Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Upgrade my phone and koodo wants to take away my tab. Breach of contract on their part, whatgives

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you on an old tab system ? Tabs are not fully grandfathered. Once you want to upgrade you will need to agree to the new tab. You get to keep whatever positive tab balance you have at this point. If highly doubt it's an actual breach of your agreement. Do you have where it says such as thing would be that you signed for your current tab? The legalese is usually pretty well fleshed out to not be in breach. Even Before the current tab system you had to buy out your tab and get a full new one and I would say through that you can get put on whatever current market system is in place without any breach.
Goran wrote:

Are you on an old tab system ? Tabs are not fully grandfathered. Once you want to upgrade you wil...

This is b.s. from koodo.and I am a koodo fan. I want to use my tab for what it is there for....a new phone. I don't want to change or update my plan. The tab was a selling point when I signed on. And pretty damn sure they have no choice but to honor an ongoing agreement. Koodo, stop being a cheap ass bully.
Goran wrote:

Are you on an old tab system ? Tabs are not fully grandfathered. Once you want to upgrade you wil...

And yes rocking the old tab system
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

What do you mean "take away your tab"?
If you have a positive tab, then you can use it towards a new phone.

Tab is like an interest free loan in the old and new system.
With old tab system : Koodo helped/contributed to pay down your tab.
With new system : There is no Koodo's contribution. The Tab is paid by customer 100%.

You don't need to change your plan to upgrade your phone unless you want to use the Tab Plus. (We don't recommend to use Tab Plus in the most cases.)
Goran wrote:

They want to drop the old tab system for the new one....so I would never have a positive tab....or if I had the 10% off option instead of the tab they would stop that. This feel has nothing to do with upgrading the phone. They want to screw with the fine print of my plan just because I want to upgrade my phone.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

No bully here Rick! 🙂 You can keep your positive tab and put it towards a new phone. Plus, you can keep your existing plan as well. At 6 gigs I wouldn't want to give that up either. Where did you get the info that we would play nice?  
Goran wrote:

I just see no reason to have to give up the building up a positive tab. Like I said I feel that is part of the on going agreement. But i can't even order the new phone unless I agree to the new tab terms. That just does not sit well with me . if I was changing my plan then I would have to accept the new terms. Kinda feel like I am being penalized for using my tab the way it was set up for....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I see what you mean now....yes, by upgrading using your positive tab you essentially change to our "new" tab system and that one no longer has the positive accumulation. That said for the last couple of months you haven't been accumulating any as you are maxed out as is. You are not planning changing your plan though, right? You have a wicked plan that I wouldn't suggest you give up. 
Userlevel 6
Goran wrote:

Hey Rick,

With Koodo, you get to keep your plan, customers of the "other guys" who have the same 6 gig plan as yours will have to change their plan if they upgrade their phone. You don't. So in a sense, you still save $$ by keeping your plan.
Goran wrote:

Yes I know I keep my plan...but with my current agreement I would update my phone and in three years ....two years to pay off the tab and one year to max out a positive tab.....I would have a positive tab to upgrade to the latest and greatest phone......this is why I chose this deal, this tab plan. For koodo to break that and force me to give that up if I upgrade my phone is a breach of an ongoing contract. You guys can bring on all the smoke and mirrors you want. But any judge will see through it. If you can see what plan I have I am sure you have my phone number. Please do not hesitate to call.
Goran wrote:

Pretty pissed off about this actually and ready to go to the media, ombudsman and legal if I have to.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

It's not a breach of contract. Even before the new tab system a I said you would have to pay off whatever is left, and agree to a brand new tab. It is not grandfathered unlike what Wind for example does(I know people who still get 250-300 off a new phone despite the latest wind tabs only subsidizing 100 at most), and everyone who uses the positive tab balance agrees to a new tab system and that is the end of it. I used mine and that was it. You will not have to realistic chance to get anywhere via the legal route. I cannot remember the service agreement of t old tab system but if you're so committed as to attempt legal action, I'd first read I from start to finish and see if there's a provision saying as long as you're with Koodo you will gr to keep that specific tab forever.
Goran wrote:

Well, perhaps I will just pay 10 bucks a month and koodo should be OK with it because nothing is forever.....how would that go over? You can not arbitrary change an existing agreement and think everyone is going to take it up the bum. Get over yourself and play fair
Userlevel 7
Goran wrote:

Your plan doesn't change nor do the details of your plan change unless you want to upgrade to current market rules. In order to do that, you must pay off any negative tab. The reason? Each tab term must be made up of 24 payments. Tabs cannot be stacked because that would bring your term over 24 months which is illegal. You have the option of buying a device elsewhere and continuing to the use the service as you have by just placing your sim card in the new device. So you aren't forced to use Koodo to upgrade. Hope this helps, even if it isnt what you want to hear.
Goran wrote:

No it is not what I want to hear...when you say tabs can't be stacked because the term would be over two years....illegal. That is where we should have started!!! Basically my fine government changed the rules and screwed us little tab people.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Our fine government did it as as consumer protection implementation and despite its shortcomings I am quite Ok with it. It is the international standard and stopped tabs from dragging on for several years.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

@ Rick, just to make sure you are aware.....with exception of me all the other people you are interacting with here are other Koodo customers and can't see your personal details.