Koodo Community

Community

Visual Voice Mail for Android

There are many Visual Voicemail apps for android provided by other carriers, including Fido and Rogers. There's also a generic app (YouMail Visual Voicemail). Please provide this service to Koodo Android customers!!!

13 replies

Userlevel 6
This has been asked for a lot before ... hopefully it happens but they've announced nothing in a while.
John Burke wrote:

This has been asked for a lot before ... hopefully it happens but they've announced nothing in a ...

Allow myself, Used my mobile phone number rooms Blanch
John Burke wrote:

This has been asked for a lot before ... hopefully it happens but they've announced nothing in a ...

John Burke wrote:

Just noticed that the stock Android dialer (on a Google Pixel with 8.0) has a Visual Voicemail area and it tries to activate. Got super excited. Hope it comes now that it's built into Android..
Userlevel 2
+1, Blackberry customers would like this as well. Not sure why Koodo is picking and choosing which OS it's going to provide functionality and services to. It should be across the board imo. Other carriers seem to get this..
Userlevel 3
mattjs wrote:

+1, Blackberry customers would like this as well. Not sure why Koodo is picking and choosing whi...

would be an appreciated functionality for WP as well
Userlevel 5
mattjs wrote:

+1, Blackberry customers would like this as well. Not sure why Koodo is picking and choosing whi...

mattjs, not saying it's not possible to provide on the other oses, but in the case of iPhone it is something that is pre-bulit into the OS (and is included for Free I believe from most carriers in the iPhone plan). It is enabled from the carrier settings which is a small download. Similar to how the US carriers block tethering from iphones that don't have the right plan, carriers can block visual voicemail from clients who don't have the right plan/pay extra for it. It's really nothing for Koodo to offer it as it's just right there in the OS, apple does a lot of the leg work. I could be wrong on this part but since that functionality is not baked into the other oses, it requires that much more work from the carriers and is likely why you don't see many carriers offering more than VM to text for the other devices.
Userlevel 2
mattjs wrote:

Blackberry & WP bake in visual voicemail as well though, it's not something that's exclusive to Apple. I'm not sure why Android chooses not to offer it as a standard core function, but I guess that has to do more with their philosophy of being 'open' and leaving it up to developers then anything else. Again, it's a service that Rogers/Telus/Bell all offer for Apple iPhones, as well as Blackberry and Windows phones, which is why I find it bothersome that Koodo has decided to pick and choose which OS they're going to offer similar services to.
Userlevel 5
mattjs wrote:

Awesome to know Matt, I love the feature so it's good to know the functionality exists elsewhere (if the carriers support it). I wasn't even aware the other carriers offered it for BB/WM (I can't seem to find anything about Telus offering it as of this moment which is probably why Koodo doesn't).
Userlevel 6
mattjs wrote:

It is baked into Google Voice ... it's just that the Google Voice App itself isn't available currently outside of the US (unless rooted). It can also automatically send your Voicemails to your EMail. Hopefully they allow it to be used in Canada (outside of Apps that just let you sign in & use its calling/TXT'ing features like Talkatone & GrooVe IP) at some point.
Userlevel 2
mattjs wrote:

Android M added native visual voicemail in the dialer app. All Koodo has to do is enable it but they haven't. GET ON IT KOODO!
mattjs wrote:

Koodo is sooooo slow on this! Cannon Koodo, make it happened. We are in 21 St century already! It is sooo lame to have to listen to "you have one new massage!..." Agrrrr....
Userlevel 2
mattjs wrote:

Its because they are the discount brand. Telus rolls everything out to themselves first and Koodo follows years later. Case in point, wifi calling, VoLTE. Even Telus doesn't support native android VVM yet so don't hold your breath.