Koodo Community
Solved

Usage details

• 5 November 2018
  • 7 replies

My Messaging Usage says there have been 57 texts this cycle. The details only show 34.
What would cause the discrepancy? Why aren't ALL texts showing up?
icon

Best answer by David AKU 5 November 2018, 16:35

If a text is longer than 140 characters, your phone records it as one text, but the system as 2 or more. The sending phone disassembles them into 140 character chunks, and sends them; the receiving phone reassembles them into a readable message.

This is the likely reason for the discrepancy.

There are also Apps which send texts in the background which do not show in the text app. Android dialler is one culprit.
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It could just be a system glitch. Is there a need to know the exact number when you have unlimited texting?
It's not the total that is the issue. It is the mobile numbers involved in the texts. I monitor who my 13 year old talks to for safety reasons. Yes, she is aware. It is an ongoing issue. Not a glitch.
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hmm...sounds like a technical issue then. You could send a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter to open a support ticket to look into it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If a text is longer than 140 characters, your phone records it as one text, but the system as 2 or more. The sending phone disassembles them into 140 character chunks, and sends them; the receiving phone reassembles them into a readable message.

This is the likely reason for the discrepancy.

There are also Apps which send texts in the background which do not show in the text app. Android dialler is one culprit.
Badge +4
It's what's showing in their self serve account. When logged in they click on usage. Messaging shows 57 texts. They then click on view details and it shows 34 texts. Both numbers should be the same.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@caper74 is the phone one of these?
  • any model of iPhone
  • any model of Google Pixel
  • any model of Nexus
  • Essential PH-1
If so, it may be sending texts behind the scenes. iPhones send messages to iCloud sometimes, and phones using Google's dialer app (most Android phones supply their own dialer/phone app rather than using Google's, but the ones in the list above and may some others use Google's) will send texts to try to confirm visual voicemail presence. It will do this every time the phone is rebooted, unless you revoke the SMS privilege from the dialer app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@caper74 is the phone one of these?
  • any model of iPhone
  • any model of Google Pixel
  • any model of Nexus
  • Essential PH-1
If so, it may be sending texts behind the scenes. iPhones send messages to iCloud sometimes, and phones using Google's dialer app (most Android phones supply their own dialer/phone app rather than using Google's, but the ones in the list above and may some others use Google's) will send texts to try to confirm visual voicemail presence. It will do this every time the phone is rebooted, unless you revoke the SMS privilege from the dialer app.

There might be more devices should be on the list, I noticed the LG G7 also did it. It sent several texts to 7723 when I put a SIM in.