Koodo Community
Solved

USB TETHERING IS GREYED OUT

My Galaxy A70 usb tethering option isn't allowing use. It's greyed out when I connect another device to it, and will not allow me to select this option.  Tried Samsung Electronics support now I'm trying Koodo. Any suggestions??

icon

Best answer by rikkster 3 June 2020, 07:51

Similar to what David mentioned, Samsung hides the USB configuration option within Developer Options. To enable Developer Options, select Settings > About phone > Software information. Look for and tap ‘Build number’ seven times to unlock the hidden Developer options menu. When you back out to the main Settings menu, Developer options should appear at the bottom of the list.

Select Developer options and either search for ‘USB Configuration’ or scroll down to locate it. Tap USB Configuration, a list is displayed offering various types of USB connections:

• Charge this phone
  • MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)
  • PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol)
  • RNDIS (USB Ethernet)
  • Audio source
  • MIDI

Samsung - Developer Options Menu

USB debugging is also available in the Developer options menu. When enabled, it can sometimes help with problematic USB connections. This information was obtained from my ancient Samsung Galaxy S7, but the menus should be similar to the Galaxy A70.

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you tethering for internet use or file transfer?

It's to connect a projector. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Im not sure a project would be compatible for this.

Usually the connection is for a computer

I'll give more detail sorry. We purchased a projector that is able to connect to phones, PS4 and PC's. We used a USB C to HDMI Adapter 4K 30Hz cable. That is what the projector manufacturer suggested. We watched tutorials were this indeed worked. However my phone for some idiotic reason will not allow usb tethering. It needs this to cast/mirrorthe screen. Hope this helps clarify my question. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'll give more detail sorry. We purchased a projector that is able to connect to phones, PS4 and PC's. We used a USB C to HDMI Adapter 4K 30Hz cable. That is what the projector manufacturer suggested. We watched tutorials were this indeed worked. However my phone for some idiotic reason will not allow usb tethering. It needs this to cast/mirrorthe screen. Hope this helps clarify my question. 

I recommend reaching out to the manufacturer of the projector. It might need a special app or driver to the 2 to recognize each other 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I recall Android has a setting to ‘release’ the USB port for specific uses. This was an experience I had with a Moto Z some years ago:

”Connect the Moto Z to a computer using the data cable.

Swipe down from the top of the screen, and among the notifications appears the option to manage the USB port. It is likely set to charging. In the screen shot on the left, it indicates the current status is 'USB charging this device. Tap for more options.'

Tap on the notification to proceed to the next screen.
Choose the USB option you need to use.”

Badge +4

Similar to what David mentioned, Samsung hides the USB configuration option within Developer Options. To enable Developer Options, select Settings > About phone > Software information. Look for and tap ‘Build number’ seven times to unlock the hidden Developer options menu. When you back out to the main Settings menu, Developer options should appear at the bottom of the list.

Select Developer options and either search for ‘USB Configuration’ or scroll down to locate it. Tap USB Configuration, a list is displayed offering various types of USB connections:

• Charge this phone
  • MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)
  • PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol)
  • RNDIS (USB Ethernet)
  • Audio source
  • MIDI

Samsung - Developer Options Menu

USB debugging is also available in the Developer options menu. When enabled, it can sometimes help with problematic USB connections. This information was obtained from my ancient Samsung Galaxy S7, but the menus should be similar to the Galaxy A70.