Koodo Community

Community

US charges when I didn't ask to have roaming while in the US and only logged on when there was wifi

Hi,
I just looked at my phone bill for the month of November and am very confused about charges on this bill. I got an additional charge of $10 for 
Msg texte itinérance - Envoyé 5,00 $ Utilisation totale 2 (Msg)
Itinérance 1X É.-U. - Données 5,00 $ Utilisation totale 0.001 (MB)
Is it possible to have more information on dates and numbers because I don't remember doing so.
At that time I was either attending a conference in the US or on my way to Ecuador and did not purchase a roaming package. My phone always gave me a lost data message and I always signed on via Wifi at the airport (when it worked) or hotel because I couldn't do so on my phone.

Thanks

Joanna

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The data use has been discussed before. It appears to be a handshake issue with the US carrier as you turned on your phone. Others have requested it be removed from their bill.

Your text messages should be logged in your PDF invoice, which you can download from Self-serve, and review. They may also be on your phone still. The bill suggests you sent 2 messages ( or one long one) while in the US. Is it possible these were composed in Canada, but not sent until you turned off Airplane mode in the US? Incoming texts are free.
David wrote:

The data use has been discussed before. It appears to be a handshake issue with the US carrier as...

Thanks David!
I used to be with Public before and NEVER had these issues with texts or data if I didn't add and add-on. I used to get a message welcoming me to the US and if I didn't respond with yes or no I would not be able to receive data or phone calls so I don't understand why this is the case here....
How would I go about requesting that handshake issue be removed?
I just looked at my PDF invoice and can't see any other information on my message apart from what I posted on this thread. Is that normal?
I don't remember sending a text before I boarded the plane (which was really early in the morning) and if I did it would have been minimal (3-4 words). I also didn't use phone in the air and when I landed I only used wifi.
I am having my doubts about koodoo and these fees that pop up.
Best,
Joanna
Userlevel 4
David wrote:

The data use has been discussed before. It appears to be a handshake issue with the US carrier as...

@Joanna

You have to remember that PM is fully prepaid and Koodo is post-paid. It means that PM has to monitor if your activities would incur extra charges that you are obviously not obliged to pay. Basically their system is designed to guard itself. Koodo users on the other hand are fully responsible for educating themselves about potential unwanted charges. Some users use post-paid plans because they want some kind of flexibility to use their phones whenever they want even if it means extra charges.
Userlevel 4
David wrote:

Hi Joanna,

I might add that I came from PM, as well. I never had to worry about extra charges, hand shakes, overages, scammers and on and on. I didn't care whether my phone when I was close to the US border decided to choose American Tower. Somehow PM had to figure it out for themselves.

On Koodo I have always had this dreaded moments at the end of my billing cycle if there is anything that I didn't learn about or have known that may cause my extra charges.

I admit that nothing like that happened to me so far. But when you active on forum like me you also unintentionally feed your mind with stories about users complaining about extra charges that have never supposed to happen.
David wrote:

Hi David,
Thank you for the information. Any thoughts to the questions I sent you back:
1) How to get refunded from this handshake fee?
2) I cannot see any text message on my bill any idea on how to find it?

THanks

Joanna
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

1) You wil have to contact Koodo directly about the billing question.

2) SMS are not reflected on your invoice.