Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Upgrade to a Galaxy SIII?

HI there, Over the last couple days, I've have been thinking about upgrading to a Galaxy SIII after reading about the medium and large tab options. I have a $30 plan, so I gather I'm eligible for the medium tab. I have a Galaxy S2x, and I haven't had it that long, so main concern is if it is even worth it? I'm not sure how much it will end up costing. I can use 26 of my tab, plus I would upgrade to a medium tab, but I'm still not sure. Any help with the pricing, or advice on whether to even buy it would be much appreciated!

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do you mean you have positive $26 tab? If so... Retail Price of S3 is $400 You pay $74 ($400-$300-$26) at the store, your tab will be set to negative - $300 There will be $5/month tab charge.
Mayumi wrote:

Do you mean you have positive $26 tab? If so... Retail Price of S3 is $400 You pay $74 ($40...

Ya, it was positive $26 sorry. That's what I figured it would be, plus the $5/month extra.
Userlevel 7
Well considering it just dropped in price, it's a toss up. After 4.1 was released for the device, the S II X is kind of a watered down S III. The S III is better in most categories from a hardware standpoint (big 4.8" HD display, bigger battery, better camera, double the RAM, faster processor, etc.) and it has a few motion gestures up its sleeve, but the S II X is running 4.1 and is still a capable performer on its own. Keep in mind, however, that Samsung announced it will be releasing 4.3 for the S III in Canada in the near future but I think the S II X has reached the end of its life cycle.
Jonathan I wrote:

Well considering it just dropped in price, it's a toss up. After 4.1 was released for the device,...

Thanks for the reply!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you just purchased the S2x, then I think the cost to buy the S3 is hard to justify unless someone is willing to buy your S2X so you can recoup some of your costs. The S2x is perfectly fine and is only 1 generation behind the S3. Is there a reason you are looking to upgrade?
Dennis wrote:

If you just purchased the S2x, then I think the cost to buy the S3 is hard to justify unless some...

Like Jonathan mentioned, I had read it was near the end up being updated. Plus, I've had some problems with it in the 10 months I've had it. But nothing that's making it unusable. But I gather that it may not be worth it right now since I haven't had the S2X long.
Userlevel 7
Well you're at +26... that's actually pretty good. You can get an S III for under $100 in store on a Medium Tab.
Jonathan I wrote:

Well you're at +26... that's actually pretty good. You can get an S III for under $100 in store o...

Ya, that's where I'm stuck. Under $100 for the SIII is a great deal.
Userlevel 1
I don't personally believe the upgrade from the S2x to the S3 is enough to throw your tab credits away in all honesty. It's better, but not by that much. Upgrade to an even better device, perhaps an S4, or, if that's too much for you, wait until the Nexus 5 comes out and see if it comes to Koodo (I think it will, and will be very reasonably priced).