Koodo Community
Solved

Upgrade/trade-in phone

• 21 February 2019
  • 15 replies

I'm wondering if it is possible to upgrade my galaxy s9 to the new galaxy s10 even if I am not finished paying my s9. I bought it at Walmart only 2 months ago and have a 2 years subscription plan. Do I have to wait until the phone is mine to upgrade without paying more?
icon

Best answer by Mats 21 February 2019, 15:58

You're better off selling your S9 privately as you'll get more money than using Koodo trade in program. Here is how it works with Koodo.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/koodo-trade-program
View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi,
You need to pay off the Tab balance (by yourself in your selfservice) before you could buy the S10 on the same plan (upgrade).

Normally the restriction is 90days from the date of the purchase of the S9. If you want to pay it earlier (now), you have to contact Koodo directly and ask if they can make an exception in your case. I would suggest you send message to their facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Koodo) to contact with a rep there.
Thanks for your response,
So what you are saying is I need to pay the whole phone before I can upgrade to the s10.
When you say tab balance you mean the phone balance right? And I saw on Samsung's website than you can turn in your old phone to remove up to 500$ off the galaxy s10. Would this type of deal be available with koodo?
Badge +4
Yes, you have to pay off your phone balance(tab) before you can buy another phone through Koodo.

Pretty sure Samsung trade in program is only for if you buy the phone from Samsung and would not apply if you get the phone from Koodo. Have a look at the details where you saw the offer on Samsung website.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@LoganP, the $550 trade in is only for the US. In Canada it's up to $200. And yes, that's only for purchases made through the Samsung website.
Koodo does have a trade in program but youd likely only net $300 from it, (using the BB trade in calculator as an estimate)
Thanks for all your answers,
I'm kinda frustrated because koodo also offers free wireless charging pad and galaxy buds for preorders on the s10, and giving that I bought the s9 2 months ago I can't. I should have probably waited for the s10 to come out. 😞
Badge +4
You're better off selling your S9 privately as you'll get more money than using Koodo trade in program. Here is how it works with Koodo.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/koodo-trade-program
Ok thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks for all your answers,
I'm kinda frustrated because koodo also offers free wireless charging pad and galaxy buds for preorders on the s10, and giving that I bought the s9 2 months ago I can't. I should have probably waited for the s10 to come out. :(

Galaxy Buds for the S10 and S10+, Wireless charger for the S10e. Not both. Still nothing to complain about free stuff.
I was wondering though if it was possible to turn in my phone at Walmart.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I was wondering though if it was possible to turn in my phone at Walmart.
You'd have to go into that location and ask. Best bet would be to call ahead. But again, you're gonna get so much more, likely double, the money if you sell on somewhere like kijiji.

I was wondering though if it was possible to turn in my phone at Walmart.You'd have to go into that location and ask. Best bet would be to call ahead. But again, you're gonna get so much more, likely double, the money if you sell on somewhere like kijiji.

Im not talking about selling it at Walmart, I'm talking about returning it and cancel my plan, thus I won't have to pay for it anymore and I'll be able to buy the s10.
Badge +4
Im not talking about selling it at Walmart, I'm talking about returning it and cancel my plan, thus I won't have to pay for it anymore.
You've had the phone for over 2 months and now just because you want something else you figure you can return it and not have to pay anymore? What would they do with your 2 1/2 month old used phone? You had 15 days to do that when you 1st bought it.
My phone is in perfect condition and it's been less than 2 months. I just rounded the number. I heard from a friend I could return it to Walmart.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Your friend was wrong.
"Within 15 days:
Contract post-paid phones. Subject to applicable legislation. Conditions may vary by carrier. See plan terms and conditions."
https://www.walmart.ca/en/help/returns
Badge +4
My phone is in perfect condition and it's been less than 2 months. I just rounded the number. I heard from a friend I could return it to Walmart.
Perfect condition to you but not to someone else. If it's in perfect condition then just keep it or sell it.