Koodo Community

Community

US Data Booster Not Working in Maui

Hi, I have a US data booster on my Nexus 5 and arrived in Maui last night.  I switched on data roaming as well as manually selected AT&T (and have also tried to have it connect to T-Mobile which seems to have a stronger connection) but neither AT&T or T-Mobile seem to work in regards to getting me mobile data. I can make US calls so voice roaming is working, but data is not.  It is also a bit weird that in order to choose a manual cell provider, I need to turn off cell phone data and roaming to get the list of selectable carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile etc.).  If I have cell data and roaming turned on, then when I go to list carriers it just keeps me on whichever carrier I manually selected previously and won't provide me the list to choose from.  Help?

12 replies

I should also add that upon immediately recycling settings on the phone, sometimes I seem to get data for about 10-15 seconds and then it immediately drops and I can't get data anymore.  The phone says I am connected to T-Mobile/AT&T with an R and some level of bars (more bars on T-Mobile) but data just isn't flowing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Arlo wrote:

I should also add that upon immediately recycling settings on the phone, sometimes I seem to get ...

Pre-paid or post-paid account?
Arlo wrote:

I should also add that upon immediately recycling settings on the phone, sometimes I seem to get ...

Hi David, pre-paid using the new(ish) US data booster option.  When I log in to my account is shows mild usage of my US Data Booster 22.031 of 1000 MB, which correlates to the phone letting me use data for a few seconds after a cycle and then locking me out again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Arlo wrote:

Sounding ever more like it is the phone, not the service. You have addressed all the issues I am familiar with regarding use in the USA including Hawaii.

Arlo wrote:

Never had problems with the phone before and constantly use it in other countries with other SIMs, first time trying this with a prepaid booster.  Sounds like I am not being authorized on the carrier side to continue to use data, because voice is working fine.  I've emailed Koodo in hopes that they can look into things on their end.  
Arlo wrote:

Does anyone with account authority (can look at my cell phone number/account) actually look/respond to this board?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Arlo wrote:

Send them a private message on their Facebook page. Those responders have access to your account details.

It's odd that your phone indicates AT&T and T-Mobile simultaneously. Worth a try to use these settings: Mobile data checked, Data Roaming checked, Netwrk mode GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto, APN as default vanilla Koodo (see below), Available networks: select automatically.

Arlo wrote:

Hi Bob, I'll try connecting with them via Facebook.  I tried email but that said 24-48 hours for a response.  To be clear I'm not connecting to AT&T and T-Mobile at the same time.  I can pick one or the other manually and they both work fine for voice roaming, but not for data.  I already have the APN settings as listed above and just did a cache wipe on my phone as an additional troubleshooting step to be sure.  Still unable to use data despite having the "R" and a connection to T-Mobile.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Arlo wrote:

AT&T might have weaker signal, but they may be a better match for the frequencies Koodo expects to see for data. If you check willmyphonework.net, T-mobile data frequency compatibility for Nexus 5 LTE is only [b]partial, AT&T is [b]gold.

Arlo wrote:

Yeah I've switched over to AT&T and can barely load simplepages like redflagdeals and then it pauses at 70% or so of a page load when graphics want to come in.  Twitter and Google Maps don't even load.  Up to an amazing U.S. Roaming Data Booster 500 MB 26.143  /  1000 MB of usage capable so far.  Terrible service on Koodo's part to not have this worked out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Arlo wrote:

I'm guessing any AT&T customer sitting next to you will get the same results. 
Not all carriers are able / prepared to provide sufficiently real-time reporting to allow a pre-paid roaming package to work. AT&T was, which allowed Koodo to offer roaming. Six months ago you would have needed a post paid plan to roam. It is not a perfect system, but it is far better than it was.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Arlo wrote:

Not Koodo's fault really. Neither AT&T nor T-Mobile have company-owned towers in Maui, and reception is rather shoddy all-round.

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?city=maui&state_abr=hi