's not an issue as opposed to more a dislike in how a waterproof case works. Not sure what the issue is here exactly and what your expecting?
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

So the case is muffling the speaker phone which is a given considering it has to be sealed to kee...

Hello ~ You must work for Koodo Paul because although it took FOUR return trips to Koodo for the case to be identified as the problem preventing the speakerphone from working, you are blaming the customer.  I took the ADVICE of a Koodo rep and bought the expensive Lifeproof case.  NOBODY ever said, if you purchase this case, please note, the speakerphone on the cell won't work.  I returned initially only to be told to come back, because my phone wasn't old enough to examine for possible repair ...I was told to keep the bottom tab open on the case for it (phone) to work ...not the case.  Then, a SIM card was replaced (nobody querying a case problem), followed by the software being re-installed (again, nobody suggesting the case was at fault). I saw FOUR different Koodo sales reps but you Paul think I should know something about a case that they didn't.  It was a guess by the new, fourth employee that discovered the case problem.  So, the question I have is WHY would Koodo sell a case that compromises phone function? ...And, you suggest how dare I, not knowing this, NOT be OK with a case that renders my cell useless ...because I (gasp) want my phone to work!  Except, any reasonable person would assume a case shouldn't impact a cell phone's core functioning. That defeats the purpose of a protective case.  Or, ...perhaps the case is defective as was suggested to me at the Koodo Kiosk.  The other gentleman commenting below, clearly not a Koodo employee noted every time a purchase is made, Koodo asks for a customer's cell phone number.  I agree, that happened every time I went to Koodo.  So, IF Koodo gave a *&$% about helping customers, I suspect I wouldn't have left highly frustrated post 4 attempts to have a problem resolved.  So, Paul, self-proclaimed Mobile Master, as per your last line, as a Koodo customer I expected a cell phone to work and to be sold functional merchandise ...wild!
Userlevel 2
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

So the case is muffling the speaker phone which is a given considering it has to be sealed to kee...

Hi Chris, If your phone is working without case now and don't with it then why not contact the case manufacturer and invoke warranty claim on their website. If phone has issues without it then koodo will have to honour warranty. Koodo manager not talking to a customer is surely a big issue and we hope koodo with deal with it for quality and training purposes.
Userlevel 5
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

So the case is muffling the speaker phone which is a given considering it has to be sealed to kee...

I would suspect that if Koodo didn't give a %$# about customer service there WOULDNT have been 4 attempts, or 3 or 2 or even 1. But you said they tried multiple times. I agree that the last experience wasn't great, but at least they were trying. Its tough determining what the problem is in one shot, especially when cell phones can have a lot of intermittent problems.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

So the case is muffling the speaker phone which is a given considering it has to be sealed to kee...

My version of customer service doesn't include wauting in long line-ups on four separate occasions to have one issue addressed; initially involving sending the customer away because the phone is "too new" to repair ....then making changes without ensuring it worked. Admittedly workers at the Koodo Kiosk in my community are very busy people, but good customer service is not rushed.... it leads to my experience, SEVERAL return visits. The best service I received was when I purchased the phone ...and case. Afterwards ...not so much. I have emailed companies thanking them for great customer service because I don't take it for granted. This dragged out experience was for me a huge waste of time and money. ...absolutely preventable. In the end I was apparently sold a defective product that became my problem, not theirs. It's sad to read customer blaming after an incident of a large company not standing behind their products. In the end, this is about what a company will and won't do to retain customers . The staff are following policy, poor policy.
Userlevel 5
Lots of bells go off on this complaint.


- you hold a piece of material in your hand and tell the customer that it's water proof


- you then say the water proof material, is in fact a water proof, phone protector


- you say, put the phone protector on the phone, to protect the phone from water damage, BUT leave the charging port open, to allow liquid in, so that the speaker can work properly


- you now have a customer, with a phone cover on the phone, with the phone port open, that allows liquid in at a certain rate, but not back out at the same rate, allowing for liquid to pool, between the phone and phone protector


- at this point 2 issues exist.

1. The customer is not an expert in your industry and as such, must trust and relie soley upon your expertise


2. You took the customers implicit trust and betrayed it, as described above.


The other bells that ring as loud is this:

The Customer Service that Christene has described.


- a Koodo store manager that did not want to speak to Christene?


- Koodo Representative, advising that Christene flog a problem product, on line to someone else?


- why does Christene need a receipt? Given that Christene made the purchases at the same location that is handling the issues, that location now wants a reciept?


This question is for Koodo.

EVERY purchase that I have ever made at a Koodo Kiosk and Mobile Shop began with the words, "what is your phone number?"


So why does Christene need a paper reciept?


My advice to you Christene, is that you should lodge a deceptive sales practice against the store that you are dealing with, in your Province.

There is no reason why a loyal Koodo Customer like yourself , should have to endure this behavior, without recourse to date, at no fault of your own.
Userlevel 5
5s wrote:

Lots of bells go off on this complaint.


- you hold a piece of material in your hand and tell t...

Your argument about leaving the bottom plug on the case open to let the speakerphone work is kinda flawed. Most waterproof cases have water tite covers for things like the headphone jack or charging plug. So of course your going to need to undo the cover in order to use those things. Its the exact same with the speaker phone, and I would guess that instructions would say something to that fact although I don't know for sure since ive never owned a waterproof case.
Thanks Steve for your feedback, it's appreciated ...Unlike "Mobile Master" above (obviously a Koodo employee), your advice is reasonable and thoughtful.  Reading it wasn't a waste of my time.  Imagine, I was sold a defective product that four separate Koodo Kiosk employees didn't identify as the problem but the person above blames me for not knowing about this problem and expecting a recommended product to work.  Wow!  I am still wondering if anyone else has a problem with the Lifeproof Nuud case on the Samsung S4 or do I actually have a defective product.  I can't imagine Koodo willingly would sell a product that compromised their product but who knows?
Userlevel 6
Christene Walsh wrote:

Thanks Steve for your feedback, it's appreciated ...Unlike "Mobile Master" above (obviously a Koo...

Hey there! We don't have access to your account here on the community but we definitely would like to discuss further with you regarding the experience that you had.  Can you please send us a detailed email on this secure link: http://koo.do/11eMLdy and select "Social Media" so that we can look into this?  Thank you Christene! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sorry I'm not telling you what you want to hear so your mad but I'm telling it like it is and not sugar coating anything. NO I DO NOT WORK FOR KOODO and if you read many of my other responses on here you will see me bashing Koodo many times for different things. I am a customer just like you that has helped on here for over 3 years and that is all.

If you don't know something you should never take a salesperson word on anything as they are trying to make a sale, what you should do is do some research on your own through google or YouTube and investigate what your looking to purchase. I know you aren't going to like my response again but it's logical thinking and what I apply myself when purchasing anything even mobile accessories which I know alot about.
Userlevel 6
Hi Christine,

I am so sorry you experienced this in store. One thing I can suggest is to get a replacement through the Lifeproof website. I have done this myself and they replaced my Lifeproof case without any issues and I got my replacement Lifeproof case within a week. They did not charge me any $$$ but they will ask you to take a picture of your lifeproof case, please make sure you do not peel off the serial number inside the Lifeproof.

I hope this works.

Reply