Koodo Community

Community

Solved

update need help

i have a sgh-1717m Samsung galaxy note the phone is only a 4.0.4 version i tried to update it but it says no updates available i like the phone alot i have had it for about 3 years now but alot of apps i try to install say the version is to old. any one know how i can update my phone to a newer version ? thanks.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Jake,

Depending on your level of knowledge you may want to consider rooting and installing a custom rom (cyanogenmod maybe) that would be running a newer system. Do this at your own risk and make sure you read up on it before you attempt anythin.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Jake,

Depending on your level of knowledge you may want to consider rooting and installing a ...

unfortunately im not to good with technology i have tried to root my phone before i had no clue what i was doing i going step by step on some android forum.
Userlevel 7
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Jake,

Depending on your level of knowledge you may want to consider rooting and installing a ...

Well unfortunately also is that device wasn't scheduled to be updated past 4.0.4. So it's a custom Rom or you can sell that beast and upgrade.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Jake,

do you guys have a good link so i can try to root it? my old phone was rooted but i bought it used. my phone now is unlocked if that effects any thing
http://rootgalaxynote.com/galaxy-note-i717-roms/how-to-root-att-galaxy-note-sgh-i717-icsgingerbreade... this was the link i was trying to do i got to the select zip file but my phone never showed the zipfile or the superuser zip
Userlevel 7
Hi Jake,

I will reiterate my initial comment and say that if you are not very savy, that you should not do this. As much as going through step-by-step guides can help, there are always possibilities of something going wrong and bricking your phone by mistake. 

The guide you shared is as extensive and as easy as it possibly gets, with pictures and written instructions as well as a video, I'm not sure what else would help you at this point. Here is another guide that offers a bit of information as well.

Personally, I never really experimented with rooting devices. I did once, and even managed to flash a custom rom but that wasn't without difficulties either. I spent quite a few hours of research, trials and many errors. I had even bricked my phone at one point and managed to unbrick it afterwards.

Userlevel 3
A while ago I rooted my galaxy note i717 using the same link rootgalaxynote and had a simillar issues. When I tried it I could not get super user root access on my phone I can't remember what caused the issue was (was a little over two years ago). Finally I downloaded and used the ROM manager app (found on google play by clockworkmod) and it worked so maybe it might help you. 
Andrew wrote:

A while ago I rooted my galaxy note i717 using the same link rootgalaxynote and had a simillar is...

So i tried it again went step by step but i had the same problem again. I looked at that app in the play store it must be no good anymore the reviews are bad and they now offer a paid app the free app isnt any good. i guess i will just have to see if i can find a unlocked phone for a good deal or go to koodo.