Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Wants to dump iPhone.

Samsung Galaxy? Right now I have an iPhone 5 which I want to gor for a ride ASAP. Useless piece of crap. However, I need some techie advise. I also have an Apple TV which is great way to stream YT vids from my phone to TV wirelessly. Is there any tech out there that will do the same thing with a Galaxy or similar. Also, looking for a 64 GB replacement.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you want to stream YouTube videos or anything from your phone The Galaxy S3 has the ability to be hooked to Your TV through the HDMI port on the TV and all you need is to buy an accessory called a MHL Connector that turns the Micro USB charging port on the phone into a full sized HDMI port. Then you just connect them with a HDMI cable. You can also buy a device from Samsung that plugs into the TV and a little box sits by your TV and then it does it wirelessly. If you have a newer Samsung TV you can even connect the 2 through software built into the phone and TV, it can also be done with any internet ready TV or DVD Player.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

If you want to stream YouTube videos or anything from your phone The Galaxy S3 has the ability to...

oops didn't realize you wanted to send it to the apple TV I thought you just want to know if there was some hang like apple TV you could stream from a Galaxy to your TV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello John. Sorry to hear that you don't like it. Unforutnately, the Apple environement is pretty closed so I don't know if you'll find a phone or an app for that. I don't think they like the idea that Android devices could use their streaming platform. You could give a try on this forum : http://www.ifans.com/forums/
Userlevel 5
Yup Apple's closed platform means you will need something to wirelessly send the videos to the Apple TV. But being as the Apple TV has a Youtube app you could always add videos to a playlist on whatever phone you're using and then play the playlist on the Apple TV. Curiosity though, what don't you like about the iPhone 5 that makes you want to try a galaxy?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Actually here's an app available in the Google Play Store to do exactly what you want to do I think https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zappotvapple Hope that helps
Userlevel 2
Allow me to break this down for you. First, if you want to keep your apple TV and switch phones to a non apple device, BUT retain the same level of convenience you currently have, you need to Jailbreak your Apple TV. Then, you can install XBMC, any other UPnP / DLNA server/client you desire. Once you have that, you can pretty much use any smartphone that supports media sharing (I know BB has this build in, I would assume Android would as well, but you potentially may need an app). Then you can stream wirelessly to your TV (and vice versa, if you choose), to your hearts content.
Userlevel 5
mattjs wrote:

Allow me to break this down for you. First, if you want to keep your apple TV and switch phones ...

Good point I completely forgot about jailbreaking the Apple TV.