Koodo Community

Community

Question

US Add-on Data

I tried to get a US add-on when I was there last week. The data would not come up even though I chose 3ALL. How can I get re-imbursed?
LG phone, New Brunswick customer, monthly plan, travelling in Maine

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Jayne,

If you used minutes and texts, I'm afraid you can not get reimbursed. In order for the data to work when travelling, you need to activate data roaming in your phone. This feature is diables by default in order to save you money while travelling.
Userlevel 7
Data roaming is disabled on your phone by default but you can easily switch it back on through your settings menus Koodo doesn't guarantee service while roaming. They can't because they don't own the networks you'll be roaming on. And Maine can be hit or miss in certain areas, with some areas only serviced by regional carriers.
If that was the case 3ALL shouldn't have been an option. It costs $10 more when you want data included.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jayne Bettle wrote:

If that was the case 3ALL shouldn't have been an option. It costs $10 more when you want data inc...

Koodo doesn't know where you are travelling so they can't "make it an option or not". As well, in the nitty gritty it states that service may not be available.

1. Includes international text messages while travelling within the U.S. Availability of service to international destinations will vary by country and is subject to change without notice

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
All the plan does is offer a discount. It does not affect your phone's ability to roam at pay-per-use rates.
I got  message saying something to the effect that data had to be on when I left my home region. Not sure exactly what it was. This would suggest that there was a setting that had to be changed BEFORE I left NB. Is that a fact? If so, and it was obvious that I didn't use data. I should only be charged $20 not $30.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jayne Bettle wrote:

I got  message saying something to the effect that data had to be on when I left my home reg...

Any data blocks would have to be removed (if applicable) and data would have to be turned on on your phone. Other than that you should have been fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jayne Bettle wrote:

I got  message saying something to the effect that data had to be on when I left my home reg...

I didn't use all the free km on my rental car. Do I drive in circles around the parking lot at the airport to use them up?
Userlevel 6
Jayne Bettle wrote:

That's usually what I do
Jayne Bettle wrote:

Not necessarily. But at least you had that option.
If you paid for a car that had a larger capacity for luggage (with free kms of course) and they didn't give you the key to get in the trunk, you might be upset too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jayne Bettle wrote:

Koodo did not prevent you using data. If you chose to put your bags in the back seat because you couldn't find the trunk release, that is not the rental agency's fault.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jayne Bettle wrote:

You said you recieved a message telling you something had to be changed. So by the sounds of it Koodo "gave you the key to the trunk".
if it had been my choice I would agree with you.
It was blocked. Because I had left my home network before I put the add-on on.
Userlevel 7
I have to enter data roaming like this on my iPhone...there is a similar switch in android