Koodo Community

Community

Solved

want to root my phone

my phone is slow is there any advantages . if there is what are they to the phone . and what software do you recomed to do it with.

14 replies

Userlevel 6
I recommend checking out the XDA Forum
Userlevel 1
I'd rather buy a new phone.
Userlevel 7
samsvoc wrote:

I'd rather buy a new phone.

rooting a phone unlocks all kinds of possibilities and broadens the user experience. you can extend the value of your phone vastly. the value to you anyway
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What phone are you using?
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

What phone are you using?

if I'm not mistaken, he has a Samsung galaxy ace
Badge +4
The advantages of rooting: better battery life, removal of carrier/manufacturer bloatware, CPU overclocking, ability to flash custom ROM's, manipulate pixel density and have access to a wealth of applications that require root access. XDA developers is an excellent place to start http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961858 Purchase a larger microSD card, class 6, 16 GB or better, this way you can move photos, music, apps and games away from the Ace's 4 GB internal storage area. Once rooted, the app Link2SD allows you to move some system and most user apps to your SD card, freeing up more space internally and making your Ace run a little bit faster and smoother.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As usual, my recommendation for a second lease on life is using a MIUI ROM after rooting. Simply rooting the phone does nothing for the performance without tweaking the OS yourself, or using a developer's ROM. I jailbroke my iPhone 5 and only saw improvements after I installed a bunch of tweaks.
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

As usual, my recommendation for a second lease on life is using a MIUI ROM after rooting. Simply ...

Agreed, regarding rooting alone. For stability and plenty of support I recommend CyanogenMod for beginners. Apart from that, I'm using Liquid ROM on my Galaxy S2x at the moment and so far so good no major complaints.
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

As usual, my recommendation for a second lease on life is using a MIUI ROM after rooting. Simply ...

any minor complaints? do far so good for me on liquid
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Running LiquidSmooth RC 9 Some widgets didn't display correctly and I've had some problems with spaces or gaps when playing music, did a reinstall and clean wipe yesterday and everything appears to be functioning correctly now. Which gapps did you use? I'm using 4.2.1
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

gapps jb 201207 23 then I updated once I was online
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Never liked CM, but to each their own.
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

True, just seemed like the MIUI ROM for my particular device didn't seem all that stable, that's not to say I wont try it again on other devices.
if your device is supported, superoneclick will usually do the job of rooting your phone. If you're willing to go the extra step to flash a custom ROM, i would recommend CyanogenMod if your device is officially supported.