Koodo Community

Community

Question

Update Schedule Out of Date

So I am looking for info on upcoming software updates and when i come across the koodo update schedule i see that the info is way out of date. Is this going to be updated any time soon or will we all be left in the dark?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It doesn't seem like Koodo is maintaining the update schedule anymore. I'd suggest following the Telus schedule as a rough guide (i.e. don't expect the update to come out at the same time as Telus, but it shouldn't be too far behind): https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/Software-Update-Schedule/ta-p/53566
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not sure what you guys mean. This article is indeed maintained: 

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/upcoming-software-updates

How do you figure that. Today is September 22 and all the info that is currently listed is out of date.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Maillet wrote:

How do you figure that. Today is September 22 and all the info that is currently listed is out of...

Last update is form the 19th of September. No daily updates if that is what you are looking for. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Maillet wrote:

How do you figure that. Today is September 22 and all the info that is currently listed is out of...

If I recall, Koodo made a decision some time ago to indicate installed updates, rather than a schedule of future updates, as the crystal ball was becoming cloudy on ever more occasions.
Userlevel 6
Mark Maillet wrote:

Update schedules are a double edged sword. People complain when they aren't updated with an exact date, but they ALSO complain when the dates posted get missed.

The reason carriers hesitate to post firm dates for a system update is that they can change for various reasons. From issues found during carrier testing, to manufacturers pulling updates for issues; dates can change.

That's why they try to make it clear that update release dates are tentative. 🙂
Mark Maillet wrote:

I have an Essential phone which I don't see on the schedule. Essential released build NMJ20D in October. When can I expect to receive ? In addition to enhancements, this build includes a security patch for KRACK WPA2 vulnerability, so I don't want to wait too long. I sideloaded prior build, but would prefer a timely OTA update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Maillet wrote:

If you don't buy Essential phone from Koodo, then you have to contact the manufacturer to make inquiries about Android software update.
Mark Maillet wrote:

Thanks for the reply Azure. Essential has already released the update. I thought that each provider would then review and approve it before pushing it out to customers. Are you saying that because Koodo doesn't sell the phone they will not be receiving or pushing out updates? If that is the case I might have to switch providers. When I first activated the phone with Koodo it went through some updates. I hope that was not an exceptional circumstance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Maillet wrote:

@G MCL: what I am saying is, Koodo didn't sell your phone, they are not responsible for the android software update. Users and manufacturers are responsible for it.

Essential phone could have its own way to update itself regardless of the carriers. You have to check with them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Maillet wrote:

Whoever you bought it from will push the update for you. If you buy a phone from Koodo, they are responsible for pushing the update, buy from essential, they are responsible.
Mark Maillet wrote:

Thanks you both for the fast responses. I purchased the phone directly from Essential, so I will check with them.
Apparently since Koodo is owned by Telus, and Telus sells the Essential phone, I have to wait for Telus/Koodo to push the update out. If I switch to a different service provider that does not sell the phone or whose parent company does not sell the phone, I will get my updates directly from Essential. That is an option that I'm seriously considering.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
G McL wrote:

Apparently since Koodo is owned by Telus, and Telus sells the Essential phone, I have to wait fo...

The update gets pushed to you from whoever you bought it from. If what you are saying is true then if you took your SIM card out, (therefore your phone now has no connection between Koodo/Telus), then you will get the update right away. It's a big reason why people buy devices straight from the manufacturer, to get their update quicker.
Just a quick update. I purchased a SIM from a different provider for my PH-1 which I purchased directly from Essential. When I inserted the new SIM, my phone instantly updated. I don't think that Koodo customers should not have to go through the inconvenience and expense of using another provider's SIM, but it beats waiting months for a Koodo/Telus update.