Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Vibration not working on Moto G?

Userlevel 1
My Moto G stopped vibrating this morning when I woke up. The previous night the vibration was working perfectly fine. It vibrated very weakly 3 times after it stopped working, then it vibrated again several hours later. I restarted my phone 4 times, and even formatted it, yet nothing is helping. Any advice?

24 replies

Userlevel 1
Not only that, it is constantly restarting. I have not dropped it so I haven't the slightest clue as to what is causing this.
Userlevel 6
Did you get the update from a couple weeks ago? If so, you should be on Build number "KXB20.9-1.10-1.30" Settings--> About phone--> Build number I have no vibration problems with mine.
Userlevel 1
John Burke wrote:

Did you get the update from a couple weeks ago? If so, you should be on Build number "KXB20.9-1....

Yes I have.
Userlevel 6
John Burke wrote:

Did you get the update from a couple weeks ago? If so, you should be on Build number "KXB20.9-1....

Is it ROOT'ed? Using a custom ROM? If neither,have you tried Safe Mode? Long-press "Power Off" after you'd held the Power button. It might be being caused by an App & Safe Mode could help you figure out which it is.
Userlevel 1
John Burke wrote:

It's not rooted nor am I running a custom ROM. I will enable safe mode, thank you John.
Userlevel 1
John Burke wrote:

Vibration came back for about 2 seconds, then my phone shut off again.
Userlevel 6
John Burke wrote:

I had that problem with another device & the cause was the custom kernel I was using. Since you're not ROOT'ed, it's not a custom kernel causing the problem. Did you install any Apps recently from outside of the Google Play Store? Or even from within the Play Store, any malicious Apps or content from small/unknown Devs? Do you...um...visit adult websites on your phone or download torrents? Do you have any SMS in your Inbox that haven't sent properly/failed/pending? Did you try resetting the APN? If none of the above helps... I rarely if ever recommend it, however, it seems like you have little choices left other than a Factory Reset. Before doing that though, you might want to uninstall everything from within Settings--> Apps--> "Downloaded" section. It's slower than a full Factory Reset, but it would prevent you from losing your Pics/TXT's/Call Logs & whatever other personal data that's on your phone unless you've backed it up. I hate suggesting that, really I hate it, but in your situation there seems to be little else to suggest if you've exhausted everything else I've mentioned, sorry.
Userlevel 1
John Burke wrote:

I did download 3 apps not from the play store. I deleted all 3, yet nothing was helping. I formated my phone yesterday, vibration is still not working and I'm still experiencing random shut downs.
John Burke wrote:

That's because moto g vibrator is somewhat poorly built it seems. So when there is a lot of shaking, the phone vibrator stops working. It's not working even for me. 😞
John Burke wrote:

the same is happening with my phone..if i shake it a little , the vibration starts but then stops again.!! some build issue with moto g
Userlevel 1
John Burke wrote:

My vibration is working again now. It comes and goes though.
John Burke wrote:

same here, moto G vibration motor is quite a cheap hardware. mine stopped working and I don't have warranty, took it to the repair shop the motor is very close to the camera so there's a risk to use heat gun. everyone is suggesting me to use it this way without vibration.
John Burke wrote:

Mine stopped today. Everything else works fine. But it stopped vibrating. If I shake the phone slightly it will vibrate again but it won't last long. Warranty left for my phone. What do you suggest?
John Burke wrote:

face warranty, its a hardware problem. cheap vibration motor used by motorola.
John Burke wrote:

same problems!! help us out as i dont want to give my phone to just identify the problem for 2 days. please let me know the problem is lie in Hardware or software.
Userlevel 7
Sounds like a dud. At this point if you are still within 15 days you can straight up exchange it for another phone at the place you bought it from. If you're beyond 15 days but within 30 days then you can do a DOA exchange, this will involve the rep calling channel support. If you're past 30 days but under 1 year (phone hasn't even been out 6 months so you're safe) then you can send your phone out for servicing at a Koodo shop and you can pick up a free loaner phone too. Keep in mind this will factory reset your phone so please save/backup anything important on your device first.
Jonathan I wrote:

Sounds like a dud. At this point if you are still within 15 days you can straight up exchange ...

Whatever you've mentioned here, is it applicable even if the phone is rooted?
Jonathan I wrote:

Sounds like a dud. At this point if you are still within 15 days you can straight up exchange ...

Rooted phone = void the warranty
Userlevel 1
It's been over 30 days since I bought my phone, so I'll be bringing it in to a Koodo shop tomorrow. Thank you for the help.
That's because moto g vibrator is somewhat poorly built it seems. So when there is a lot of shaking, the phone vibrator stops working. It's not working even for me. 😞
I shook my phone and vibrator has started working again . . i am within the 30 days (past 15 days) . . should i go for a replacement ??
Userlevel 7
Yes, get it replaced as DOA. I had the same thing happen to my Moto G except it was over 2 months since I got it but it was fixed for free. 🙂
what is DOA?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mudit Gadia wrote:

what is DOA?

DoA is an acronym for "dead on arrival."